Hi folks. It seems both the TKB and Coastal Scents formulator forums have gone the way of the dodo. Does anyone know of any other forums where people gather to discuss the formulation of MMU? I'm having issues with some lipsticks I'm trying to make and some help from more experienced folks would be great.
Related Forum Threads
- The ‘Benefit’ of looking flawless Last post on 8/29/13 at 2:25pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Custom Lipstick Color Inspired By Katy Perry Last post on 3/11/13 at 3:31pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Valentines Day Makeup Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:37am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- What are your favorite mineral lip products? Last post on 6/25/12 at 7:24am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Who has used Color Connection's mineral makeup and what do you think of it? Last post on 2/10/12 at 4:42pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
Changing Makeup With The Season
Last edited: 2/21/14
- Decade in Makeup: The 40's & 50's.Last edited: 1/1/14
- Decade in Makeup: The 20's.Last edited: 1/1/14
- The Best Way To Cut Costs on High End MakeupLast edited: 12/1/13
- Lipstick vs. Lip GlossLast edited: 4/19/13
I purchased this product about a month ago from Birchbox.com, I used my points so I got it for basically free but if you're just buying it it's 20 dollars; for the most part. I have suffered from...
The idea of this lip balm is fantastic. It's harder to lose than the traditional lip tube balms, which was one thing I absolutely loved. The smells were not overwhelming. What was a problem with me...
I bought this foundation because Benefit was doing a promotion for a free primer, which was a little baby size! I have combo/oily skin throughout most of the year but always get dry, flaky patches...
I think this face scrub is PERFECT for teens. This was the first have wash's I've bought when I was in high school, and I really enjoyed it. If you have sensitive skin, I do recommend that you...
I just bought this primer the other day for $20 at sephora for the full size. Mine is in a squeeze tube and not the actual bottle with the doe foot applicator. I like the tube better because I can...
Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?post #1 of 101/10/12 at 8:42amThread Starter
MakeupTalk.com Top Pickspost #2 of 101/10/12 at 9:11pmpost #3 of 101/11/12 at 5:09amThread Starter
The first one is about TKB's plastic mold. When i pull the top out the lipsticks stay stuck to it instead of getting released like they should. I put a lot of mold release on it (I've tried both dimethicone and safflower oil) but it keeps on sticking. They release just fine from the bottom and look very nice but they keep clinging to the top. This is the second mold I got from TKB (they had to reship it to me because the first one was extremely defective).
The second one is that no matter how many drops of pigment white I add (Titanium dioxide dispersed in castor oil) I can't seem to get a color as opaque as I'd like. While the sticks apply very nicely and show up well on my lips I'd like a deeper coverage. I'm wondering if I need to throw in something like zinc oxide as well or if I should use powdered TiO2 instead of dispersed or what.post #4 of 101/11/12 at 9:28pmI've not made too many and i have a different type of mode but i wipe it with vaseline and i put the lippies in the freezer to cool for about an hour so its solid before taking it out of the mold. Ive not used the TO drops only powder to increase opacity...easier to add little at a time to experiment than to add too much and have to start from scratch. I sometimes tweek the same batch 7 or10 times.
R u making your own base or is it the tkb'?post #5 of 101/13/12 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #6 of 101/20/12 at 7:21ampost #7 of 101/20/12 at 8:09amThread Starterpost #8 of 101/20/12 at 7:54pm
I've always used powders and dispursed it myself in castor oil. Maybe it could be contributing to the opacity of the lipstick formula. I guess it depends on the depth of the colour as well if you are concerned about its payoff. Try using concealer on your lipts before applying your lipstick and see if it shows up better. I load colourants on pretty liberally as well. Maybe you just aren't putting enough colourant in your mix? If you still having trouble, try adding a little zinc oxide.post #9 of 101/21/12 at 5:51amThread Starter
Thank you very much for your advice. I had suspected that the liquid lip colors were being a problem by increasing the amount of castor oil in the formula (since that's what they're dispersed in). While it didn't noticeably soften the lipstick or anything I suspect that it makes everything more transparent. I do wonder about the amount of colorants since i'm going above and beyond TKB's recs. I think I should just go for powdered colors and/or zinc oxide.post #10 of 101/21/12 at 10:21am
I've never tried the liquids as it was an additional unnecessary purchase for me as I had all that powdered lakes and oxides and mica. I didn't feel the need to buy dispersed colour if I could just do it myself. It also depends on preference. TKB would recommend the most economical amount that'd provide minimum colour. It is a bit different if your lips are more pigmented than others. You'd require it to increase the opacity as well as intensity of the colour. My last lippy I made an orange/gold lippie.
- Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?
- Decade in Makeup: The 40's & 50's.
- › BIRCHBOX March 2014 - Spoilers 1 second ago
- › March 2014 Ipsy Swaps 25 seconds ago
- › L'Oreal Test Panel - Who's Getting What, and How Is It?! 1 minute ago
- › Ipsy Glam Bag: March 2014 (Discussion/Spoilers/merged!) 3 minutes ago
- › Enablers...and anyone who wants to share their shopping deals! 4 minutes ago
- › Memebox: Korean Beauty Box Service 5 minutes ago
- › My new YouTube channel :) 6 minutes ago
- › Quarterly Co Nina Garcia 8 minutes ago
- › POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion) 9 minutes ago
- › Birchbox Swaps March 2014 11 minutes ago
- › 100% Pure Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream - 1 fl oz by PikaPop
- › EOS Organic Lip Balm Sphere-Summer Fruit by Rizzomorph
- › Benefit Cosmetics hello flawless oxygen wow! - IVORY by gingergirl12308
- › St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub by alwaysrennie
- › Urban Decay Primer Potion by gingergirl12308
- › Benefit Cosmetics Some Kind-A Gorgeous Lite 0.34 oz by award04
- › Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, 3.7 ml / 0.12 oz by award04
- › Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Facial Cleanser by BrierReviewer
- › NYX Cosmetics Extra Creamy Round Lipstick B52 by Kim Opal
- › Benefit They're Real! Mascara by JD Arias
- › Discussion: Makeup Pet Peeves by Airi Magdalene
- › Beauty Quackery Throughout History by Airi Magdalene
- › Myths About Beauty And The Science to Dispel... by Airi Magdalene
- › How To Handle Days Where Makeup Just... by Airi Magdalene
- › Makeup That Will Survive A Concert by Airi Magdalene
- › What's The Deal With Cheek Palettes? by Airi Magdalene
- › Are Premade Palettes Worth It? by Airi Magdalene
- › Nail Art Stuff on a Budget by Airi Magdalene
- › The No-Manicure Manicure by Airi Magdalene
- › Don't Get Duped By Skincare by Airi Magdalene