Stippling Foundation vs. Foundation Brush

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I didn't start using liquid foundation until recently, and as of now I'm using the sonia kashuk sponge. Wondering about the differences, in terms of finish for example, between stippling on foundation with a 109 or duo fibre brush versus using a foundation brush? Which method is better in your opinion?
smile.gif

i have tried the stippling brush, the other flat paddle brush(like the MAC 190), a sponge for applying foundation but frankly i dint find anything special with brush or sponge application because at the end of the application one has to blend with fingers no matter with whatever brush or sponge you apply it..atleast thats what i do because i dont get that complete feeling till i dont touch my applied foundation with my fingers l0l..so i end up blending it with my fingers..brushes are good if you want a medium to full coverage maybe..i just like that sheer natural finish i get when i use my fingers for applying and blending..hmm and the problem with sponge i have noticed is that it soaks the best part of the foundation and leaves only a dry(powdery) layer of it on your face though it gives a sheer finish but still after a long research i felt fingers are fine for foundation application..and yes..only liquid foundation..because stick foundation and cream foundation may need a brush or sponge(maybe..not sure cuz i dont use stick or cream foundation)..all i cay say is it all depends on the type of coverage and finish you want..hope my lecture wasnt boring:p
smile.gif

I don't have a problem using any one for liq. foundation. They say stippling is supposed to make you look airbrushed afterward, but I really can't tell. I mean it does allow you to layer your foundation, but use less product overall. So you can get light, but easily build to opaque coverage.

With a foundation brush some ppl get streaks because the brush does disturb any layers beneath it.

For a brush like the 109, I don't stipple, I buff like you would with a kabuki (my fave method) It also allows you to layer on the foundation for light to opaque coverage.

Sponges, I use to blend. But imo, you have to dampen them for them to really work and absorb less of your product.

And sometimes it's fun to put on foundation with your fingers! I think brushes and sponges are a hygienic issue more than anything else...

You mentioned finish... I'm not sure that a brush gives you a particular finish... I think finish is a function of the foundation you use. The brush could manipulate the coverage, but not the finish.

Just my $0.02

What Reese said lol.
biggrin.gif
I find the flat paddle brush(MAC 190) to be faster for application, but it uses a bit more product. I like my stippling brush(MAC 187), but it takes a bit more time and I find that I accidentally get my eye area somewhat frequently(though it uses the least amount of product). So paddle would be better, in terms of more control, if you do your eyeshadow first. I have never had streaking with either brush. I find sponges to give heavier coverage, use the most foundation(even when wet), and the take the most time to use.

PrincessMiracle I have never had to finish applying foundation with my fingers.

Just to add my opinion real quick, I think stippling the foundation on takes less time than applying with a foundation brush because you can cover more ground in one movement.

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have a question!
smile.gif

People always say that using your fingers is unhygienic. HOW? If I wash my hands and my face before applying each time, how can it be unhygienic?

I have never understood this!

i will almost always use my 187, because it takes less time to blend and uses less foundation and i feel like i look a bit more natural. and if i am having a not so great skin day, like some serious dark circles or super redness from weather, i will use my traditional dior foundation brush.

and if i need even less coverage or am just feeling like spending 30 seconds on my foundation, i will mix sephora perfection primer with my foundation and just apply with my fingers like moisturizer.

bacteria is the issue with hands and foundation hygiene, but my foundations are either pumped or sprayed, so thats not really an issue for me.

187 is nice, but i'm always too impatient to completely stipple...i end up just spreading it on. foundation brush like 190 feels like i'm painting a wall, i don't like it and always feel i've got on too much makeup with it. 109 i like for application, but mine seems to be on never ending shed..i hate picking hairs off my face. i do like the 188 brush to apply foundation better than the 187, but i rarely use it because it feels like it takes too long.

obviously, i don't use brushes for liquid foundation.

Originally Posted by brewgrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif i will almost always use my 187, because it takes less time to blend and uses less foundation and i feel like i look a bit more natural. and if i am having a not so great skin day, like some serious dark circles or super redness from weather, i will use my traditional dior foundation brush.and if i need even less coverage or am just feeling like spending 30 seconds on my foundation, i will mix sephora perfection primer with my foundation and just apply with my fingers like moisturizer.

bacteria is the issue with hands and foundation hygiene, but my foundations are either pumped or sprayed, so thats not really an issue for me.

I agree with this 100%! I always find myself using my 187 for both liquid and mineral foundation. The one thing I always always always do no matter what type of foundation I am using is - spritz some Fix+ on my 187 and blend away. I find that the Fix+ helps my makeup glide on my skin and blends easily. I use Studio Sculpt and Mineralize Skinfinish Loose.
I use my Dior foundation brush (Mac 190) to apply and blend my concealer. Makes it super fast and easy and I find that the brush picks up less product vs using my ring finger. I can control and build the coverage I need waaay better this way.

I agree with BrewGrl 100%! I always find myself using my 187 for both liquid and mineral foundation. The one thing I always always always do no matter what type of foundation I am using is - spritz some Fix+ on my 187 and blend away. I find that the Fix+ helps my makeup glide on my skin and blends easily. I use Studio Sculpt and Mineralize Skinfinish Loose.

I use my Dior foundation brush (Mac 190) to apply and blend my concealer. Makes it super fast and easy and I find that the brush picks up less product vs using my ring finger. I can control and build the coverage I need waaay better this way.

I don't use liquid foundation, I use studio fix powder with foundation in it. I use my 187 brush, and I have heard you can use it with foundation. If you apply the right way, you can achieve an air brush look.

Latest posts

Back