or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › General Beauty & Fashion › Nail Talk › Nail polish for men?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nail polish for men?

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
I was bopping around the internet and came across these nail polishes for men. No offense to anyone intended, but do you know any men other than those who cross dress, who wear nail polishes like these? Scrangie: BB Couture Regular Guys, Tools for Men and Mechanics 101 My husband would think I was crazy if I suggested he wear nail polish. Well, I am crazy, but that's beside the point. LOL There are a several in those collections that I would love to have!
post #2 of 49

Re: Nail polish for men?

There are a few non-crossdressing "goth" types that wear polish around town.. Usually black.. But Orley's Nails for Males is a clear matte finish that makes my nails look great when in out in Drab (drest as boy). Vs Drag (dressed as girl)..
post #3 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: Nail polish for men?

Black would be about the only thing I could imagine a man wearing, and that for the goth reason. I can't sell myself on the matte finishes though. Matte is darn near a 4-letter word for me. Ask the people who swore up and down my ex and I put vinyl siding on our house because I insisted on painting it semi-gloss red! Or my ex, who had fits because I painted the kitchen walls gloss peach. LOL...he wouldn't let me choose paint without him after that! Back to the nail polish though...just because I can't imagine men wearing other than black doesn't mean they shouldn't, it's just a new idea for me, and the more I think about it the more I think it would be neat for men to wear the colors. :-)
post #4 of 49

Re: Nail polish for men?

Lol. I love matte!! And use China Glaze matte magic over top of colors all the time.. The nice thing about Orley nails for Males is you can't tell you are weaing it.. You can feel it.. And it just makes your nails look neater.. And helps with clacking and splitting.. I do it for "health reasons". .

How about some manley colors? British Racing Green... Farrari Red... John Deere yellow? Lol. Be the only farmer whose nails match their tractor! Hahaha.
post #5 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: Nail polish for men?

Originally Posted by Karren View Post
Lol. I love matte!! And use China Glaze matte magic over top of colors all the time.. The nice thing about Orley nails for Males is you can't tell you are weaing it.. You can feel it.. And it just makes your nails look neater.. And helps with clacking and splitting.. I do it for "health reasons". .

How about some manley colors? British Racing Green... Farrari Red... John Deere yellow? Lol. Be the only farmer whose nails match their tractor! Hahaha.
LOL @ health reasons! But seriously, cracking and splitting can lead to sore or infected fingers and that's no fun...so I'll go along with "health reasons".

Oh oh oh! Both John Deere yellow and GREEN! You could do a John Deere french manicure! I love John Deere green and yellow...I grew up on a farm and all our tractors were JD.

Farrari Red would be a really neat name for a nail polish. You should make a Franken and name it that. ;-)
post #6 of 49

Re: Nail polish for men?

I actually had the sales lady at Ulta tell me that men buying those nail products was very serious health related and nothing to be ashamed of... Obviously she didn't notice I had a couple eye shadows and mascara and some concealers in my hands! Lol. Like I get embarased anyway...

I was in FFA in high school.... And we had an old Massey-Harris (before Massey and Fergesoun got together) tractor that my brother and I rebuilt and we painted it International Harvester red with John Derre yellew wheels.. I loved that tractor...

Personally I don't really like guys wearing nail polish or makeup or feminine clothing... But then again I'm not trying to look like a guy! .
post #7 of 49
Thread Starter 

Re: Nail polish for men?

Originally Posted by Karren View Post
I was in FFA in high school.... And we had an old Massey-Harris (before Massey and Fergesoun got together) tractor that my brother and I rebuilt and we painted it International Harvester red with John Derre yellew wheels.. I loved that tractor...
Around here that tractor would end up at the antique tractor pulls!
post #8 of 49

I'm an otherwise average straight guy with no history of cross dressing (i guess thats not entirely true-i was tinkerbell for halloween a couple years ago) and I wear nail polish. I actually have the best luck with light blues. Black doesnt seem to work on me for some reason. My wife sometimes participates in color selection. She rather me do this than have a beard. 

post #9 of 49

I'd try to grow a beard if my wife would let paint my nails at home!!  lol

post #10 of 49

I haven't seen any guy who wear these colors aside from black.  I don't think real men would wear unless they are going to a costume party or something.

post #11 of 49

I think it is more common for non-Goth men to wear polish on their toes. I once read a thread by men who wear sandals, and they agreed that automotive colors are best for toes. That is sort of the theme used in the Scrangie polish. I like the idea of John Deer colors for a farmer; green with yellow French tips. Maybe car companies should start giving out matching nail polish with car sales.

