Do you need to use setting powder after you apply mineral foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It may seem like a stupid question but i really don't know. :|

I use bare minerals matte. Is the hydrating veil meant to be a setting powder? And, more importantly, do you even need it?

I've wondered if it is necessary too. Ultimately I don't set mmu with powder because I've decided there's nothing to set like there is with liquid foundation. And I don't have a mineral veil but that's only because I'm not sure I need it. I'd love to hear if it makes a difference.

It depends on which mmu I'm using. I've got one where I have to set it w/powder for it to last longer and it's not the liquid mmu kind. But for the most part, no I don't use powder over my mmu.

For me, I need it. The only setting powder that works for my skin is silk dust. Rice powders and other mmu setting powders don't do anything for me though.

^silk dust? Never heard of it. What is it made of and where do you get it?

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif ^silk dust? Never heard of it. What is it made of and where do you get it? Maybe its silk powder. You can get it at TKB trading. The powder just sets the foundation without being 'powdery'. I love the stuff, its made of ground silk. My first silk powder was from Pureluxe but it was probably a re-pack and it was expensive for a small container. I use it to set and i also add it to my mineral foundation formula.

Silk dust is a finishing powder that has been discontinued from Everyday Minerals they still have something comparable but I don't know the name.

Originally Posted by Audrey2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Silk dust is a finishing powder that has been discontinued from Everyday Minerals. What was silk dust made of?

Yeah! Silk dust is a product Everyday Minerals had. I still call "silk powder" silk dust because that's the first name I heard it as. Silk Naturals has it and so does EG Minerals.

According to my google-fu Silk powder is made from the cocoon of silk worms. There are a lot of benefits. It's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory (so good for acne), absorbs excess oil, natural SPF, amino acids, and balances the skins pH level. More here.

I love it because it was the only thing that set my makeup. Everyday Minerals stopped selling it because I believe they wanted a more vegan image. I love it.

If you like silky powders, try the translucent powder from Lily Lolo, i lvoe that stuff.

Back to the topic :

When i first got into MMU i read setting powder wasn't necessary.

But i think it is if you want your foundation to last longer, and i think regardless of the type of foundation you're using, it's a must if you have oiliness issues.

I always set my mineral foundation, partially because otherwise it tends to melt on on my skin (pisses me off like crazy) and partially because i like the finished look it gives me.

of course I use. usually I use in Angel of Singnature.

that's great powder that setting my foundation and my foundation stick on my face all the day.

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Yeah! Silk dust is a product Everyday Minerals had. I still call "silk powder" silk dust because that's the first name I heard it as. Silk Naturals has it and so does EG Minerals.
According to my google-fu Silk powder is made from the cocoon of silk worms. There are a lot of benefits. It's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory (so good for acne), absorbs excess oil, natural SPF, amino acids, and balances the skins pH level. More here.

I love it because it was the only thing that set my makeup. Everyday Minerals stopped selling it because I believe they wanted a more vegan image. I love it.

so EDM Silk Dust is made of silk powder?I like silk powder, I use it in my formulations. I also use it straight up as a setting powder.

This is interesting. I've never thought of setting powder foundation with another powder. I just spritz it to look less powdery.

Thanks for the info, ladies

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif This is interesting. I've never thought of setting powder foundation with another powder. I just spritz it to look less powdery.
Thanks for the info, ladies

I apply my MMU with a damp brush (I spritz my brush before dipping it into the powder). It melts the mmu. Silk powder doesnt look like powder when you put it on. It just kinda mixes with my foundation.

I'll have to pass on the silk powder if it's made from the cocoon of worms. Ek!

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif I'll have to pass on the silk powder if it's made from the cocoon of worms. Ek! Do you wear silk? Worms don't have cocoons. Its actually the cocoons of Silk caterpillar/moths.If this is gross, Carmine is a common product in lipsticks - especially RED ones. Carmine is made of crushed shells of a particular female insect.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif so EDM Silk Dust is made of silk powder?I like silk powder, I use it in my formulations. I also use it straight up as a setting powder.

Yeah, EDM Silk Dust was silk powder. I believe you could either get it as just plain silk powder or tinted with micas. Like I said though, they decided to stop caring it back in late 2008. I know they had postings on their site about it at one point, but it looks like they've gotten rid of their blog and the forums on EDM.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif Do you wear silk? Worms don't have cocoons. Its actually the cocoons of Silk caterpillar/moths.If this is gross, Carmine is a common product in lipsticks - especially RED ones. Carmine is made of crushed shells of a particular female insect.

Cocoons from a worm, a caterpillar, etc... it's all the same to me. Thank goodness for vegan products.

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif Cocoons from a worm, a caterpillar, etc... it's all the same to me. Thank goodness for vegan products. Its all a matter of personal choice. I guess that's why they make vegan products now because enough people want it.

I also need it for me actually, but want any other option in which I get rid of these kind of stupid or un-necessary task.

Back