Can I go darker with semi-permanent over highlights?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search and couldn't find anything that asked this specific question... I know nothing about hair and would love somebody who has such knowledge to help me out
smile.gif

So I have naturally dark blond hair and got highlights a couple months ago. I've used clairol natural instincts semi permanent hair color in the past to go brunette with great results. I used a darker color than I was 'supposed' to and got a great brunette color that lasted longer than the 28 washes just lightened gradually but lasted longer because I went darker than I should've according to the box.

I'd love to do that again but I'm wondering what happens if you use a dark(ish) semi-permanent color over blond highlights? Will that totally mess things up or would I get the brunette that I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help you can give me and sorry for the long winded question!

Yes, of course eventually the semi will wash out but yeah you can do that! usuallly ends up prettier than the original highlights!

Even though now my hair is several different shades of blond? Some of it quite light? I wasn't sure if the brunette semi-perm would grab more to the highlighted hair or something like that, since I'm going to be going quite a bit darker than I am now.

I just colored my hair. I went back to my natural color. My hair was heavily highlighted blond. I did a test with permanent light brown (it is actually a dark color) on one strip of hair and it didn't turn at all. I got the darkest brown and it worked. It even matched my natural color.

I did it about two weeks ago. It has already lightened up a LOT. It's still very brown but no where near as dark as it was. So, if your hair is very light it will take a dark color to get it to grab. Semi-permanent or permanent is going to fade. Permanent, of course, less and much slower. I would say my brown has lightened by about 5 shades in a little more than two weeks. I used Preference by Loreal #4 Dark Brown.

Originally Posted by katnahat /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just colored my hair. I went back to my natural color. My hair was heavily highlighted blond. I did a test with permanent light brown (it is actually a dark color) on one strip of hair and it didn't turn at all. I got the darkest brown and it worked. It even matched my natural color.
I did it about two weeks ago. It has already lightened up a LOT. It's still very brown but no where near as dark as it was. So, if your hair is very light it will take a dark color to get it to grab. Semi-permanent or permanent is going to fade. Permanent, of course, less and much slower. I would say my brown has lightened by about 5 shades in a little more than two weeks. I used Preference by Loreal #4 Dark Brown.

Thank you so much! I'm not up for the maintenance of perm. color but wanted to make sure that semi-perm. would still be ok. So i guess they're both ok on light hair the only difference is the fading and amount of time that it'll last. Which would be ok with me (if it doesn't last a super long time).

Placing a dark semi over a blonde highlight, you will never go back to the original shade of blonde you had before you put the semi on it. It will always have a different hue to it. However, semi's are a fab way to test out a new look before making the commitment!

hi I would just like to say, I always had highlighted hair and one day decided I wanted to retern to brunette, I decided to use a semi permenent colour and with dissasterous results!! I ended up with black hair where the Highlights was, and brown roots Omg it was awefull, so be carefull. In the end I  had to re- bleach my hair then re colour with a permenent colour,  quite damaging wished I had used permenent to start with. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think you can because the semi would wash out eventually! You will look gorgeous with that combination!! Hope it works out!

Back