or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox: December 2012

Birchbox: December 2012 - Page 18

post #511 of 2321
Sorry for the late night digression.

I am very proud of the changes I have made and the progress I see. My whole family sees it too and is (jealous) and supportive.

I do not need a random stranger on the Internet belittling my successes in life because it's not to their liking. not exactly a professional attitude

Back to the bb... I wonder if they will ever do another bublebar style contest, where you earn extra goodies for your box, I feel like bublebar bracelets were last November, I got one and loved it,would really like to see something similar done again.

Also glittery nail polish. I have been doing a new manicure everyday of December and am on such a manicure kick. I would loooove something sparkley.

Last December was the only birchbox I ever hated in 23months, so I think I can only be impressed smile.gif
post #512 of 2321

Haha lo-carb diets are one of the most crazy divisive issues.   I've been on both sides of it, lost a lot of weight (80 lb) on it years ago, and for the most part was a lot healthier.  I actually carried a copy of my lipid profile results to prove that my cholesterol was down to defend myself.

 

However, my kidney functions declined and I was ordered off of it, and despite eating healthy and being active, the weight came on faster than I even thought was possible.  My mom lost 100 and gained back 120.  When they say it's for life, they mean it.  I figure it's a YMMV thing.  I'll admit I tried it again, but it never had the same drastic success.  I also picked up distance (slow) running and if it weren't for carb gel I would never be able to get past 6 miles.  I do limit my intake now, but more along the lines of a diabetic diet.  

 

Aaaaaaaaand I'm not sure how I feel about eye gel.  It isn't very fun, and it isn't the sort of thing I spend money on.  At the same time, as I get older my eyes really show how tired I am.  I'm still in my (late) 20's, so maybe I should start exploring eye care since I've got some time left to go downhill.

post #513 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggpi View Post

Haha lo-carb diets are one of the most crazy divisive issues.   I've been on both sides of it, lost a lot of weight (80 lb) on it years ago, and for the most part was a lot healthier.  I actually carried a copy of my lipid profile results to prove that my cholesterol was down to defend myself.

 

However, my kidney functions declined and I was ordered off of it, and despite eating healthy and being active, the weight came on faster than I even thought was possible.  My mom lost 100 and gained back 120.  When they say it's for life, they mean it.  I figure it's a YMMV thing.  I'll admit I tried it again, but it never had the same drastic success.  I also picked up distance (slow) running and if it weren't for carb gel I would never be able to get past 6 miles.  I do limit my intake now, but more along the lines of a diabetic diet.  

 

Aaaaaaaaand I'm not sure how I feel about eye gel.  It isn't very fun, and it isn't the sort of thing I spend money on.  At the same time, as I get older my eyes really show how tired I am.  I'm still in my (late) 20's, so maybe I should start exploring eye care since I've got some time left to go downhill.

Thank you!!!! Someone finally mentioned the one major key to losing the weight and keeping it off...... exercising!!!! I lost 60 pounds three years ago by eating HEALTHEIR and I workout 5-6 days a week. Not only does the weight stay off, but I also reap the rewards of exercising by improving my overall health. 

post #514 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

Sorry for the late night digression.
I am very proud of the changes I have made and the progress I see. My whole family sees it too and is (jealous) and supportive.
I do not need a random stranger on the Internet belittling my successes in life because it's not to their liking. not exactly a professional attitude
Back to the bb... I wonder if they will ever do another bublebar style contest, where you earn extra goodies for your box, I feel like bublebar bracelets were last November, I got one and loved it,would really like to see something similar done again.
Also glittery nail polish. I have been doing a new manicure everyday of December and am on such a manicure kick. I would loooove something sparkley.
Last December was the only birchbox I ever hated in 23months, so I think I can only be impressed smile.gif

Don't really mean to jump into this, but it didn't seem to me that she was belittling your success. From where I stand she was saying "Awesome that you've lost it and kept it off, but it might not work for others and could possibly cause them harm." 

 

You were the one quick to call her a liar and her profession a crock of shiticon_neutral.gif  While you might not agree with the stance she was taking in saying "awesome for you, but please don't advise people on what they should or shouldn't eat as they should see, maybe not necessarily a nutritionist or a dietician but their primary care physician," it's sound advice you'd get from anyone who isn't touting a fad diet. Seeing as how you've seen a doctor it seems you're doing precisely what she's suggesting, without suggesting to anyone else that they should as well.

