Licorice Root in Skincare??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was trying to decipher what the ingredients to my Shiseido Bio Performance Advanced Super Revitalizer awhile back and I noticed licorice root as an ingredient. It didn't actually say licorice root but I googled the latin and it way. I was intriged so I looked into it further because I needed to know whether it was a necessary ingredient in my dupe or if I can skip it. This is abit about Licorice Root. Needless to say, I bought an ounce of licorice root powder on eBay and now its in my cream!

Licorice Root in Skin Care

So why is a skin care company like Alchemilla so interested in this fascinating herb?

Why, indeed! Recent studies have confirmed that this wonder herb also provides remarkable effects on the skin as a natural skin lightener and antioxidant.

During the early 1990s, Japanese scientists first isolated the substances in Licorice Root that were shown to be highly beneficial for the skin: Glabridin, Glabrene, Licochalcone, and Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate.

Glabridin

Glabridin is a potent skin whitening agent. It helps re-balance dermal cells and decreases melanin formation (the pigment responsible for skin discoloration).

Glabrene

Glabrene is an anti-oxidant at least as powerful as natural vitamin E.

Licochalcone

Licochalcone is an effective anti-acne ingredient that regulates oil production and eliminates bacteria. In addition, licochalcone helps soothe acne-prone skin, making it highly recommendable for sensitive and allergy-prone skin types.

Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate

Stearyl glycyrrhetinate has potent soothing anti-inflammatory properties. This contributes towards Licorice Root’s suitability as an ingredient for the most sensitive skin.

Time and again, Licorice Root has proven its huge contribution to both traditional and modern medicinal uses, and with more and more research supporting its value as an effective topical ingredient, Licorice Root is one ingredient to look for in any natural anti-aging skin care product.

Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate is the ingredient listed in the Shiseido cream which I must say is a wickedly beautiful cream in every way except for the $$$$. I used it for 15 years - religiously. I am on a DIY kick so I've created my own which I like almost as much and costs 1/10 the price.

Latest posts

Back