Hi folks. It seems both the TKB and Coastal Scents formulator forums have gone the way of the dodo. Does anyone know of any other forums where people gather to discuss the formulation of MMU? I'm having issues with some lipsticks I'm trying to make and some help from more experienced folks would be great.
Related Forum Threads
- The ‘Benefit’ of looking flawless Last post on 8/29/13 at 2:25pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Custom Lipstick Color Inspired By Katy Perry Last post on 3/11/13 at 3:31pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Valentines Day Makeup Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:37am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- What are your favorite mineral lip products? Last post on 6/25/12 at 7:24am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Who has used Color Connection's mineral makeup and what do you think of it? Last post on 2/10/12 at 4:42pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
The Best Way To Cut Costs on High End Makeup
Last edited: 12/1/13
- Lipstick vs. Lip GlossLast edited: 4/19/13
- Mineral Makeup TipsLast edited: 1/5/11
- Coordinating Your Makeup With Your AccessoriesLast edited: 12/2/13
- Christmas Shopping For Your Female SpouseLast edited: 12/1/13
I think Ipsy is super fun and just a blast. There are always full size items in there, the samples are large, no foils and a cute bag to boot! I'm very happy with Ipsy and highly recommend them....
I bought this polish a few days ago. I have 295 "Fancy Fushia". It's a reddish pink (it looks red under low light or yellow light). It was cheap-ish (not the cheapest but also not as expensive as...
I love this cleanser and always have a tube in my makeup kit. I use it mainly on clients and find it works for all skin types. I find it really gets the skin squeaky clean as well, but at the same...
This palette is exactly what is claims to be. "Basics" you need it. I use it almost every day at least as a base for more dramatic eyes, or by itself if i want a very natural look. I also sometimes...
Love this brush, sooo soft, never sheds, easy to clean, and it's great not just for powder but for liquid foundation too. It's the best, gives airbrush finish. I used to use MAC #190 on occasion,...
Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?post #1 of 101/10/12 at 8:42amThread Starter
MakeupTalk.com Top Pickspost #2 of 101/10/12 at 9:11pmpost #3 of 101/11/12 at 5:09amThread Starter
The first one is about TKB's plastic mold. When i pull the top out the lipsticks stay stuck to it instead of getting released like they should. I put a lot of mold release on it (I've tried both dimethicone and safflower oil) but it keeps on sticking. They release just fine from the bottom and look very nice but they keep clinging to the top. This is the second mold I got from TKB (they had to reship it to me because the first one was extremely defective).
The second one is that no matter how many drops of pigment white I add (Titanium dioxide dispersed in castor oil) I can't seem to get a color as opaque as I'd like. While the sticks apply very nicely and show up well on my lips I'd like a deeper coverage. I'm wondering if I need to throw in something like zinc oxide as well or if I should use powdered TiO2 instead of dispersed or what.post #4 of 101/11/12 at 9:28pmI've not made too many and i have a different type of mode but i wipe it with vaseline and i put the lippies in the freezer to cool for about an hour so its solid before taking it out of the mold. Ive not used the TO drops only powder to increase opacity...easier to add little at a time to experiment than to add too much and have to start from scratch. I sometimes tweek the same batch 7 or10 times.
R u making your own base or is it the tkb'?post #5 of 101/13/12 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #6 of 101/20/12 at 7:21ampost #7 of 101/20/12 at 8:09amThread Starterpost #8 of 101/20/12 at 7:54pm
I've always used powders and dispursed it myself in castor oil. Maybe it could be contributing to the opacity of the lipstick formula. I guess it depends on the depth of the colour as well if you are concerned about its payoff. Try using concealer on your lipts before applying your lipstick and see if it shows up better. I load colourants on pretty liberally as well. Maybe you just aren't putting enough colourant in your mix? If you still having trouble, try adding a little zinc oxide.post #9 of 101/21/12 at 5:51amThread Starter
Thank you very much for your advice. I had suspected that the liquid lip colors were being a problem by increasing the amount of castor oil in the formula (since that's what they're dispersed in). While it didn't noticeably soften the lipstick or anything I suspect that it makes everything more transparent. I do wonder about the amount of colorants since i'm going above and beyond TKB's recs. I think I should just go for powdered colors and/or zinc oxide.post #10 of 101/21/12 at 10:21am
I've never tried the liquids as it was an additional unnecessary purchase for me as I had all that powdered lakes and oxides and mica. I didn't feel the need to buy dispersed colour if I could just do it myself. It also depends on preference. TKB would recommend the most economical amount that'd provide minimum colour. It is a bit different if your lips are more pigmented than others. You'd require it to increase the opacity as well as intensity of the colour. My last lippy I made an orange/gold lippie.
- Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?
- Lipstick vs. Lip Gloss
- › Le Métier de Beauté Beauty Vault VIP 1 minute ago
- › Ipsy Glam Bag: December 2013 discussion (SPOILERS!) 2 minutes ago
- › Glamour Doll Eyes OTM December 2013 3 minutes ago
- › Enablers...and anyone who wants to share their shopping deals! 4 minutes ago
- › Urban Decay NAKED 3 palette 10 minutes ago
- › Nail Polish you're wearing right now? 13 minutes ago
- › Beauty Box 5 14 minutes ago
- › Sephora: codes, deals, sales, and discussion 19 minutes ago
- › (SPOILERS!) Secret Santa FOR NAILS 2013 Presents Revealed! 19 minutes ago
- › Ipsy December 2013 Swap-O-Rama 21 minutes ago
- › Ipsy... beauty by you by GlamBabe
- › Rimmel London Lycra Pro by Pfff
- › Murad Clarifying Cleanser by SophiaSmart
- › Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette by jellybeanjean
- › E.L.F. Studio Powder Brush by serenity77
- › NYX Powder Blush by ninalee
- › Les Nereides Oriental Lumpur Eau de Toilette by Bflopolska
- › Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, 3.7 ml / 0.12 oz by numbersmom
- › Sephora Favorites Lip Service Lip Sampler Blockbuster by Hayden Gabba
- › Brazilian Peel Brazilian Peel™ 4 Applications by GlamBabe
- › IMATS 2014 Los Angeles Definitive Guide by Director
- › Printable Nail Decals Actually Work! Who Knew! by bowsandnails
- › Finally Nail Decals That Really Work!! by bowsandnails
- › Purse Hacks: Fixing Your Makeup When You... by Airi Magdalene
- › How To Build Your Own Custom Palette by Airi Magdalene
- › Naked 3: The Palette You've Been Waiting... by Airi Magdalene
- › The Debate: Foundation or Eyeshadow First? by Airi Magdalene
- › The Debate: Foundation or Concealer First? by Airi Magdalene
- › Coordinating Your Makeup With Your Accessories by Airi Magdalene
- › If You Don't Do "Face of the... by Airi Magdalene