Hi folks. It seems both the TKB and Coastal Scents formulator forums have gone the way of the dodo. Does anyone know of any other forums where people gather to discuss the formulation of MMU? I'm having issues with some lipsticks I'm trying to make and some help from more experienced folks would be great.
Related Forum Threads
- The ‘Benefit’ of looking flawless Last post on 8/29/13 at 2:25pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Custom Lipstick Color Inspired By Katy Perry Last post on 3/11/13 at 3:31pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Valentines Day Makeup Last post on 2/14/13 at 7:37am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- What are your favorite mineral lip products? Last post on 6/25/12 at 7:24am in Mineral Makeup Talk
- Who has used Color Connection's mineral makeup and what do you think of it? Last post on 2/10/12 at 4:42pm in Mineral Makeup Talk
Changing Makeup With The Season
Last edited: 2/21/14
- Decade in Makeup: The 40's & 50's.Last edited: 1/1/14
- Decade in Makeup: The 20's.Last edited: 1/1/14
- The Best Way To Cut Costs on High End MakeupLast edited: 12/1/13
- Lipstick vs. Lip GlossLast edited: 4/19/13
This is by far my favorite subscription box. No other subscription I've tried compares as far as what comes inside the box itself. Some months are better than others, but I have found my...
I've been an Ipsy subscriber for about 7 months, and I'm going to drop my subscription. For me, there were two major downsides to the service: 1. Ipsy's focus is very much on the 'glam'. In...
I received this in a PopSugar box. I may be one of the few people NOT complaining about receiving it. I never would have tried this if it hadn't come in a sub box, but I am happy to have it. I'm...
I really do think L'Oreal has the best mascara products. I'm loving the new Butterfly Mascara. The wand shape is unique and works well to get those hard to reach end lashes. I'm not able to create...
I have received this serum in several different sub boxes, and I'm always thrilled to see it. It is pretty prices for the full size version, and I probably wouldn't spend that on a face serum. I...
Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?post #1 of 101/10/12 at 8:42amThread Starter
MakeupTalk.com Top Pickspost #2 of 101/10/12 at 9:11pmpost #3 of 101/11/12 at 5:09amThread Starter
The first one is about TKB's plastic mold. When i pull the top out the lipsticks stay stuck to it instead of getting released like they should. I put a lot of mold release on it (I've tried both dimethicone and safflower oil) but it keeps on sticking. They release just fine from the bottom and look very nice but they keep clinging to the top. This is the second mold I got from TKB (they had to reship it to me because the first one was extremely defective).
The second one is that no matter how many drops of pigment white I add (Titanium dioxide dispersed in castor oil) I can't seem to get a color as opaque as I'd like. While the sticks apply very nicely and show up well on my lips I'd like a deeper coverage. I'm wondering if I need to throw in something like zinc oxide as well or if I should use powdered TiO2 instead of dispersed or what.post #4 of 101/11/12 at 9:28pmI've not made too many and i have a different type of mode but i wipe it with vaseline and i put the lippies in the freezer to cool for about an hour so its solid before taking it out of the mold. Ive not used the TO drops only powder to increase opacity...easier to add little at a time to experiment than to add too much and have to start from scratch. I sometimes tweek the same batch 7 or10 times.
R u making your own base or is it the tkb'?post #5 of 101/13/12 at 9:53amThread Starterpost #6 of 101/20/12 at 7:21ampost #7 of 101/20/12 at 8:09amThread Starterpost #8 of 101/20/12 at 7:54pm
I've always used powders and dispursed it myself in castor oil. Maybe it could be contributing to the opacity of the lipstick formula. I guess it depends on the depth of the colour as well if you are concerned about its payoff. Try using concealer on your lipts before applying your lipstick and see if it shows up better. I load colourants on pretty liberally as well. Maybe you just aren't putting enough colourant in your mix? If you still having trouble, try adding a little zinc oxide.post #9 of 101/21/12 at 5:51amThread Starter
Thank you very much for your advice. I had suspected that the liquid lip colors were being a problem by increasing the amount of castor oil in the formula (since that's what they're dispersed in). While it didn't noticeably soften the lipstick or anything I suspect that it makes everything more transparent. I do wonder about the amount of colorants since i'm going above and beyond TKB's recs. I think I should just go for powdered colors and/or zinc oxide.post #10 of 101/21/12 at 10:21am
I've never tried the liquids as it was an additional unnecessary purchase for me as I had all that powdered lakes and oxides and mica. I didn't feel the need to buy dispersed colour if I could just do it myself. It also depends on preference. TKB would recommend the most economical amount that'd provide minimum colour. It is a bit different if your lips are more pigmented than others. You'd require it to increase the opacity as well as intensity of the colour. My last lippy I made an orange/gold lippie.
- Are there still any MMU formulator forums around?
- Decade in Makeup: The 40's & 50's.
- › IPSY April Swaps 1 minute ago
- › Circular Swap #5: West Discussion 1 minute ago
- › PopSugar Special Edition Resort Box 4 minutes ago
- › SEPHORA: VIB Rouge 4 minutes ago
- › Bijoux Box 4 minutes ago
- › Birchbox Swaps April 2014 6 minutes ago
- › Popsugar Must Have April 2014 *SPOILERS* 8 minutes ago
- › Memebox: Korean Beauty Box Service 9 minutes ago
- › Round 4: West Coast Box 10 minutes ago
- › Ipsy Glam Bag: April 2014 (Discussion/Spoilers) [merged] 12 minutes ago
- › Glossbox USA by Elizabeth Mac
- › Ipsy... beauty by you by Lyllis
- › Dial Moisturizing Vitamin Boost Amazing B Body Wash - 16 Oz by BrierReviewer
- › L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara, Blackest Black,... by BrierReviewer
- › Murad Active Radiance Serum 0.5 oz-Brand New, No Box by BrierReviewer
- › Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal 7 oz... by BrierReviewer
- › Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Luminous Light 0.35 oz by princess2010
- › Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse Taupe by Krystan
- › Hard Candy Lash Ink 4 Day Lash Stain by Director
- › Pro Blending Eyeshadow Fluff Brush by Lisa Sherin
- › Protect Your "Second Face" by Auber Vincent
- › Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette || Day to Night by ItsTheWifeLife
- › Makeup No-NO by Coyieworld
- › Discussion: Makeup Pet Peeves by Airi Magdalene
- › Beauty Quackery Throughout History by Airi Magdalene
- › Myths About Beauty And The Science to Dispel... by Airi Magdalene
- › How To Handle Days Where Makeup Just... by Airi Magdalene
- › Makeup That Will Survive A Concert by Airi Magdalene
- › What's The Deal With Cheek Palettes? by Airi Magdalene
- › Are Premade Palettes Worth It? by skehoe