Things that surprisingly dry your skin out

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
namib-desert-air-p-50.2.jpg

Bellasugar reports that as the weather gets windier and chillier, most of us will fight a round or two with dry skin. And while the weather is partially responsible, a lot of products you use every day, some of which are intended to stave off dryness, actually dehydrate your skin. To find out what could be chapping you, just read more.

Lip balm. Yup, you might love them, but these little beauties commonly have ingredients like menthol and camphor, both of which actually dry out lips even more.

Hand sanitizer. The alcohol in them and lack of water can dry your hands out and make your nails brittle.

Fragranced hand lotion. The problem with lotion isn't the product itself, but constant reapplication. You only need to put it on once or twice a day. More than that and you can injure your skin's moisture barrier by constantly taking it from dry to wet.

Warm water. A piping hot shower feels great when everything around you is freezing, but it strips your skin of its natural oils, drying it and making it more vulnerable.

High-lathering soaps. It's really satisfying to work up a good lather, but the surfactants that make some products so bubbly actually dry your skin instead of soothing it.

Treating Dry Skin | Skin Care, Dry Skin | BellaSugar - Makeup, Beauty, Hair & Skin

Thanks for the tips Karren. What is best for the lips? I haaate dry lips! I usually just go for straight up Vaseline. Probably not the best but it feels so good!

Hand sanitizer is really drying.. I need to use hand cream straight after it...

I had to stop using moisturizers completely. They all actually dried me out to the flaking point. I have this one small spot on my face that always seems to be dry so thought using moisturizers and cleansers would hel it go away and after a couple weeks, my entire face was doing the very same thing. I stopped using them altogether and am back to the one small spot again.

I did read an article about lip balm - my lips were super super dry for a couple of weeks, they're only just recovering now

i read that eye cream is supposed to be more moisturizing than lip balm, so you can use that... but honestly, i just stay away from lipstuff that "tingles" and "penetrates"... waxy lip balms that slather and coat work best to keep in moisture.

Originally Posted by Salem /img/forum/go_quote.gif Thanks for the tips Karren. What is best for the lips? I haaate dry lips! I usually just go for straight up Vaseline. Probably not the best but it feels so good! If you have nothing else, vaseline is good, however on a daily basis, i prefer a stick lipbalm with no vaseline in it. Try to find lipbalms with natural butters such as shea, mango, cocoa, and oils. Dr Theiss, Lavera, Logona are brands i absolutely adore (organic) for the lipbalms, but a small pot of shea butter is enough. Burt's Bees lipbalms are great and inexpensive, Nuxe's honey lipbalm is wonderful but pricey.
Antibacterial gels are not so good because they kill all bacteria with no discrimination, also destroying the thin coat of friendly bacteria that protects your skin, plus some contain alcohol that is also drying.

I also agree about soaps, it's all about the ingredients list actually. If you skin is really dry, avoid sodium laureth sulfate, go for creamy products instead of gels, and the showers should be short in time as too much hot water will cause more harm than good.

I don't personally recommend the superfatted soaps, supposedly good but they dried my skin even more.

Latest posts

Back