-->

Welcome Guest to MakeupTalk

Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others in our MakeupTalk Forums
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get notification & email updates
  • Get your personal profile page and make new friends in our Community
  • Submit your reviews about Makeup Products and get feedback from other users
  • Send personal messages to other members

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic

Sponsors

Become a Forum Sponsor!
Photo

Can I go darker with semi-permanent over highlights?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 8 OFFLINE   Arielle123

Arielle123

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 01-May 08
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:00 AM

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and couldn't find anything that asked this specific question... I know nothing about hair and would love somebody who has such knowledge to help me out

So I have naturally dark blond hair and got highlights a couple months ago. I've used clairol natural instincts semi permanent hair color in the past to go brunette with great results. I used a darker color than I was 'supposed' to and got a great brunette color that lasted longer than the 28 washes just lightened gradually but lasted longer because I went darker than I should've according to the box.

I'd love to do that again but I'm wondering what happens if you use a dark(ish) semi-permanent color over blond highlights? Will that totally mess things up or would I get the brunette that I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give me and sorry for the long winded question!

#Post 2 of 8 OFFLINE   Aprill

Aprill

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,482 posts
  • Joined 09-January 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

Yes, of course eventually the semi will wash out but yeah you can do that! usuallly ends up prettier than the original highlights!

#Post 3 of 8 OFFLINE   Arielle123

Arielle123

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 01-May 08
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:23 AM

Even though now my hair is several different shades of blond? Some of it quite light? I wasn't sure if the brunette semi-perm would grab more to the highlighted hair or something like that, since I'm going to be going quite a bit darker than I am now.

#Post 4 of 8 OFFLINE   katnahat

katnahat

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined 20-March 07
Reviews

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:11 PM

I just colored my hair. I went back to my natural color. My hair was heavily highlighted blond. I did a test with permanent light brown (it is actually a dark color) on one strip of hair and it didn't turn at all. I got the darkest brown and it worked. It even matched my natural color.

I did it about two weeks ago. It has already lightened up a LOT. It's still very brown but no where near as dark as it was. So, if your hair is very light it will take a dark color to get it to grab. Semi-permanent or permanent is going to fade. Permanent, of course, less and much slower. I would say my brown has lightened by about 5 shades in a little more than two weeks. I used Preference by Loreal #4 Dark Brown.
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
Kat ^-^

Hatter!

#Post 5 of 8 OFFLINE   Arielle123

Arielle123

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 01-May 08
Reviews

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by katnahat View Post
I just colored my hair. I went back to my natural color. My hair was heavily highlighted blond. I did a test with permanent light brown (it is actually a dark color) on one strip of hair and it didn't turn at all. I got the darkest brown and it worked. It even matched my natural color.

I did it about two weeks ago. It has already lightened up a LOT. It's still very brown but no where near as dark as it was. So, if your hair is very light it will take a dark color to get it to grab. Semi-permanent or permanent is going to fade. Permanent, of course, less and much slower. I would say my brown has lightened by about 5 shades in a little more than two weeks. I used Preference by Loreal #4 Dark Brown.
Thank you so much! I'm not up for the maintenance of perm. color but wanted to make sure that semi-perm. would still be ok. So i guess they're both ok on light hair the only difference is the fading and amount of time that it'll last. Which would be ok with me (if it doesn't last a super long time).

#Post 6 of 8 OFFLINE   HairEgo

HairEgo

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • Joined 25-January 09
Reviews

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Placing a dark semi over a blonde highlight, you will never go back to the original shade of blonde you had before you put the semi on it. It will always have a different hue to it. However, semi's are a fab way to test out a new look before making the commitment!
*+ Beauty: One Size Fits All +*

#Post 7 of 8 OFFLINE   Claire Sparks

Claire Sparks

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 03-November 12
Reviews

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

hi I would just like to say, I always had highlighted hair and one day decided I wanted to retern to brunette, I decided to use a semi permenent colour and with dissasterous results!! I ended up with black hair where the Highlights was, and brown roots Omg it was awefull, so be carefull. In the end I  had to re- bleach my hair then re colour with a permenent colour,  quite damaging wished I had used permenent to start with. :)

#Post 8 of 8 OFFLINE   Veena

Veena

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-December 11
Reviews

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

I think you can because the semi would wash out eventually! You will look gorgeous with that combination!! Hope it works out!