or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › General Topics › Let's Chit Chat! › Something you should be aware of: moldy tampons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Something you should be aware of: moldy tampons

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

So this is not my story, but something I came across: 

 

http://www.parrforthecourse.com/2012/03/tale-of-moldy-tampon.html

 

This woman opened a tampon and it was MOLDY. And kotex is really brushing her off on this! What is wrong with them? I'm really grossed out by this, and disappointed by Kotex. Shouldn't women's health be one of their top priorities...as a maker of pads and tampons? 

post #2 of 28

zombie.gif That is the exact face I made while reading that blog.

 

This might be an excuse to finally make the journey over to the Diva Cup.

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

I was thinking the same thing! I think I would vomit if I went to use a tampon and found it full of mold. 

post #4 of 28

Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.

post #5 of 28

I saw this the other day and promptly bought a diva cup. All of my lady friends have been raving about them for so long, so I had been meaning to buy one anyway. This pushed me over the edge, lol

post #6 of 28

I had been using Instead (menstrual cup) on and off... its hard to find but Diva cup may be something I'm going to try.  

post #7 of 28
This just made me so glad I use OB...
post #8 of 28

Is the diva cup really that great? I've heard about them.. but I'm still kind of scared of leakage..

post #9 of 28

I have to wonder about leakage as well. I understand the concept but sticking something in me like that is... well to be honest it's on the EWW side. Then to pull it out to empty, clean and reinsert. Least with a tampon you don't deal with cleaning it or storing away for the month. I rather deal with OB which have no applicators.

post #10 of 28
The ”emptying and cleaning” freaks me out.. I don't think I could handle that. At all. Ew.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.



Before I came to the US OB's were all I used.. I was so freaked out by the plastic applicators at first! Now I use Tampax Pearl too, though (or sometimes the cheaper CVS kind).

I like OB's -- unless you're grossed out by.. err... don't want to get to picturesque but... "getting your hands dirty"... I'd say go for it! :)

post #12 of 28

emptying and cleaning skeeves me out a bit, too, but not quite as much as all of the chemicals in tampons. yuck! plus I'm pretty sure you only have to empty them a couple of times a day, and I'm sure once you're past the learning curve it gets easier and less messy. 

 

I'll report back in a few weeks ;)

post #13 of 28

I can see emptying and cleaning someone elses stuff but I don't understand why anyone would be squeamish about their own body?  Alternative is inserting chemical laden paper products into your body that can cause toxic shock or carry mold spores or insect parts 

post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Holy... That's NASTY! Glad I use Tampax Pearl but I'll be doing random checking of my tampons before using them from now on. Maybe I should switch to OB since those don't have applicators.

Before I came to the US OB's were all I used.. I was so freaked out by the plastic applicators at first! Now I use Tampax Pearl too, though (or sometimes the cheaper CVS kind).

I like OB's -- unless you're grossed out by.. err... don't want to get to picturesque but... "getting your hands dirty"... I'd say go for it! :)


Oh for goodness sakes, we're women here we know what to expect during a period, right? So why are women so squeamish to even discuss it? I indeed include myself in this because it's like a taboo topic! But yes, it's why I never used OB tampons because I don't want to get my fingers covered in blood. It's my own blood and yet it's not something I like to touch. Isn't it weird if I get a cut on my hand I have no problems touching the blood from that wound. If I got a bloody nose, no problem with that blood but if it's a period? It's like EWW!! What is it about our periods that makes us women so squeamish to talk about?

 

So since you have experience using OB tampons... is there a string to pull it out like with Tampax tampons? Another thing to consider is just removing the tampon out of the applicator and inserting the tampon like an OB one since aren't Tampax longer than OB ones?

 

 

post #15 of 28

OB DEFINITELY have a string! They are not as messy as a Diva Cup/Keeper/Instead, IMHO. Plus, I found that when using a cup, my cramps were a LOT worse.