 

Don't get me wrong, I can see how you can get defensive about it, but to tell her she's wrong and regurgitating lies shows you as the person who was being belittling. I'm also not being party to "lets jump on the hate on gypsiemagic bandwagon"; just calling it how I see it. I think it's great that you've lost a substantial amount of weight and are proud about it, but maybe you should tell people to check with their dr's when you tell them to look into what's worked so well for you.

 

Now back to beauty stuffs to distract me from finals. undwech.gif

post #515 of 2321
My two cents on the food debate (Click to show)

I vote everything in moderation and I don't eat many, if any, unnatural things (like pre-packaged foods, processed foods, frozen meals, refined sugar).  For the record, I personally eat pasta for at least one meal of the day (viva l'Italia!), eat and cook mostly at home and I am and have been at a healthy weight for basically my entire life.  It depends on the carb, the portion and what you cook it with that makes it bad for you in my experience.  Everything in moderation.  Everyone's happy.  

 

 

As for the BB's...  I think I enjoy speculating as much, if not more than actually receiving what's in my boxes.  The Tay products in the shop look nice, and the Juice Beauty Alicia Silverstone ones would be gentle and interesting too probably.  I wouldn't mind trying them.  

post #516 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

This is why eating low carb has worked for me! It's a lifestyle change and not a diet, I don't even think about it most days (it only requires a bit of thought when we get asked out to a restaurant by friends) I think when you are no longer constantly thinking about it, that it has really stuck :) 

 

People on unrealistic diets fail. 900 calories and you are going to be hungry. eat only soup, you are going to pee a lot and be hungry. Its about finding a healthy balance while achieving the weight loss you want. Keto is nowhere near unrealistic. You can eat unlimited animal products, some cheese leafy greens and veggies, there are so many options, and as a salad lover, all it takes is removing crutons and getting low carb dressing. Want to go to in-n-out.. order it lettuce wrapped. There are tiny substitutions that make it really easy to follow. 

 

Pretty much everybody who eats this way loses a considerable amount of weight and keep it off. Its been proven in peer reviewed scientific journals that low carb is more effective than low fat or low calorie. 

 

I am interested to hear what worked for you, I am always looking for new tips for healthy living.

 

Also I am interested to hear what she would reccomend to people looking to drop a few sizes, she didn't offer any but I'm sure she has good tips too.

That's great to hear, i'm always happy to read success stories. If you've found what works for you and it's not unhealthy then that's honestly all that matters. I've actually never heard of the Keto diet but i'll definitely be looking it up later. Like I said earlier, what really worked for me was substitutions like brown rice instead of white, red or yukon gold potatoes instead of white, whole wheat pasta, etc. making sure to eat fruits and veggies with every meal, drinking a lot more water and tea. Doing simple stuff like this was pretty easy for me because I've never been a fan of fried foods or sweets

post #517 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

I personally prefer the 'Raging Case of Bronchitis' diet that I have been on for a month. I find that the non stop coughing and hacking makes me super nauseous, so I can't eat.... I lost 10 lbs WooHoo! 

ohh, I was on that!! I called it the "baby seal cough till I puke" diet! It was acompanied by a throat so sore that it made me cry. Not a fun time. 

 

Now I'm on the "eat everything in sight because it's the last week of the semester and I have to write three more papers" food plan. I wrote 5 pages of one of my papers by rewarding myself with a chocolate when I finished each section. Oh grad school, you are wonderful and so awful at the same time. 

 

On the plus side, I'm also avoiding my work by going to the gym. so it's a win-win!

post #518 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPeterson View Post

So, Tom (my fiancé) a couple years ago asked me to be his girlfriend at a park called Papago Park in AZ. So Friday night he wanted to have a date night there and we went and waited until everyone else left at sunset and asked me there! biggrin.gif Then he surprised me by creating and planning an engagement party dinner with family and friends! It was fabulous! biggrin.gif

Congratulations! That's a very sweet story, thanks for sharing. I'm a sucker for love stories!
post #519 of 2321
Okay ladies, while it's the norm to go off topic, differing opinions/thoughts don't have to result in arguments or belittling others. Don't take things so personally and remember to be polite and respectful. A different perspective can be helpful at times, offering new insight or knowledge. This is why we stress trying not to use profane language; it can totally change the tone and blow things up.