 

Another place nail polish would be acceptable to most men is team colors at a sport event.

post #12 of 49

I think that the Wire Stripper, Pipe Bender, and other occupationally named colors seemed to be both the nicest colors and the most likely for a man to wear. I know a few men who like to wear gunmetal on their pinkies.

post #13 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by NailzPolished View Post

I'm an otherwise average straight guy with no history of cross dressing (i guess thats not entirely true-i was tinkerbell for halloween a couple years ago) and I wear nail polish. I actually have the best luck with light blues. Black doesnt seem to work on me for some reason. My wife sometimes participates in color selection. She rather me do this than have a beard. 



Your wife sounds amazing! Most of the women I know are really close-minded about stuff like this. It's ok for a woman to wear heavy jeans or a shirt, but men can't wear nail polish. Seems like double standards to me!

post #14 of 49

I think what is significant about these nail polishes marketed at men is that BB Couture is openly endorsing that men should wear nail polish.  Sure it's just marketing, but it does get our attention and even women who want the edgy masculine look will try these.

Should men wear nail polish?  Well, there are many women and men who don't care for nail polish on women either, so it really is not a unique issue, rather what a person likes and wants to wear.

I have been wearing it on my toes for close to four years now.  My wife coaxed me into trying it, she liked it, I learned to like it and now it's something that I enjoy.  I can't get too concerned if others do or don't like it because I really can't control what others beleive nor does it make much difference to me because I like it.

It's funny that you mention automotive colors...that was actually the inspiration for some of the BBC men's choices!

post #15 of 49
I'm a straight guy that doesn't crossdress or wear any make up, but I love nail polish. It livens up my feet from being so plain. I currently have a light blue on my toes and a light pink on my fingers. It makes me happy so I try not to worry what other will think about me.
post #16 of 49

I don't know about the men issue, but I love all those colors and would consider them for myself. Those greens are TDF!

post #17 of 49

Men wearing polish is new for me. When I first saw a post on it, I was like "WHAAT?" but since reading all this stuff, I think it's pretty cool. 
Who said nail polish was for women anyways? 
I wish my boyfriend would try it ;)
(although, to be honest, he does paint them every once in a while :D, only problem is sometimes he does it better then I can '_'  )

post #18 of 49

Hi

I have been wearing a color called Pink Frost for the last week and no one notices or don't care.

post #19 of 49

Mark Hoppus wears pink nail polish....but only on one hand and he makes it look cool!

post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno Michelle View Post

I think it is more common for non-Goth men to wear polish on their toes. I once read a thread by men who wear sandals, and they agreed that automotive colors are best for toes. That is sort of the theme used in the Scrangie polish. I like the idea of John Deer colors for a farmer; green with yellow French tips. Maybe car companies should start giving out matching nail polish with car sales.

 

Another place nail polish would be acceptable to most men is team colors at a sport event.


Mercedes dealers can get (if they don't carry) nail polishes straight from Mercedes that match their standard car colors...

 

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha! View Post

Black would be about the only thing I could imagine a man wearing, and that for the goth reason. I can't sell myself on the matte finishes though. Matte is darn near a 4-letter word for me. Ask the people who swore up and down my ex and I put vinyl siding on our house because I insisted on painting it semi-gloss red! Or my ex, who had fits because I painted the kitchen walls gloss peach. LOL...he wouldn't let me choose paint without him after that! Back to the nail polish though...just because I can't imagine men wearing other than black doesn't mean they shouldn't, it's just a new idea for me, and the more I think about it the more I think it would be neat for men to wear the colors. :-)


It's amazing what happens when people actually take a minute and think for themselves! THANK YOU! To me, nail color is an awful lot like tattoo ink, especially with respect to function (decorating the body). There's no reason at all for tattoos to be (until about 1985) "for men only", and there's no reason for nail color to be "for women only". The only reason people "think" it's feminine is because they really AREN'T thinking. Nail polish is really just paint.

 

I'll admit, some colors are feminine - regardless of the medium carrying it. Pink is feminine even if painted on a Hummer H-1 or molded into a Glock 9. Many pastels are rather feminine. But there's nothing wrong with "feminine" - most normal people have some of "masculine" and some of "feminine" in their personality, and every person needs to find a balance of these which makes them happy. And if that includes nail color - in any color - on a man, I say that deserves only admiration!

post #22 of 49

I do use nail polish regulary, and I am a straight man and an engineer. My masculinity is spiced up with some feminin aspects. Some people agree and tell me so. Some people dislike it, a few of them tell me so. And a lot of them tell others instead of me. I wear mostly black, but also green and other dark colors. And I often put shades of light mint or pink on top of the black color. I feel attracted by the gothic style and I also use clothes that matches that kind of style.

