Springtime! A time of blooming flowers, a more upbeat disposition, a week-long break from school, and, last but not least, gorgeous, glowing skin! With winter trailing off and finally waving goodbye, spring brings moisture and health back to your skin. Here are five easy steps to help you put your best face forward for the new season!
Step 1: Exfoliate
- Use an exfoliating scrub about 3 times per week and remember to let the scrub do the work for you. It doesn’t take a lot of manpower, and you don’t want to risk damaging your skin by rubbing too aggressively!
- Scrubs help remove dull skin cells, which brightens in the process
- My current fave: St. Ives Naturally Clear Green Tea Scrub ($7) – This amazing product helps reduce redness and the oil-free formula contains 1% salicylic acid, which aids in the fight against blemishes. It also smells fantastic!
Step 2: Moisturize + Add Natural Color
- Exfoliated skin will soak in moisture better than dull skin that has not been scrubbed
- Choose a moisturizer or skin cream that fits your skin type
- Gels are perfect for those with oil-prone skin – I like Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel ($24.50) because it provides just the right amount of moisture without making my face greasy looking. Also, the 4.2 oz bottle lasts forever.
- Creams or regular lotions are best for those with dry skin types
- It is best to search for a moisturizer or face lotion that contains an SPF of 15 or higher. The added benefits will do wonders for your skin as you age. Neutrogena has perfected their own SPF lotion with their Oil-Free Moisture SPF 15 ($10)
- If you prefer to use a tinted moisturizer, choose one that works with your skin tone and type. A tinted moisturizer works in two ways – to quench dry skin and to add a hint of natural-looking color. For a good price, CoverGirl Smoothers SPF 15 Tinted Moisture ($7) delivers an equal balance of moisture, color, and (added bonus!) SPF protection.
- If you choose to stick to foundation, opt for one that is not too heavy on your skin. Springtime is a time to let your skin breathe and refresh itself. There are so many foundations to choose from, drugstore and higher-end. Just stick to one that works well for you! A good foundation does not necessarily have to cost a lot, but it should provide the right amount of coverage for your skin and lifestyle, and look natural. The goal of makeup is to enhance your natural beauty, not to hide it.
Step 3: Bronze
- The best way to achieve a gorgeous glow using a makeup product is through bronzer!
- Most bronzers contain a decent amount of shimmer, some may even have glitter
- I prefer using a matte bronzer – one that contains no shimmer or shine because in direct sunlight (especially), a shimmery bronzer can look extremely unnatural. No one naturally has shimmer in their skin (unless of course he or she happens to be a vampire). My favorite matte bronzer is Benefit Hoola Bronzing Powder ($28). It is an insanely gorgeous color that is perfectly buildable, meaning you can build up the color to suit your skin tone.
- Choose a shimmery bronzer for night outings and a more matte one for daytime activities
- A good rule of thumb is to not go overboard. Use a large fluffy brush to apply on upper cheekbones, upward to your temples, and downward to your jaw line. A fluffy brush will ensure that all the color is blended well and as natural-looking as possible.
Step 4: Add Creamy Pink
- Adding a touch of creamy color on your cheeks is the best way to energize your whole look!
- Peachy-pink is practically universally flattering on all skin tones
- My latest obsession comes from the Forever21 beauty line (Love & Beauty) and it’s simply called Lips + Cheeks ($4) and is in the color light pink. This stuff is amazingly creamy, slides on beautifully, and adds the right amount of pink color where I need it. I dab this on the apples of my cheeks and I am good to go! It comes in a little disc that is perfect for toting around in my bag and super easy to apply when I need a touch-up. I adore this product.
- Choosing a cream instead of a powder will help maintain a more glowy look – however, powder blushes can also be super effective in this if you aren’t too sure of cream blushes. Apply a bright pink or bright peach color to the apples of your cheeks and you’ll get glowing in no time.
Step 5: Soften + Gloss Lips
- Prepare your lips for moisture by scrubbing. A combination of olive oil and sugar will do the trick at removing dead skin cells.
- Apply a balm. Anything will do! Chapstick, Neutrogena, whatever you choose!
- Swipe on an easy gloss. This can be clear, light pink, coral, hot pink – whatever you feel suits your skin tone! Gloss adds a nice shiny dimension to your makeup look.
Now you have a gorgeously natural look that is perfect for springtime! Throw on a breezy floral print dress, a pair of neutral cork wedges, and some playful accessories and GET GLOWING!
For more tips and other fun beauty and fashion-related things, check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/stellarlooks/