-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

The Return of the MakeupTalk Product Review Center! read more...

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Best Foundation to cover acne/acne scars?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 45 OFFLINE   CoverGirl

CoverGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06
Reviews

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:40 AM

I have horrible skin! What do you lovelys recommend?

#Post 2 of 45 OFFLINE   breathless

breathless

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Joined 06-August 05
Reviews

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

the foundation i personally use is liquid foundation. i have bad acne scars and reddening. but i dont get acne anymore. i still have the proof that i had them years ago!! ew. so, i use my moisturizer, primer, then i use my mac 187 to buff in my liquid foundation. after that, i use my concealer from nyc brand and pat with my ring finger to blend on any spots that need to be touched up. some people use translucent powder, etc. but i dont =/ i never have a problem with fading or melting, etc.
i use MAC foundation in Studio Fix Fluid [on days where i will be around company like at a party, etc], MAC foundation in Studio Sculpt [when i know pictures will be taken], or Maybelline Dream Mousse liquid on an everyday basis.

#Post 3 of 45 OFFLINE   kabuki_killer

kabuki_killer

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Joined 27-November 08
Reviews

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:46 PM

Maybe something creamy and oil-free. This stuff usually has the best coverage.

Be sure to cleanse your face, moisturize and use a primer before. =P

#Post 4 of 45 OFFLINE   Ingrid

Ingrid

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Joined 17-March 10
Reviews

Posted 17 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

I would recommend powder foundation and then use concealer to cover your spots. I don't know whether or not you are still breaking out, but if you are, try to avoid liquid foundation, liquid foundation is great for people with normal and dry skin, not so much for oily skin. liquid foundation is too heavy and sometimes it would cause worse break outs.
If you still have breakouts, you should try mineral powder foundation, I would recommend Jane Iredale or Laura merciers. They both have great coverage and last a long time. They won't clog your pores and are oil-free.
Hi I am Ingrid and I am a shopaholic

#Post 5 of 45 OFFLINE   mebs786

mebs786

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
Reviews

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

Revlon Colorstay Foundation has great coverage and staying power...

#Post 6 of 45 OFFLINE   magosienne

magosienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,321 posts
  • Joined 02-May 06
Reviews

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

On a daily basis i use a mineral foundation, the result remains natural while covering everything i want covered. I make sure i get one formulated for combination to oily skins with a medium buildable to heavy coverage.

Make sure you use a mattifying base under your foundation, it truly makes a difference and it helps your foundation staying on longer.

I disagree with a previous poster, you can wear liquid foundation, just make sure it's fomulated for oily skins.

#Post 7 of 45 OFFLINE   cherryblossom13

cherryblossom13

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • Joined 29-August 05
Reviews

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

I have acne scars too, and I HATE them. I just make sure I moisturize, use primer, and for concealer try Clinique advanced concealer or Dermablend. I also use Revlon Colorstay. It has great coverage, but if you are still breaking out, I wouldn't reccomend it unless you wash it off as soon as you get home. Then se it all with powder. I use Clinique.
Prescriptives had great full coverage foundations,and were my saving grace when I was breaking out really bad, but the company closed in January. If you can find their makeup on ACW or at a CCo outlet, you should try that.
Also, when you sleep maybe use Merderma, or Bio Oil.....I find that while it not not make the scars go away, it does help the appearence.

#Post 8 of 45 OFFLINE   Dalylah

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts
  • Joined 08-July 09
Reviews

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Heavy foundations will cover much better but honestly it comes at a price if you have sensitive or acne prone skin. Colorstay covers just about everything but when I use it, I break out a lot more. It is so thick and sludgy. Revlon Photoready isn't as heavy as Colorstay and does a pretty good job with coverage. My recommendation is to wear something light like a tinted moisturizer with spf or an oil free with lighter coverage for your normal days and then go for the heavier stuff when you are going out in the evenings or to events.

If you are having a hard time healing your face then make sure to keep it clean, don't over scrub it, drink tons of water and keep your hands off of it.

