My inexpensive setting powder

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally found a powder that sets my foundation, will keep any shine at bay and won't mess up with my allergies.

The best part of it is it comes from my kitchen !
laughing.gif

After a few not so successful experiences, and fed up with the price of such a small quantity of product (i'm thinking especially of a certain brand i love, sadly), i decided to look for another solution and i found arrow root !

Arrow root is great, really. It sets your foundation (i've tried it on liquid and mineral foundations), it stays on during the whole day and i don't fear any shine coming through. I have a combination skin, but i'm sure oily skins would appreciate it too.

It's also very economical as you only need a tiny bit. Before i was using a translucent setting powder and i was using way too much compared to what i use now, with the same effect. The only thing you have to be careful is it can easily make you look powdery if you apply too much.

Originally Posted by flipshawtii /img/forum/go_quote.gif How did you find arrow root for a setting powder? Also, where can you find it? By luck
smile.gif
I have this website that sells all kinds of supplies for homemade cosmetics, and each comes with a very informative description. So that's how i found it.
I would look first in a supermarket, see if they don't sell it. If not, i bought some in a health food store, so you could look there too.

It's actually very similar to cornstarch Reese, it can be used instead of cornstarch in cooking, so at least if you don't like it you'll find some use for it. I could have used cornstarch, but i already eat a good amount of corn, i wanted to try something else.

Originally i had it mixed with bamboo sap, until i realised bamboo is a grass, and i'm allergic to them
doh.gif

So, you just buy the powder in a baggie at a natural food store?

How much did it cost you?

Originally Posted by Minka /img/forum/go_quote.gif So, you just buy the powder in a baggie at a natural food store?
How much did it cost you?

Yup ! Then i store it in a mineral foundation pot, with sifter.
It cost me 1€90 for 50g of organic arrow root, so really inexpensive !
smile.gif

$2.95 for 1/2lb bag! I put it in a big spice shaker and use it like powder. It works great, no grit, super fine and no smell. For the price, definitely worth the try. I used silk powder before but it's about $9per oz.

wow..what a great tip! I never heard of arrow root..I will have to look more into it..thanks for the heads up!

Latest posts

Back