 

To me nail polish is only a color, and as some people say, the next thing after the ear ring. I find it weird that a woman could use pants or get tattooed or anything else that a man usually did, and not the other way around. Why not use the imagination and find your own style, not controlled by the masculin or the feminin style? Find some clothes, makeup, shoes, whatever and try it on. If it fits and feels well, then use it!

post #23 of 49

I think my husband would look hot with dark olive drab matte nail polish but he'd never go for it rolleyes.gif I do think the double standard for girls wearing guy stuff and guys not being able to wear girl stuff sucks.

post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakabell View Post

I think my husband would look hot with dark olive drab matte nail polish but he'd never go for it rolleyes.gif I do think the double standard for girls wearing guy stuff and guys not being able to wear girl stuff sucks.


Take a look at the SUEDE version of OPI's "Here Today, Aragon Tomorrow". The www scrangie com blog, in Sept 2010 has a post about HTAT suede, shown without and with gloss topcoat, and regular HTAT for comparison. It's more of an evergreen than an olive, but it would look really awesome if he wore the suede and you wore it with gloss TC. Essie has a perfect olive drab too, but I forget what it's called..

 

Tell your hubby: 1) it's a "manly" color, 2) it's just paint - just like tattoo ink but without the needle and you're not stuck with it forever, 3) it'll make you happy if he tries it wink.gif , 4) "Manhood" has NEVER been about being afraid of what "the guys" might say - but guys UNIVERSALLY respect other guys who find ways to ..umm.. "excite" their women (see #3).

 

 

post #25 of 49

similar idea occures to me as well. i do want to play a trick on my husband. i polish his nails and faces with makeups during his sleeping. and lure him to go outside before he recongnize it. it is surely very interesting.

post #26 of 49

I am so glad to read that some females are applauding men that dear to use clothes and assesories that usually was not made for men. It is also fantastic to hear that both men and women tells me that they admire me for wearing clothes and nail polish and other assesories the way I do. I am not that confident about it to be honest as many believe. I actually fear what people might think about it. But I have learned to "wear the fear like a crown", and by that dear to do what I do.  

 

I love to watch movies created for Johnny Depp, there are a lot of effects around his person that is not main stream when it comes to clothing. Edvard Scissorhands, Jack Sparrow, Chocolate, Sweeney Todd: The demon barber of Fleet Street, Charlie and the chocolate factory, Alice in wonderland. Why can't we all, men and women, just find our own way? Look in the mirror, look around without putting on the man and woman filter and think: What would I like to try out? Hmm, the combination of using those shoes and that hat and so on and so on would be amazing to try on. Try it, take a look in the mirror and analyze yourself. Yes, it suits me. Or, no, that was not ment for me. Then go out in the world and show it to everybody. And then: Get nailed by the crowd! Because most people will find it weird, and most of them will tell everyone else than you! What a wonderful world we live in icon_smile.gif  

post #27 of 49

By the way: I added a photo of myself as my avatar, wearing nail polish as I do everyday. Click on it to see a bigger version. Do you think it gives me a feminin look?

post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakabell View Post

I think my husband would look hot with dark olive drab matte nail polish but he'd never go for it rolleyes.gif I do think the double standard for girls wearing guy stuff and guys not being able to wear girl stuff sucks.


thats true

post #29 of 49

i love to wear nail polish either when i am wearing male clothes or wearing female clothes i tend to spend more time wearing female clothes but i do not try to pass as a woman but sometimes i get mistaken for one i never pretend to have breasts but do love wearing female clothes especialy skirts and dresses.

 

anyone should be able to wear makeup if they want to wether male or female.

 

regards Paulie

post #30 of 49

i love to wear nail polish either when i am wearing male clothes or wearing female clothes i tend to spend more time wearing female clothes but i do not try to pass as a woman but sometimes i get mistaken for one i never pretend to have breasts but do love wearing female clothes especialy skirts and dresses.

 

anyone should be able to wear makeup if they want to wether male or female.

 

regards Paulie

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Nail Talk
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › General Beauty & Fashion › Nail Talk › Nail polish for men?