Concealer: before or after foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When do you apply your concealer girls, before or after the foundation? Sometimes when I apply it after the foundation the concealer is more obvious , I mean it shows lighter than the foundation! Am I doing something wrong, does it need a specific blending?

Originally Posted by Trisha Soph, wheres your av pic gone?
anyway, i think concealer is best applied after fndt as you can see where its needed (your fndt should cover fairly well on its own), if you apply it before, you will wipe some off when applying your fndt.

If you are finding your concealer is looking too light, it maybe you have the wrong colour. Dont go a shade lighter than your skin, it just highlights the problem in most cases, if you do go lighter, you need to do some serious blending. I always recommend finding a yellow/beige toned concealer the same shade as your skin so any discolouration will be neutralised

HTH x

Well Trisha I didn't like my previous av pic so much!! But maybe I 'll put it again, i will think it!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Trisha the problem is not that my concealer is too light , it's light enough to cover my dark circles, if it wasn't a little lighter I think it wouldn't cover so much!! The proclem is with my foundation, is a tone darker, I use Clinique's Superfit make up, and the mua told me that that shade was for me, so I bought neutral 05, I don't know if you know the shade. But after along time using this foundation I figyred out that it was a tone darker, so when I put my concealer before, the foundation covers the lighter concealer and it's not so obvious!!

Originally Posted by Trisha do it the other way round then if you are happier with the outcome! next time your get fndt tho, make sure you are happy with the colour match! Yes I know!! Clinique doesn't have the right shade for me!!!

hey,

I always find that if I have a light concealer for use on its own and then a slightly darker one to use over foundation I have all bases covered... my usual concealer looks odd with foundation so its just a case of mix and match!!!

xxxc

There is never any reason to get a concealer any lighter than your actual shade unles you are using it as a highlighter...always match your skintone exactly(even if you have dark circles to cover) If it's a good enough concealer it should cover, if it doesn't then find another concealer. BUT if you want to make use of what you already have, apply your foundation first. Then mix your concealer with a little of your foundation so you can tone down the color a bit and apply only where needed.

Hey Sophia,

Maybe you can try a color corrector. I have slightly purpley tones under my eyes and I use a pink color corrector from Bobbi Brown. I actually use my foundation right on top of it and it looks good. I don't even need to use a concealer it blends really well. BB suggests to put the color corrector then the concealer then the foundation. But you may not even need all the 3 steps, I found I didn't and it looks less cakey around the eyes too.

i use concealers both lighter and my skintone and i find that they both look great. i always apply concealer after my foundation. i let the concealer dry for a minute or two then i dab and blend with a wedge or concealer brush. once the concealer is blended i apply studio fix or loose powder in my color on top of the concealer and it looks just fine.

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Hey Sophia,Maybe you can try a color corrector. I have slightly purpley tones under my eyes and I use a pink color corrector from Bobbi Brown. I actually use my foundation right on top of it and it looks good. I don't even need to use a concealer it blends really well. BB suggests to put the color corrector then the concealer then the foundation. But you may not even need all the 3 steps, I found I didn't and it looks less cakey around the eyes too.

oh really? you´re supposed to use color corrector then concealer then foundation? I`ll try that tomorrow (I usually apply the foundation first, then color corrector, then concealer)

thanks for the tip...btw, do they recommend to do this on BB´s website?

Both! on really bad days I apply concealer before and after foundation to make sure I get everything covered. I use a powder foundation so normally I'll just do concealer before foundation. If I'm using a creamy or liquid foundation I'll apply concealer after foundation. A lot of times the liquid foundation has enough coverage for me that I won't need concealer at all.

I PUT IT ON BE4 FOUNDATION THEN AFTER FOUNDATION I PUT A LITTLE OF MY FOUNDATION OVER THE CONCEALER TO BLEND IT. I USE PHILOSOPHY CONCEALER ITS REALLY GOOD IT HAS 3 SHADES SO I ALWAYS GET THE RIGHT COLOR CAUSE I USE ALL OF THEM AND BLEND NOBODY EVER KNOWS I WEAR CONCEALER AND I HAVE ALOT OF DARK CIRCLES HERES THE LINK.

Macy*s - Beauty - philosophy Concealer

If I wear a liquid, I apply my concealor after foundation, but before powder. If I'm wearing a powder foundation, I apply concealor first.

Originally Posted by Arielle oh really? you´re supposed to use color corrector then concealer then foundation? I`ll try that tomorrow (I usually apply the foundation first, then color corrector, then concealer)

thanks for the tip...btw, do they recommend to do this on BB´s website?

Hi Arielle,Well, I don't know if they "recommend it", but I went for a make over thingie at the BB counter and thats the order he applied everything in. What I do is apply the corrector first, then apply my foundation overtop that with my fingers. Then I put a translucent power lightly over that with a wedge sponge. I've never done it the way you ladies do it! Maybe I should try it that way and see my results
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by greeneyedangel Hi Arielle,Well, I don't know if they "recommend it", but I went for a make over thingie at the BB counter and thats the order he applied everything in. What I do is apply the corrector first, then apply my foundation overtop that with my fingers. Then I put a translucent power lightly over that with a wedge sponge. I've never done it the way you ladies do it! Maybe I should try it that way and see my results
biggrin.gif

interesting! I´ll try your way tomorrow...and you can try mine. then we can see what works better
biggrin.gif

Thanks you girls!!! I really like the concealer I have and I don't want to change it! But from what you say I think I'll have to blend it more!! Maybe I use the wrong technique!! I apply it with my fingers, and now I think I''ll buy a sponge to apply it!!

Originally Posted by FeistyFemme If I wear a liquid, I apply my concealor after foundation, but before powder. If I'm wearing a powder foundation, I apply concealor first. Ditto! I have tried using concealer first under liquid or cream bases, but it ends up making my foundation go on choppy and kind of 'ball' up where the concealer is...me no likey! How do you girls that do concealer first make that work?

Is color corrector and concealer the same? I notice that Trisha uses that YSL eclait stuff, forgot the name? What does that do?

anyway, i think concealer is best applied after fndt as you can see where its needed (your fndt should cover fairly well on its own), if you apply it before, you will wipe some off when applying your fndt.

If you are finding your concealer is looking too light, it maybe you have the wrong colour. Dont go a shade lighter than your skin, it just highlights the problem in most cases, if you do go lighter, you need to do some serious blending. I always recommend finding a yellow/beige toned concealer the same shade as your skin so any discolouration will be neutralised

HTH x

exactly what i was gonna say
smile.gif

hey trisha..

sorry for being a pain in the a**
icon_lol.gif
but i just wanna ask you about the concealer your using, and the shade, cause you and my sis have the same skin (color tone and oilieness if i might say
tongue.gif
) and she told me to ask you

if thats okay : )

thanks sophie for the the thread, it came in the right time
icon_biggrin.gif

HTH x

Originally Posted by **Jen** Is color corrector and concealer the same? I notice that Trisha uses that YSL eclait stuff, forgot the name? What does that do? No color correctors are applied to cancel out certain colors on your face. Ex. I use a pink/peach color corrector to take away the purple tones under my eyes. Some people use green correctors to take away redness. On top of the corrector comes the concealer. I don't use a concealer though. I find the corrector is enough and I put my foundation on top. I have ordered the BB concealer online and am waiting for it to arrive. I am curious to see how that would work. I got a makeover thing done at BB and when the MUA did it it looked really good.As for the YSL eclat I'd like to know what it does too. I don't think its a concealer, I think its a highlighter?

Latest posts

Back