Launching my own makeup line

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello there, my name is Anndrea and I am 19 years old. It has been my dream for about 4 years now to launch my own makeup line I will call "HF". I have a slew of names picked out, my logo, font face and product containers designed and advertisements layout planned... pretty much everything but an actual product. I have the dedication to bring this baby to full term and then holding it's hand til it grows to have a mind of it's own. I know a few other people have asked this same question, but after a lot of research I thought this would be my best way to learn how I should go about this.

I heard that traditionally I should outsource my makeup to a company that makes makeup for this sort of thing, but that seems very generic. I want to make my own shades of intense in your face colors if that makes sense? Is there a way to make my own in small quantities until I sell them at a show or anything? I don't plan on making the same generic line.. I'm different and mosh to a beat of a different drum, and so will "HF". I'm making products I wish was available now.

I guess what I'm asking, what steps need to be taken? like step one do this step two? I feel like this is my only option, I feel it deep in my lungs, this is what I am meant to do. I just don't know what else I can possibly do now; you can only plan so much.

Thanks so much for any advice/help you can give me.

Here are a few important things I found out:

- Set up an official company (Corporation, LLC or DBA)

- Get any licenses needed to sell your cosmetics (varies based on your state and type of cosmetics you are selling).

- Find a place where you will work to create your cosmetics

- Buy equipment to manufacture your cosmetics

- Buy basic cosmetic ingredients

- Formulate and making your cosmetics

- Decide on and buying packaging for the cosmetics

- Work out a pricing structure

- Write up product labels (See FDA resource for guidelines)

- Advertise your cosmetics

- Set up a system to ship the cosmetics to customers

Here is an example of a company that will formulate your cosmetics for you.

Cosmetics private label and custom Cosmetics Formulating

Cosmetics Formulation and private label brands

Good luck! I hope everything goes well and when you launch your makeup line please let us know! we will be glad to try your stuff out =D

I am not in any way trying to discourage you, but it was very hard for me to get any kind of help in starting my own cosmetics company. Let me tell you my story and maybe you can learn from my mistakes. I am a graphic designer and I studied package design, so I mocked up my own cosmetics line, including the logo, business name, website and the product packaging. I brought the collection to one of my design mentors and she loved it, I even created business cards, and a sample brochure. Everything looked like it was ready to go, all I needed was the makeup itself and to find a way that someone could mass produce the packaging that went along with it. I saw a girl wearing an amazing lipgloss at a club one night and I asked her what it was. She told me that her aunt owned a makeup company and ran it all from her own home. She was a makeup artist that also sold her products to her clients. I got the aunt's number and called her right away to ask her how she got started. The aunt told me that her cosmetics were very high quality and that I should be prepared to sell at mid to high-end prices. I was fine with that, although my makeup brand was geared towards teens and young adults with very neon colored and bright packaging. She gave me the email address to a company in New York that formulates and packaged her cosmetics (not packaged in boxes, but just the general lip stick tube or compact) and I wrote them a very long letter explaining what I wanted to do. They never responded, so I called them several times ( I found their website, which had VERY little information) and left messages and they never called back. I contact the aunt again and she never responded to me, either! I have a feeling that since her and I lived in the same town, that she didn't want any competition and she knew that my line was going to kick some butt. It's possible that she could have been a little evil and told them not to do business with me. I had a strong feeling since she never talked to me again. I am STILL bummed to this day (it's been like 5 years since I tried this) that I couldn't figure this out on my own. I really, really wanted to use the products from that company, they were awesome. Ughhh.. I would love to give it another shot, but I cannot find for the life of me, another company that has nice products that I could sell. When I move into a bigger place, I am going to set up a room like a makeup studio and try a business there. Let me know if you find any product companies and I will keep a list. I looked online just the other day for a product company but could not find anything.

:/ thank you so much for telling me your story... I got seriously discouraged while reading that because I can only imagine how frustrating that is... I have no doubt she did try to squash you. That's not very nice of her as you know.. she probably was jealous... I hope that you get another shot and that you find that company. If I do, I will definitely let you know! You sound like you had a lot more planning done *not to say that I don't* it's a shame. I believe that if it's meant to happen, it will find a way. I'm not out to become super mega rich or to do this so I can live a lavish lifestyle. I feel like it's an itch that I need to scratch,...that the world is missing this almost. That sounds really lame haha and I know my concept isn't entirely original or like it hasn't been done. I don't know what i'm saying. I'm not going to stop until I knock on every bodies door if that's needed, and I will share any information I find with you :]

thanks again

please see my last post, that was sopost to go to you, im new to this site.

Thank you very much!!! If the stars align right and I make it I definitely will!!

Congratulations on having the drive and tenacity to start your own business. Good for you!

First thing, have you come with a business and sales plan that is written down?

Second, have you determined how you will finance your company?

Third, register your company name & webiste now before someone else scoops it up.

I would definitely out source unless you are willing to make the large investment in equipment. You can still make things your own, you would just work with the company who will manufacture your products to come up with your own formula's/colors. This of course will add a significant cost to your product but thats how you make it your own.

Hi

I read your story with fascination quite some time  ago and  have come back now to find it now perhaps a year or so after I first came across this website.  I remembered you had mentioned a company in new york who you had tried to contact to develop your makeup line.  I live in London uk and am interested in developing a line of make up for women of colour.  I was interested in taking a look at their website for itdeas of design and ccolour range to give me ideas as a starting point.  Wondered if you were able still to share the company name, details, websuite and contact details still.  Hopw you don't mind me contacting you.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you are able to offer. Did you manage to get your own line started?

I'm also trying to start a lipstick line of my own. I've been searching on google and trying to get advice from other ppl as well. So far the hardest part has been finding a lab to make the lipstick for me. If I find something soon or any other info I will definitely let you know!!we must empower one another! Good luck 😊

Quote: Originally Posted by Indy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm also trying to start a lipstick line of my own. I've been searching on google and trying to get advice from other ppl as well. So far the hardest part has been finding a lab to make the lipstick for me. If I find something soon or any other info I will definitely let you know!!we must empower one another! Good luck 😊

Good luck! I would suggest, to locate a lab, is to attend Cosmoprof North America trade show in Vegas as there are numerous PLMs and labs there plus packaging companies.

http://www.cosmoprofnorthamerica.com/

Back