 

I actually prefer OB, even though I'm old enough to remember the whole TSS fracas that had them off-shelves for a long time. I tend to pinch myself with plastic applicators, and cardboard is annoying. Granted, I ALSO have REALLY short nails--something to bear in mind if you go applicator-less. I think the reason I prefer to be applicator-less is because of the waste and because if I'm not carrying a purse, OB fit better in my jeans pocket. Hell, even when I have used U by Kotex, I take it OUT of the applicator and treat it as IF it were an OB (again, the pinching. Don't judge!) I'm not personally skeeved out my ANY of my bodily fluids, but I do understand why some folks are--it's cuz it's not JUST blood, it's ALSO your uterine lining....and I'd be mortally skeeved out by placenta, so no trippin', IMHO. Everyone has their thing.

 

The Kotex reaction is BAD, though. I REALLY don't like that they said, "It's a mold not dissimilar to a bread mold" or however they phrased it, cuz you know what it is that molds in bread? YEAST

 

I think I've said QUITE enough.

post #16 of 28

You can't insert an applicator type tampon as easily as you'd be able to insert an OB.  An applicator type tampon is flimsy and bendy while OB is a hard packed bullet.  

 

If you've seen a packaged OB, the blue coloured bottom is the string so you can remove it.   When you remove the plastic around the OB bullet, you'll see the blue string.  

 

I don't understand why women are so disgusted by their own bodies.   I have used Instead which is a disposable cup but I had problems with leakage during a super heavy flow but I do use it when the flow is no longer super heavy, especially when I don't want to carry around packages of tampons everywhere I went.  I just insert in the morning and change it when I got to bed.  

 

I just keep thinking about all the moms here... if you can change a poopie diaper, you can handle a menstrual cup without a problem.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post


Oh for goodness sakes, we're women here we know what to expect during a period, right? So why are women so squeamish to even discuss it? I indeed include myself in this because it's like a taboo topic! But yes, it's why I never used OB tampons because I don't want to get my fingers covered in blood. It's my own blood and yet it's not something I like to touch. Isn't it weird if I get a cut on my hand I have no problems touching the blood from that wound. If I got a bloody nose, no problem with that blood but if it's a period? It's like EWW!! What is it about our periods that makes us women so squeamish to talk about?

 

So since you have experience using OB tampons... is there a string to pull it out like with Tampax tampons? Another thing to consider is just removing the tampon out of the applicator and inserting the tampon like an OB one since aren't Tampax longer than OB ones?

 

 



 

post #17 of 28


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divadoll View Post

You can't insert an applicator type tampon as easily as you'd be able to insert an OB.  An applicator type tampon is flimsy and bendy while OB is a hard packed bullet.  

 

If you've seen a packaged OB, the blue coloured bottom is the string so you can remove it.   When you remove the plastic around the OB bullet, you'll see the blue string.  

 

I don't understand why women are so disgusted by their own bodies.   I have used Instead which is a disposable cup but I had problems with leakage during a super heavy flow but I do use it when the flow is no longer super heavy, especially when I don't want to carry around packages of tampons everywhere I went.  I just insert in the morning and change it when I got to bed.  

 

I just keep thinking about all the moms here... if you can change a poopie diaper, you can handle a menstrual cup without a problem.
 



 


Honestly, once you're used to OB, applicator-type tampons aren't hard to insert WITHOUT the applicator. I think the hardest part with OB for those who aren't squeamish about it, is that since it IS such a hard-packed bullet, it can be difficult to position correctly AT FIRST. 

 

And poopie diaper....ugh.... I'd rather deal with a tampon or cup ANY day.

 

OH, and a word of caution--if silicone/latex are issues, MAKE SURE you're not purchasing a cup that has either of those in it. I remember the original "Keeper" many years ago was made of rubber, but it was HARD and ouchie, whereas Instead are relatively comfortable (barring the worsened cramps), although they LOOK terrifying, size-wise. 