#Post 9 of 45 OFFLINE   Smokey Eye

Smokey Eye

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Joined 25-May 08
Reviews

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

I honestly hate my skin. It has acne scars PLUS is very oily & extremely sensitive, which is the WORST combination! I'm currently looking for other products I like better, but here's my current makeup routine, in which my skin looks good after I do this:

Wash w/ Glucosamine Skin Resurfacing Cleanser: Serious Skin Care Glucosamine Acid-Free Skin Resurfacing Cleanser at HSN.com
Also, am trying out First Aid Beauty face cleanser, which seems good (sold online & at Sephora): First Aid Beauty

Mattifier: Laura Gellar makes a good cream one called Welcome Matte Skin Enhancer: http://www.lauragell....-skin-enhancer
Also trying Urban Decay's De-Slick Oil control Makeup Setting Spray: Urban Decay Cosmetics - De-Slick Oil control Makeup Setting Spray

Foundation: I mix Estee Lauder's Double Matte liquid foundation w/ a foundation stick. I use IMAN makeup foundation stick, but in place of it, I'll be trying Shu Uemura's stick foundation.

I'll cover various acne spots w/ Clinique's All About Eyes concealer: All About Eyes Concealer > Concealers > Makeup > Clinique

Powder: I like powder foundation, which has more coverage. Sephora brand is pretty good. I also l ike NARS.

Then, I use powder blush & eye shadows. I like MAC. I also use eye liner & mascara.

It may sound like a lot, but it looks good to me when I'm done. I don't put a thick layer on of anything. It takes me a good 15-20 min to do my makeup daily.
~ Makeup Enhances Beauty ~

#Post 10 of 45 OFFLINE   xjackie83

xjackie83

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Joined 24-January 06
Reviews

Posted 21 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

I'm all about the mineral makeup when it comes to covering up bad skin.

#Post 11 of 45 OFFLINE   Makeupchick23

Makeupchick23

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined 08-March 10
Reviews

Posted 22 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

Have you tried Rose Hip Oil for your acne scars? Its awesome stuff! I agree with xjackie83 about mineral makeup! Its gives great coverage while being natural and not OTT. Check out my fave brand - pinq.me website for samples.

Oh and Kosmea or Bio-Oil are great brands for Rose Hip Oil!

#Post 12 of 45 OFFLINE   CoverGirl

CoverGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06
Reviews

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:06 AM

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I really appreciate how detailed you guys are.

#Post 13 of 45 OFFLINE   katnahat

katnahat

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Joined 20-March 07
Reviews

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:03 PM

Maybelline Dream LIQUID Mouse. This is fabulous foundation!
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
Kat ^-^

Hatter!

#Post 14 of 45 OFFLINE   CoverGirl

CoverGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06
Reviews

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

lol this thread is so old I forgot all about it! My skin has cleared up tremendously. I use normal (or no) foundation now.

Thanks for the post though! I will let my sister know about the Clinique.

#Post 15 of 45 ONLINE   Kyuu

Kyuu

/人◕‿‿◕人\

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Joined 16-August 12
Reviews

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by CoverGirl View Post

lol this thread is so old I forgot all about it! My skin has cleared up tremendously. I use normal (or no) foundation now.

Thanks for the post though! I will let my sister know about the Clinique.

Can I ask for your secret to it?

): I have really bad acne scars and really sensitive skin which scars really easily...I feel self-conscious all the time but I don't think it's as bad I always think... it just is a blow to my self esteem. What did you end up doing or did it just go away? Because it's been 10 years now and while my skin is a lot better, my scars are still all here...

#Post 16 of 45 OFFLINE   clairejhon

clairejhon

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 16-October 12
Reviews

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

if you are looking for high end powder based foundation then go for 
1. Clinique Almost Makeup Powder
2. Eve Pearl Dual HD Foundation 
OR 
You can try budgetary
1. Milani Minerals Compact Makeup" 
2. Maybelline Dream Smooth Mousse

They are very good products and also recommended by experts and won the editors choice award for 2012.

