Hi folks. It seems both the TKB and Coastal Scents formulator forums have gone the way of the dodo. Does anyone know of any other forums where people gather to discuss the formulation of MMU? I'm having issues with some lipsticks I'm trying to make and some help from more experienced folks would be great.
Related Forum Threads
- Custom Lipstick Color Inspired By Katy Perry Last post on 3/11/13 at 3:31pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Valentines Day Makeup Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:37am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- What are your favorite mineral lip products? Last post on 6/25/12 at 7:24am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Who has used Color Connection's mineral makeup and what do you think of it? Last post on 2/10/12 at 4:42pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Make Your Own Starter Kit Last post on 4/4/12 at 5:31pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
Lipstick vs. Lip Gloss
Edited on 4/19/13
- Mineral Makeup TipsEdited on 1/5/11
- 3 Ways to Get a New Spring Look for Under $6Edited on 4/21/13
- Trend Alert: Two-Toned LipsEdited on 4/19/13
- 8 Bad Beauty Habits & How To Kick ThemEdited on 3/30/13
I use this with my clarisonic and alone . It is mild and good for my sensitive skin
I just didn't care for anything they sent me which is odd for me . I love makeup ... I like almost everything I my birchbox and ipsy. I just got this once also thought it cost to much.
I love this box. There have been months where I was shocked at getting 4 small items that I might be able to get for free as samples. They need to make some of there items bigger so you know if...
This box is so fun to get . I love it so much I am getting 2 each month. The makeup bags the items come in are with the 10 dollars you pay so pretty. There is always something in there that is...
I have been a glossybox member for a few months and have loved getting there beautifully packaged boxes. They work very hard to make a nice presentation and it shows. They have amazing customer...
Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?post #1 of 101/10/12 at 8:42amThread Starter
MakeupTalk.com Top Pickspost #2 of 101/10/12 at 9:11pmpost #3 of 101/11/12 at 5:09amThread Starter
The first one is about TKB's plastic mold. When i pull the top out the lipsticks stay stuck to it instead of getting released like they should. I put a lot of mold release on it (I've tried both dimethicone and safflower oil) but it keeps on sticking. They release just fine from the bottom and look very nice but they keep clinging to the top. This is the second mold I got from TKB (they had to reship it to me because the first one was extremely defective).
The second one is that no matter how many drops of pigment white I add (Titanium dioxide dispersed in castor oil) I can't seem to get a color as opaque as I'd like. While the sticks apply very nicely and show up well on my lips I'd like a deeper coverage. I'm wondering if I need to throw in something like zinc oxide as well or if I should use powdered TiO2 instead of dispersed or what.post #4 of 101/11/12 at 9:28pmI've not made too many and i have a different type of mode but i wipe it with vaseline and i put the lippies in the freezer to cool for about an hour so its solid before taking it out of the mold. Ive not used the TO drops only powder to increase opacity...easier to add little at a time to experiment than to add too much and have to start from scratch. I sometimes tweek the same batch 7 or10 times.
R u making your own base or is it the tkb'?post #5 of 101/13/12 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #6 of 101/20/12 at 7:21ampost #7 of 101/20/12 at 8:09amThread Starterpost #8 of 101/20/12 at 7:54pm
I've always used powders and dispursed it myself in castor oil. Maybe it could be contributing to the opacity of the lipstick formula. I guess it depends on the depth of the colour as well if you are concerned about its payoff. Try using concealer on your lipts before applying your lipstick and see if it shows up better. I load colourants on pretty liberally as well. Maybe you just aren't putting enough colourant in your mix? If you still having trouble, try adding a little zinc oxide.post #9 of 101/21/12 at 5:51amThread Starter
Thank you very much for your advice. I had suspected that the liquid lip colors were being a problem by increasing the amount of castor oil in the formula (since that's what they're dispersed in). While it didn't noticeably soften the lipstick or anything I suspect that it makes everything more transparent. I do wonder about the amount of colorants since i'm going above and beyond TKB's recs. I think I should just go for powdered colors and/or zinc oxide.post #10 of 101/21/12 at 10:21am
I've never tried the liquids as it was an additional unnecessary purchase for me as I had all that powdered lakes and oxides and mica. I didn't feel the need to buy dispersed colour if I could just do it myself. It also depends on preference. TKB would recommend the most economical amount that'd provide minimum colour. It is a bit different if your lips are more pigmented than others. You'd require it to increase the opacity as well as intensity of the colour. My last lippy I made an orange/gold lippie.
- Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?
- Mineral Makeup Tips
- › Goodies.Co May 2013 5 minutes ago
- › Ipsy Glam Bag: June 2013 discussion (SPOILERS!) 5 minutes ago
- › Julep June 2013 6 minutes ago
- › The Or Game 13 minutes ago
- › bzz agent - consumer testing panel (aka lookie what i got to try out!) 16 minutes ago
- › Chain Reaction 17 minutes ago
- › FOTD-5-24-13 22 minutes ago
- › Help with eye shape and eyeliner? 24 minutes ago
- › Like it, love it, hate it, never tried it -food 27 minutes ago
- › Oily/Combo Skin HG products? 27 minutes ago
- › Philosophy Purity made Simple by sparklesgirlxox
- › NewBeauty TestTube by sparklesgirlxox
- › Birchbox Women by sparklesgirlxox
- › Ipsy... beauty by you by sparklesgirlxox
- › Glossbox USA by sparklesgirlxox
- › Wantable, Curated Products that fit you Perfectly. by sparklesgirlxox
- › K-Palette 24 Hour Real Lasting Liquid Eyeliner by laguilar12
- › Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, Carbon Black, 0.016... by Abacus
- › Ben Nye Luxury Powders - Banana 1.5oz by amandagreen
- › Garnier Olia Oil Powered Permanent Haircolor, 6.3 Light Golden Brown by Cosmobella20
- › The Lip Bar Contest by alyssaw
- › 3 Ways to Get a New Spring Look for Under $6 by thewendyyybird
- › The Truth About Tanning Beds by Director
- › Cream vs. Powered Eyeshadows by Director
- › How to Get a Fresh, Bright-Eyed Look by thewendyyybird
- › Join a Popular Subscriptions and Sampling Group! by Director
- › All About Hair Oil by thewendyyybird
- › The Dark Side of Trade Shows by zadidoll
- › 4 Nail Polish Collections for Summer 2013 by Dalylah
- › Buying Guide: 4 Neutral Eye Shadow Palettes... by Dalylah