Insanely Expensive Prices in NZ & Australia!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who live in America, you have no idea how lucky you are. Here in NZ we have to pay almost triple your prices. I was looking at some Nars products the other day and a Nars blush is $87 NZD ($61 USD) while at Sephora in the US you can get it for $26 USD. A single Mac eyeshadow is $25 USD here. Even a Revlon Colorstay foundation is about $27 USD. We probably pay the same amount for drug-store products as you guys do for products from Sephora and Mac.

Anyways, my question is would you guys continue to shop for makeup as often as you do if you had to pay our prices? And would you pay $61 US for a Nars Blush (is it worth it, pretty much)? I hear a lot of people say they last a long time so they're worth the investment but those people are paying $26 US, not $61 USD, so do you think it's still worth the investment? That's an absolutely craaaazy price to pay for a blush but I want to try one out so badly "/ haha

Yes, the prices are insane. I prefer to get makeup when on sale. MAC eyeshadows are $30AU - they never go on sale.

lol I think the girls of MUT have been bored to tears with the constant whinging from us aussie members about the ridiculous prices we pay for make up... lol To be honest, if they were in our situation, I believe they probably would still pay it, after all, this is a forum of make up addicts
biggrin.gif

I think i would probably still purchase make up, HOWEVER i would probably end up spending less on make up (what?!) because i have heard that Australia has really strict return policies (even though i never return stuff here as it is).

With the higher cost of products in Australia i think i would do more back ground research and testing of products before i purchased, which would mean a lot less of spending money on products that i end up not really loving

I live in nz and I tend to buy everything online. Like on trademe, but bidding against people in the same boat can get expensive lol. I'm thinking of buying things from America because even with the shipping prices included, it's still cheaper!

I would probably still purchase. Even better, I would make friends with someone in the US and get constant CPs lol.

The prices here are rediculous. I spend alot of time looking into how much and what I am getting for my money. Figuring out how long I can make the makeup last and I try and find places where I can get it discounted, which is very rare. I look online for cosmetics but I'm iffy about buying online before I can actually try. It gets frustrating the way things are over here. Even something so simple as E.L.F cosmetics, (which would be a god sent for me right now, as im studying and very poor) isn't available here. The prices in Australia for everything are way over inflated.

You could always try to buy the products off of ebay for cheaper. But no, I would not spend $61 on a NARS blush... that's pretty ridiculous especially for JUST a blush, but if you REALLY want it, then hey, I guess it could be worth it.

But in the UK, coming up in January they will have to pay 20% in taxes so it could be worse haha.

wow!! I dont think I could spend 61$ on a single blush no matter how much I wanted it lol Have you tried MUA? I think the paying shipping costs are alot better then the 61$ for a blush!

That is crazy! I'm very thankful to be able to live in the States and buy makeup for much cheaper. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging, I used to live in Israel and everything was triple the price! Revlon foundation would cost about $40USD!!!!! INSANE!! some e/s brands that were not low end yet not high end cost $25 - each!

Knowing what I know today I would have probably ordered online.
smile.gif

If I made much more money, I would continue to buy my makeup, but no, I would not pay $61 for a blush. Knowing me, I'd probably move to a country where the makeup was more affordable. LOL

omg! i so agree! even inglot! it is so bad that we have to pay so much for some of those really popular cosmetics
frown.gif

i buy most of my stuff online after my first purchase from the actual brand, that way i find out what shade of foundation and concealer i am
smile.gif

Ahh Thank you for recommended MUA!
I just went online and got some palettes etc for SO MUCH CHEAPER than you can get them here, $25 worth of stuff that would have cost me $100 easily! Ahh fantastic. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Thank you from australia!

icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

icon_eek.gif

that is INSANE! i had no idea how expensive it is in AU and NZ. honestly, i love make up and i love buying HE stuff but i would NOT shell out $60+ for a a blush. i have such an intense love/hate relationship with sephora because i love buying things there, but i always doubt myself and almost faint at the register. i know i can "afford" it since i work and whatever, but i still get that "ugh i could just buy a lipstick at the drugstore" or "ugh i already have 6 blushes, do i really need it?".. you know? i know some folks here probably would still cash out that much, and maybe i would too at one point, but definitely NOT as often as i do at the moment (i usually treat myself to about 30-100 worth of new goodies per month).

I`m from Europe, Croatia, and prices are also insane here:((. They are, starting from March, even higher because our VAT went up from 23 to 25%!

For instance, Benefit Box O Powders are around 48 USD :/. Everything is so expensive, only Illamasqua has the same prices as in UK. I`m also buying stuff online, mostly from US and from UK sites like Cheapsmells, feelunique, HQ Hair and fragrancedirect. We don`t have MAC here but buying it in any EU country (except UK) is insane because it is much cheaper in US. I order MAC via Rock the Catwalk or via my friend whose aunt lives in US. Also one of my friends lives in Canada, but she doesn`t send packages, I have to wait for her to visit Croatia.

Inglot is also expensive, I heard that in Poland is cheaper. Poland, Romania and Bulgaria are cheaper countries than Croatia, I found that Romanian`s Sephora is about 5 or 6 USD cheaper than our.

As concerns e.l.f., we can order only from UK and not US site, where prices are better! That is so frustrating :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />(.

strawberry.net also doesn`t allow us to pay in USD, only in EUR, but in EUR prices are much higher!

OMG those prices are horrific! IDK I would think your best bet would be to make good friends with an American, send them the money and have them ship it to you. International shipping is expenseballs, but Im sure way cheaper in the end. Definitly makes me thankful I can just go to a store and buy things I want that wont cost an arm and a leg. 27 dollars for drugstore brands, gtfo!

It's not that its more expensive. what's your hourly wage? The inflation is higher in most other countries like Australia than over here in the US. That's what makes it more expensive seeming but really when added out the prices are the same.

What is the shipping situation from the US to AU? Is it super expensive, crazy customs or anything? If not, make a US friend, paypal them some $$$ and a shopping list and then have them ship it in a flat rate box.

WHAT!! i just went to order a 3 dollar elf product and the shipping was 12 dollars.....not worth it. I WISH I LIVED IN AMERICA! you guys dont know how lucky you have it! i have to put aside 20 dollars a month to buy new makeup.... (i do makeup for friends for a small fee) it is ridiculous!

Latest posts

Back