#Post 17 of 45 OFFLINE   CoverGirl

CoverGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Joined 21-December 06
Reviews

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Can I ask for your secret to it?

): I have really bad acne scars and really sensitive skin which scars really easily...I feel self-conscious all the time but I don't think it's as bad I always think... it just is a blow to my self esteem. What did you end up doing or did it just go away? Because it's been 10 years now and while my skin is a lot better, my scars are still all here...

Absolutely! For me it's mostly two things:

1.) Less junk food + more healthy food (like fruits/vegetables). I'm by no means saying I eat 100% healthy, but I try to eat mostly healthy, which I did not before. Beverages count!

2.) I had some light facial hair, which I would try all kinds of hair removal methods to remove. It was just a lot of wear, tear and chemicals. I have done a few laser hair removal treatments, and now most of the hair is gone, and I can let my skin just be.

And do to these things, I also wear far less makeup. Always good to let your skin breathe! I know it can be hard when you're self-conscious, but even going for lighter foundations or spot covering is so good for you. I used to wear a full face of foundation ever day, no more!

#Post 18 of 45 ONLINE   Kyuu

Kyuu

/人◕‿‿◕人\

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts
  • Joined 16-August 12
Reviews

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by CoverGirl View Post

Absolutely! For me it's mostly two things:

1.) Less junk food + more healthy food (like fruits/vegetables). I'm by no means saying I eat 100% healthy, but I try to eat mostly healthy, which I did not before. Beverages count!

2.) I had some light facial hair, which I would try all kinds of hair removal methods to remove. It was just a lot of wear, tear and chemicals. I have done a few laser hair removal treatments, and now most of the hair is gone, and I can let my skin just be.

And do to these things, I also wear far less makeup. Always good to let your skin breathe! I know it can be hard when you're self-conscious, but even going for lighter foundations or spot covering is so good for you. I used to wear a full face of foundation ever day, no more!

Unfortunately, those things don't help me very much... I'm pretty sure mine is mostly genetic rather than dietary/habits considering I've been getting cystic acne since I was 12. Vegetables/fruit is already a pretty regular part of my diet, and my intake of crappy foods is pretty far in between...

Well, thanks anyway. I'll just keep fighting the good fight. :') I'm happy for your success!

#Post 19 of 45 OFFLINE   Lylla

Lylla

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 19-November 12
Reviews

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

I was reading through this post to see what foundation can make my acne scars from years ago disappear.

I still remember when I was suffering from severe acne last year, my self confidence was extremely low, and I would turn down any opportunity to go out or see other people. I looked for solutions everywhere, drank lots of water, eat fruits & vegetables, but it was as if my skin was irritated and not clearing up anytime soon.

I then went on Accutane, ask your doctor about it, in severe cases they give it to people with skin problems because of it's side-effects. Your skin becomes very dry and often peels. Your lips are cracked all the time, so make sure you invest in a good lip treatment balm that you ALWAYS have handy. It's not good for your liver, so you can't consume alcohol on it. You will need to drink lots of water because your skin is going to need it for the healing process. I was on Accutane for 2 months and I didn't even take it right. If I finished my course of 3 months and drank it every single day like the doctor said, I'm sure my scars will also be gone, they're not THAT visible, but I guess you will always find a problem with your own skin. I don't suffer from break-outs anymore and can honestly say I haven't had a pimple in one year now.

It was the best choice I ever made, I was really scared of the side-effects but it's totally worth it if you suffer from acne. Do it today, your acne (depending on the severity) will be gone in 2 months.

#Post 20 of 45 OFFLINE   CK26

CK26

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 27-November 12
Reviews

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I wish it were that easy for everyone, I've tried EVERYTHING (literally), including dermatologists and Accutane.  I was on Accutane for 7 months (recommended is 3-6 at most), and my side effects were TERRIBLE, and my acne was back the month I stopped it.  I was one of many that get their hopes up on Accutane, people should know it's not necessarily a cure all like you make it sound.  So now I'm here looking for a full coverage foundation that won't provoke my acne and will cover up my scars.