Tightlining problems

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies,

Yesterday, for the first time, I have tried the tightlining technique and loved the look for the first 15 min. Next time I looked at the mirror it was something like this -
icon_evil.gif
- eye pencil all over my inner rim. Then I tried to remove it with my Clinique eye makeup remover... Guess what? I ended up with panda look like I have never seen in my life.......

What am I doing wrong?????
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
Help please, as I genuinely liked the look at first.

Cheers,

Audrey

Originally Posted by audrey Ladies,
Yesterday, for the first time, I have tried the tightlining technique and loved the look for the first 15 min. Next time I looked at the mirror it was something like this -
icon_evil.gif
- eye pencil all over my inner rim. Then I tried to remove it with my Clinique eye makeup remover... Guess what? I ended up with panda look like I have never seen in my life.......

What am I doing wrong?????
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
icon_question.gif
Help please, as I genuinely liked the look at first.

Cheers,

Audrey

Would really love to help out, but im really puzzled myself! What on earth is tightlining?? Never heard of this before

Newbie here but I hope I can shed some light on the tightlining
smile.gif

I think the most important thing is to get the color into the lashes. If you use a taklon brush dip the tip in the matte shadow or wet cakeliner, then you push and wiggle the color into the base of the lashes. You can do this from the top or underneath the lashes. I prefer doing it from the top myself.

If you on the other hand use a eyeliner pencil I find it to be a little bit smudgier, it's easier to get a clean look with the dry shadow or cake liner. I have found out to that the color transfers really easy to the bottom lashes and the inner rim of the lashes. When I use the eye pencil method I ususally take a pointy makup q-tip and clean up underneath the toplashes so that there is a minium amount that could end up on the lower rim of the eye.

Hope this could be of some help
smile.gif

Tightlining in general is done with a flat very thin brush and usually cake liner (a hard pot almost like eyeshadow that you must add water to).

The idea is not to line the inner rims (up or down) with the liner, but to line the area where the eyelashes meets the skin. You 'push' the brush into this area creating the illusion that your lashes are full - so instead of seeing your skin between the lashes, you see just the black (or brown, whatever you use).

The effect is very subtle. If you chose to apply under your upper lashes, then remember the idea is not to get the inner eye but just the base of the lashes still. Therefore, smudging should not be an issue.

hth

Originally Posted by shaztaf2003 Would really love to help out, but im really puzzled myself! What on earth is tightlining?? Never heard of this before Hi darling! I learnt about tightlining from the ladies of this wonderful forum, unfortunately I do not know how to insert the link from the forum into my message
icon_redface.gif
Ladies, thank you very much for your advice, I just thought an eye pencil will make it easier, but I will try a cake liner next. Once again, thank you :icon_love

Honestly it is all about what you use to tightline... I would recommend using MAC Fluidlines, they will NOT MOVE!! It is a gel like liner that once it sets it will stay put...

I tightlined with it the other day, and even when I had to rub my eye bc I got something in it, the Fluidline DIDN"T MOVE!! It was amazing...

Originally Posted by MACGoddess Honestly it is all about what you use to tightline... I would recommend using MAC Fluidlines, they will NOT MOVE!! It is a gel like liner that once it sets it will stay put...
I tightlined with it the other day, and even when I had to rub my eye bc I got something in it, the Fluidline DIDN"T MOVE!! It was amazing...

I completely agree with Leila. I use MAC fluidline Blacktrack for this and it really doesn´t move or get onto the lower inner rims. and I really line my upper inner rims, not just the base of the lashes-I just try to get as much color as possible...and the effect is awesome, yet not too much for a daytime look

Ladies, Thank you very much indeed. I am very tired of my current MU hence trying to find something new. I will try MAC and let you know how it works for me. Cheers, Audrey

Audrey, thank you for starting this thread as I am curious on this as well.

For those that recommend Fluidline....what brush is the best for this?

Jen

Originally Posted by Trisha like Andrea as well as tightlining i also line the upper inner rim, i prefer the effect it gives I use Stila Smugepot in Black with a flat liner brush like Stila #13 or MAC 212 x not wishing to appear silly, but how does it stay put (I mean lining the upper inner rim?) Jen, hopefully we will master the technique with the help of the lades!

Originally Posted by Trisha like Andrea as well as tightlining i also line the upper inner rim, i prefer the effect it gives Ditto! Except I'm stuck using a kohl pencil right now, but I would love to try a fluidline...

what pencil?

mac engraved pp

mac smolder kohl

stila onyx kajal liner

Originally Posted by Trisha you talking to me Lizzy??
id say Kajal cos its so soft and just glides along the inner rims and between the lashes x

yeah you. lol. j/k anyone that has them could answer, but i know you have those. hehe

Ladies,

I am so grateful for your advice. I am not really good at using makeup, as always used to stick to my basic routine: grey eyeliner, mascara, beige e/s, foundation (couple of months ago decided to try it and liked the effect) and a bronzer. Hence, genuinely need your help.

Once again, thank you all.

Originally Posted by audrey not wishing to appear silly, but how does it stay put (I mean lining the upper inner rim?) Jen, hopefully we will master the technique with the help of the lades! Audrey, I picked up some MAC Fluidline this weekend along with the brush, I think it was the 222 (the flat e/l brush with no angle), and OMG!!! I don't know how I lived without this for so long. I picked this up on Sat. and have played for two days and am in heaven....:icon_love. I was a bit shy at using a gel instead of a pencil, especially trying tightling but WOW. Serious definition with the Fluidline, huge!!! You've got to get your hands on this!! Not only did this make great for tightlining , but even as a top and bottom liner WOW. Even stays on the inner rim without budging. Very impressed. Good luck!!
Jen

Originally Posted by jennifer5488 Audrey, I picked up some MAC Fluidline this weekend along with the brush, I think it was the 222 (the flat e/l brush with no angle), and OMG!!! I don't know how I lived without this for so long. I picked this up on Sat. and have played for two days and am in heaven....:icon_love. I was a bit shy at using a gel instead of a pencil, especially trying tightling but WOW. Serious definition with the Fluidline, huge!!! You've got to get your hands on this!! Not only did this make great for tightlining , but even as a top and bottom liner WOW. Even stays on the inner rim without budging. Very impressed. Good luck!!
Jen

Jen!!! This is killing me! I am no near of any decent cosmetic store at this point in time, so will have to wait until end of October. Once I get my hands on MAC Fluidline I will let you know the result.
Cheers, Audrey

Latest posts

Back