People Who Say "You Don't Need Makeup"

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today at work me and 2 other female coworkers were talking about makeup stuff. This guy and other chick join in the convo and were all like "You guys shouldn't spend that much on makeup...blah blah blah.."

The girl said "You are pretty Erika, you don't need to wear all that makeup."

It pissed me off becuase I feel like I wear makeup to enhance myself and make my image more presentable. Not only is it professional to look your best, but it's an absolute must in my book. It's how I was raised. The chick doesn't wear an ounce of makeup and she looks a hot pink mess! I know that I don't NEED makeup, but what's wrong with wanting to experiment and transform?

To top it all off, as I was walking into the office, my frenemy blurted out, "Dang girl why you wearing all that makeup?"

LOL! I only had on tinted moisturizer, lashes, winged liner, and a nude lip!

And if I wanted to wear a freaking Kim Kardashian smokey eye to work, then who's business is that? If I want to spend my hard earned money on makeup and can afford it...who's business is that?

Comment!

I think the best look is to be able to wear makeup and have people think that you look that way when you wake in the morning. Makeup is meant ENHANCE your assets and erase your flaws. If people are complimenting your makeup, then you probably have too much on. People should be complimenting your face and your complexion and your eyes, not your eyeshadow, and your blush and your foundation.

I thought that was a compliment that they said you were pretty and you didn't need makeup. Not many people can pull off looking pretty without makeup. When I was in my 20's, I wore makeup to look older (my age). Without makeup, I looked like I was 12. I was getting ID'ed til I was 32.

Take things as they are... a compliment is a compliment. Don't burden yourself to think that everything meant to be something more. These are coworkers, I don't think they were looking for an indepth debate about your views on makeup.

Eh, don't worry about it. It's fun and you can be creative. Makeup is a means of enhancement. Those people can go on and on about it being unnecessary but everyone knows that a polished look is attractive and draws more attention than looking plain.

Don't be insulted.they mean your really pretty =).

I personally do believe "less is more." I personally prefer simple, clean looks. Sometimes I think even, Michelle Phan(youtube guru), wears a bit too much makeup.

People have said this to me before too and in similar scenarios, and I have a great story for this.

I work with this girl who rarely ever wears makeup, and she always talks about the other girls that do wear makeup. She would constantly talk about how she didn't NEED makeup and when she brought that up to me, I would say, "Well, no-one NEEDS makeup, just like no-one NEEDS a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano but it's a helluva nice luxury isn't it?" and she said, "Well, I guess".

Fastforward a few months where we're all seated in a pub as a leaving party for a fellow co-worker and the same girl mentioned earlier in a buzzed slander brings up makeup yet again saying, "I don't know why some people wear makeup to work (note that all of the five of us seated around here are wearing at least SOME makeup), it's not like there's anyone to impress... I wear makeup outside of work, and I bet none of you could even believe how great I look in my own makeup... I mean i'm not always comfortable doing my own makeup, but you'd all drop your jaw if you saw me with makeup on. I'll wear makeup on Monday just to prove I can wear makeup."

Of course we're all looking at each other like, "WTF... allllllright".

Fast-forward to Monday and she comes in with her makeup on and looks a hot mess with literally so much fall-out underneath her eyes from her eyeshadow that from a distance I thought she had taken a sponge applicator and had wiped it in a circular fashion around her entire eyeball. Her powder was also way too orange and not applied evenly, so she had orange blotches all over her face.

She proceeded to tell us that she felt really "weird" and a little "insecure, man" wearing makeup to work. Our coworkers kept walking by and giving her strange looks. After looking at her face, I realized her eyes were really teary. Was she about to cry up a storm or did she gets some of that shimmery eyeshadow fallout from hell in her eyeballs? I guess I'll never know.

I was like, "Ok, why are wearing makeup if you feel uncomfortable wearing it? If you don't feel comfortable, just don't even bother" and her response was, "Well I said I would didn't I?" I told her, "Not to be rude, but none of us gave a shit to begin with. We don't care what you wear. You don't have to try so hard."

TLDR: I believe that some girls are this way because they feel too inadequate to wear makeup properly, and they're typically the kinds of girls that feel they're drawing too much attention to themselves by trying to dress themselves up. When they see other women wearing makeup, it just reminds them that they're lacking so they try to talk down the competition.

People speak out about what bothers them and affects their personal life. Your friend is jealous and is letting it affect her life.