 

Here's the thing--because it's been so long (for most of us) since we first started dealing with our periods, ANY change from what we are comfortable with is GOING to have a learning curve, no matter how small. But it's worth it to explore other options from your comfort zone, because that change could actually make all the difference in the world in how you feel about TOM, ya know?

post #18 of 28

I actually started with OB before any applicator type tampons because I didn't like having to deal with the applicator afterwards (additional waste and packaging).  I didn't try applicator type tampons until much later.  I have tried inserting an applicator type without the applicator and I couldn't do it...maybe just the type it was.  Cardboard applicators pinch!  I hate them.  I don't cramp so I have no problems in that respect.  

 

 

...and poopie diapers, you get what I mean.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calexxia View Post


Honestly, once you're used to OB, applicator-type tampons aren't hard to insert WITHOUT the applicator. I think the hardest part with OB for those who aren't squeamish about it, is that since it IS such a hard-packed bullet, it can be difficult to position correctly AT FIRST. 

 

And poopie diaper....ugh.... I'd rather deal with a tampon or cup ANY day.

 



 

post #19 of 28

Haha, divadoll, I TOTALLY get what you mean (but the whole concept of childbirth and of dealing with ANOTHER human's bodily fluids creeeeps me out). Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding TOM, though :)

 

 

 

post #20 of 28

If you are on the pill, you can take it consecutively without that 7 day 'break' and not have a period at all.  I've done that too.   Ultimately, I'd prefer to not have one at all.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

Haha, divadoll, I TOTALLY get what you mean (but the whole concept of childbirth and of dealing with ANOTHER human's bodily fluids creeeeps me out). Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same page regarding TOM, though :)

 

 

 



 

post #21 of 28

I haven't been on the pill for the past 8 years, ever since I got my tubes tied, or I would consider doing that. I thought about staying on it FOR that reason, but figured it wasn't worth it, considering the potential for damage to my body from the ongoing hormones.

post #22 of 28

This moldy tampon thing is pretty darn horrifying. Gonna share the link to that blog with some friends.

post #23 of 28

This is another reason I only use cardboard applicators. You can tell immediately if something is wrong since the cardboard is also damaged. I've never had one get moldy on me but I have had a water leak under my sink and not realized it until I pulled out my tampons and they looked weird (they got wet and then dried which made the paper all wrinkly and the cardboard swell).

 

I've tried OB and its safe to say I do not like them. I really don't mind getting my hands dirty but I constantly have issues with my nails and I simply got tired of scratching/cutting myself. It's just easier with an applicator. 

post #24 of 28

Wow, just wow

post #25 of 28

Oh my.  sick.gif

 

I would freak out if I found a moldy tampon like that.

 

In the letter Kotex sent her, it says, "In instances where it has been found, we conducted tests on the product involved and have found the mold to be a common environmental species that carries no health risk."  Does anyone know if this is true? 

 

I used to use a Diva Cup, but then I lost it, so I'm back to using tampons.  But the idea of moldy tampons just . . . weirds me out.

post #26 of 28

I just read this blog and eww. Makes me glad I don''t use tampons. I know that using pads is old fashion but tampons just make my cramps so much worse, and they're already pretty bad. And the cup thing, whatever its called, just look unhygienic to me. Yes I too am skeeved out by own period blood so that would just make me sick. (I work with ppl who are mentally disabled and believe you me I have dealt with every sort of bodily fluid so I am not squeamish.) And again, I'm sure it would worsen my cramps.

 

I have used tampons lots of times, like when I go to the beach or whatever, but because my periods can be so unbelievably heavy and the cramping, they're just not practical for me. But when I do use them, I will def be checking them now.

post #27 of 28

That whole blogpost is disgusting. UGH!

post #28 of 28
That post actually made me more committed to not use tampons anymore. I bought a Diva Cup, used it for the duration of my period. I have some really heavy flow especially at the start and I used it for the first day. No leak, no need for a pad. I sneezed and it did not leak.. I emptied it when I got home and when I woke up in the morning. I love it. It is a non-porous material and so no bacteria can grow. it does not expose the fluid to air so there is no odor. I don't throw wads of paper and plastic into the landfill or sewer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Let's Chit Chat!
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › General Topics › Let's Chit Chat! › Something you should be aware of: moldy tampons