Best Brow filling: Powder or Pencil??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Girls which is the best way to fill your brows, with pencil or powder? As you can see in my avatar my brows are almost invisible and that's because Itheir shad is very light, right now I use a cheap drugstore pencil to fill them, it's good but not enough, in my avatar I wear this pencil and my brows still looking invisible!! Is there any other good pencil, better to fill them or I have to use a powder to fill them? Which one has better results??

Originally Posted by Trisha Powder is the best IMO! you can really build it up to your desired level of colour plus it looks more natural!
you should check out Stila Browset next time you are at the counter!

Ive used brow products from

• MAC
  • BeneFit
  • The Body Shop
  • Stila
and its my fave! Mmmm sounds interesting!! And what's the best brush to apply it??

I'll check them out! Thanks Trisha!!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by Trisha there are 4 variations FAIR, WARM, MEDIUM & DARK
and each set has 2 colours, one for filling in and one for defining! believe it or not i actually mainly use the lighter of the 2 colours in the Dark browset!

Fair is for blondes and light brown hair

Warm is for anyone with reddy tones in their hair

Medium is kinda the general one which lotsa people can wear

Dark is for dark brown/black hair

the site isnt entirely accurate as Dark is darker than Med but its better than MAC's swatches!

Stila Browset!

Thanks, the medium looks like it would suit me best. I'll be checking this out. Thanks for the link.

I've always heard that powder looks more natural but pencils last longer if you have oily skin and/or live in a humid climate.... On TLC's "What Not To Wear" one night, the MUA told the girl to switch from powder to pencil because she lived somewhere like Louisiana ... she also showed how you can use very light, quick strokes with a pencil to get a more natural look than just coloring in your brows.

But I haven't used either of them so I'm no expert
biggrin.gif
(Though I could probably stand a little brow filler on the outer half of my brow .. the inner half is thick enough! lol)

I actually use both since I have to "add" on the ends of what little eyebrows I have LOL! I apply the Shu ebrow pencil in Sable Brown - and use short / light strokes and then use a powder over the entire brow area. I have oily skin and find that this way, the ends of my ebrows don't disappear - or I would look like I was trying to do the half a brow thing. I tried and like the Stila Browset. I will more than likely get it once I am done w/the Chanel brow powder that I have.

Personally I like powder too... I use a sample of Smashbox Brow Tech in Brunette and also NYC Browser (which is practically the EXACT same thing for a LOT cheaper). I use a slanted Smashbox brush for the application and it is perfect! Pencils are a lot trickier to deal with and usually make too defined of a line for me...

I want to try a colored wax that LORAC has out, it seems interesting...

i use a pencil and powder. i apply the powder with the 266 angle brush and my brows look natural and not like wax on my face. then i set them with mac clear brow set.

Originally Posted by girl_geek On TLC's "What Not To Wear" one night Out of curiosity Jennifer, is that hosted by 2 english ladies Trinny & Susannah? They've a show in the UK with the same name and its being running for a good few years now. Just wondering if they've launched in the US or something!

Originally Posted by Laura Out of curiosity Jennifer, is that hosted by 2 english ladies Trinny & Susannah? They've a show in the UK with the same name and its being running for a good few years now. Just wondering if they've launched in the US or something! They HAVE lauched a What Not To Wear, but unfortunately here in the US it doesn't have Trinny ad Susannah on it... We have two hosts named Stacy and Clinton. They are good, but not NEARLY as good as T and S...
icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted by phoenix461 I actually use both since I have to "add" on the ends of what little eyebrows I have LOL! I apply the Shu ebrow pencil in Sable Brown - and use short / light strokes and then use a powder over the entire brow area. I have oily skin and find that this way, the ends of my ebrows don't disappear - or I would look like I was trying to do the half a brow thing. I tried and like the Stila Browset. I will more than likely get it once I am done w/the Chanel brow powder that I have. My eyebrows are pretty nonexistant and I like to use the method you described, Rosie. I pencil mine in with a cheap cover girl eyebrow pencil and then finish filling in with my MAC shadow. When i'm lazy, I just use the powder by itself because it looks better than pencil alone, IMO.

We don't have this sets here,so I can't tell,which is better,but my all time favourite brow pencil is dior one-very powdery,nice colors,looks very natural,not greasy at all.Love it!

I use Dior eyebrow pencil. It have really good consitence, not too hard not too soft. Together with this small brush at the end of pencil u can create very natural look of eyebrows. It's also very long lasting. Unfortunatelly by me powders go to fast away.

I think if you've not got many hairs to begin with then pencil is best, provided it's very sharp and you draw in individual hairs rather than a harsh line. if you've got eyebrows that you want to fill in and define powder is best as it gives a more natural luck.

I'm going to second the Stila browset. I always look more groomed when I use it.

I use MAC Carbon e/s to fill my brows using MAc brush #266. Pencils won't work for me as it'll tug or make my brows clumps together..

I prefer to use e/s to fill in my brows makes it more natural than the harshness a pencil can make them appear

Originally Posted by Laura Out of curiosity Jennifer, is that hosted by 2 english ladies Trinny & Susannah? They've a show in the UK with the same name and its being running for a good few years now. Just wondering if they've launched in the US or something! i watch the UK one too Laura - I love it!! Love the final product!

Originally Posted by Trisha there are 4 variations FAIR, WARM, MEDIUM & DARK
and each set has 2 colours, one for filling in and one for defining! believe it or not i actually mainly use the lighter of the 2 colours in the Dark browset!

Fair is for blondes and light brown hair

Warm is for anyone with reddy tones in their hair

Medium is kinda the general one which lotsa people can wear

Dark is for dark brown/black hair

the site isnt entirely accurate as Dark is darker than Med but its better than MAC's swatches!

Stila Browset!

I can't test the colors anwhere and can;t decide between medium and dark. I have dark brown hair and eyebrows and from DIOR i use 593 brown. Any ideas which one would be better?

Latest posts

Back