LOL... I hear you! I hate it when people ask me who I'm wearing the makeup for... if I want to wear it, I'll wear it. I'm no MUA and I've made makeup mistakes, but I'm learning all the time.

Makeup is my "artistic" release. Some people like to draw, make quilts, or paint, I like to put colour on my face!

I hate when people say that. First of all, I am NOT a makeup artist, nor can I apply it really well, but I enjoy putting it on! I actually do think it's fun! I have a great makeup collection now, and I enjoy using it.

Some people like the natural look, and some people like heavy makeup (ie. The Kardashians) I am the latter :)

It's no ones business. You aren't hurting anyone, so whatever!

Originally Posted by prettyglam /img/forum/go_quote.gif To top it all off, as I was walking into the office, my frenemy blurted out, "Dang girl why you wearing all that makeup?"LOL! I only had on tinted moisturizer, lashes, winged liner, and a nude lip!

Ehh, to some people who aren't really 'into' makeup, that's alot. It sounds pretty fab though. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I get kinda mad too. I don't get second glances at flippin' all if I leave the house without concealer and then friends try to say I don't need it. Poo.

Originally Posted by Minka /img/forum/go_quote.gif ... I would say, "Well, no-one NEEDS makeup, just like no-one NEEDS a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano but it's a helluva nice luxury isn't it?" ... I am so gonna remember that for nosy, judgmental people who make comments about how much I spend on makeup and handbags lol.

LOL well said Minka!
laughing.gif

ohhh i get it all the time but not from the gals who dont even put moisturiser but its from the damn guys....hahahaha...sometimes i can be nice in my reply sometimes im damn rude.. I dun think this makeup issues will ever stop....just ignore them, they dun know how to appreciate such good stuff...

People say that to me, too.

I think that it's a compliment, but i hate when people look down on me for wearing it/ "spending so much money on make up".

It's not that i necessarily need it, but if it makes me feel prettier and more confident, then that's great for me. I always think that people who look down on others like that are just jealous. So i agree with Minka.

If it's a compliment it seems pretty backhanded to me! I wear makeup every day but it's usually pretty natural... but I don't try to look like I'm not wearing it! I LIKE makeup, and I'm proud of my skills (such as they are!) in applying it... why downplay it?

Wear what makes YOU comfortable and forget what anyone else says! I mean lots of my close friends don't wear any more makeup than mascara and maybe a bit of eyeliner. I don't go around telling them to wear makeup if they don't want to, so why should anyone get to tell you not to?

I don't really bother, either they're jealous or insecure, or ignorant. In all cases, i remember them i am free to spend my money the way i want it, and i wear makeup for myself, and yes, i do actually use all my stash
laughing.gif

I get annoyed when people tell me that...because they've never seen me without makeup. They think I don't need it? They haven't seen my terrible skin, my small eyes, sparse eyebrows (that don't even match my hair...) because all that is fixed and improved with makeup. I would never feel confident like that. But they think that 'makeup' is all just decoration, and that's totally wrong...If it was just decoration I really wouldn't bother most of the time. I am not a natural beauty so I create my own.

aahhhh those people, they are either complimenting you (if they actually say you are pretty without it) or they are just jealous that you can put on makeup so nicely and they can't even apply foundation evenly. Thank God I don't have this problem I work as a MUA for Lancome, more makeup the better for my job.

I really get annoyed with those kind of statements as well. I was watching a tutorial on youtube one day and one of the highest rated comments from a guy said something like "guys don't ike girls who wear all of that makeup. We like the natural no makeup look." When I read that I was like "IS. HE. SERIOUS!?!" I know there are some girls out there who wear makeup for guys but for the most part I believe women and girls wear makeuip for themselves. When did doing something personal for yourself start effecting everyone besides the person who really mattered..yourself?

people who make comments are really just jealous because they still only put eyeliner on the bottom lid, or they make fishhooks with liner on the side with it all smeared up half way and ones longer than the other. People who make comments also walk around all day with lip stick smeared on their two top teeth. Down with the makeup haters! don't be jealous!

I think its better than someone saying 'oh, you could have used a little bit of makeup today. You look sick.' People at work are just people at work. Are their opinions THAT important that it causes you to react? That statement is as good as the question 'how are you today?' Do you really care how they really are today? mostlikely not.

Latest posts

Back