Very Thin Nails (Removed Fakes & Need Help)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been wearing fake nails (yes, the glue on kind that you buy at the drugstore & cover your entire real nail) for a very long time.

I finally removed the fake nails, and have decided to grow out my real nails.

The problem is that my real nails are now tissue paper thin...literally. I filed what was left of them very short, but my real nails are so, so thin that they are splitting down the middle & practically peel off.

I tried putting nail strengthner on them, but my nails & fingers hurt and burned for about 15 minutes after polishing them.

Help! What can I use to protect my paper thin nails (that won't burn while applying it) in the meantime, until my nails grow out?
bawling.gif

Hi there,

Dont worry just let your nails breathe. Your nail beds will feel sore for sometime...But they need healing time. Unless you actually hurt the matrix area [area that meets the flesh uptop] then you should not worry about your nails remaining thin. That will go away.

I have been in the nail profession for over 28 years, I have seen it all, but do not get scared your nail beds will heal. Tearing off fake nails will take the top layers of your nail beds and that is why they are sore. Just keep putting natural and/or organic nutrients on your nail beds for the 1st week or two. Hope this helped.

Get cuticle oil on those babies quick smart! You need to keep those nails hydrated. I also suggest taking a silica supplement. Silicea helps strengthen the bodies connective tissue, which is the nails,skin and hair. Taking that and applying cuticle everyday will make a huge difference in the condition of yours nails. It will take some time for your nails to heal, but persevere
smile.gif

i wouldnt do anything. No polish on them nothing.

your nail will not magicly thiken you will have to wait for new nail to grow out. but for the time being skip the polish (which can thin nails) and just keep them short to keep breakage to a minimum

RobinCT I know just what you're going through. I too had been wearing falsies and decided to remove them only to find my natural nails in shambles. Honestly, I did just what Orangeeyecrayon suggested... nothing! I let them have time to heal and repair themselves on their own and then started a NailTek nail treatment for soft peeling nails. It's really good stuff. Just be patient with your nails though as it will take some time for them to return to their normal state.

Back