It's called tolerance for a reason. If you're interested in talking diet, fads, and exercise, hit up the Fitness section or start a thread. Don't let it bleed all over and overrun our BB thread, please.
post #520 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean View Post

Okay ladies, while it's the norm to go off topic, differing opinions/thoughts don't have to result in arguments or belittling others. Don't take things so personally and remember to be polite and respectful. A different perspective can be helpful at times, offering new insight or knowledge. This is why we stress trying not to use profane language; it can totally change the tone and blow things up.
It's called tolerance for a reason. If you're interested in talking diet, fads, and exercise, hit up the Fitness section or start a thread. Don't let it bleed all over and overrun our BB thread, please.


I co-sign. I come to the site/ thread for BB related stuff, not other nonsense about people's personal life. Don't need or really want to know about your bfs (even though I'm sure they're all awesome), how much $$$ you guys have or don't, where you live, views from your dorm room, etc...

*sigh* may be it's just the grandma in me, but I could care less.

post #521 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by plutorayz View Post

Don't really mean to jump into this, but it didn't seem to me that she was belittling your success. From where I stand she was saying "Awesome that you've lost it and kept it off, but it might not work for others and could possibly cause them harm." 

 

You were the one quick to call her a liar and her profession a crock of shiticon_neutral.gif  While you might not agree with the stance she was taking in saying "awesome for you, but please don't advise people on what they should or shouldn't eat as they should see, maybe not necessarily a nutritionist or a dietician but their primary care physician," it's sound advice you'd get from anyone who isn't touting a fad diet. Seeing as how you've seen a doctor it seems you're doing precisely what she's suggesting, without suggesting to anyone else that they should as well.

 

Don't get me wrong, I can see how you can get defensive about it, but to tell her she's wrong and regurgitating lies shows you as the person who was being belittling. I'm also not being party to "lets jump on the hate on gypsiemagic bandwagon"; just calling it how I see it. I think it's great that you've lost a substantial amount of weight and are proud about it, but maybe you should tell people to check with their dr's when you tell them to look into what's worked so well for you.

 

Well said, my thoughts exactly.  claps.gif

post #522 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAsh View Post


I co-sign. I come to the site/ thread for BB related stuff, not other nonsense about people's personal life. Don't need or really want to know about your bfs (even though I'm sure they're all awesome), how much $$$ you guys have or don't, where you live, views from your dorm room, etc...
*sigh* may be it's just the grandma in me, but I could care less.

Its got nothing to do with "grandma" status, lol. This is a forum folks, with a lot of other threads outside of this one. There is a variety of topic options, but many seem content to stay here and have a ridiculous run on conversation about everything under the sun. I think when topics start deviating too far off, members will be redirected on where their conversations or debates are more appropriate. Sorry to be a ninny, but I'm looking out for all members here.
post #523 of 2321

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

post #524 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshybelle View Post

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sounds good! But why would anyone want to rent a dress? Icky. Did you get a shipping notification?

 

post #525 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmeans View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sounds good! But why would anyone want to rent a dress? Icky. Did you get a shipping notification?

 

Hahaha, I agree. I recieved no shipping notice, or tracking numbers, and my account still shows Novembers box. It was a complete surprise.

post #526 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmeans View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sounds good! But why would anyone want to rent a dress? Icky. Did you get a shipping notification?

 

Well, men rent tuxedos so idk how its much different. These are very expensive dresses that you can rent for a one time occasion. 

post #527 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshybelle View Post

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

That is a great box!! I'm surprised that you received yours so soon! It's not a welcome box is it?

post #528 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshybelle View Post

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

I hope I get the purple eyeliner!  I'm almost out of mine and have been holding off on buying more.  I hope they're in multiple boxes.

post #529 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post

That is a great box!! I'm surprised that you received yours so soon! It's not a welcome box is it?

I'm surprised also. It's not a welcome box either.

post #530 of 2321

I LOVE that eyeliner.  In fact, I'm wearing it today.  Would love another color..........

 

edited: forgot to white out the text!

post #531 of 2321

I really hope I get to try the CC Cream. I love my Dr Jart BB Cream.

post #532 of 2321
I hope this means they fixed the shipping snafu with the eye products! I've been dying for them to get a certain color in stock, to add to my collection. Man, cannot wait for my boxes! Woo woo! That was fast lol.
post #533 of 2321
Omg so jealous. Your box has everything I wanted from the preview and know I liked from before. I didn't get a box yet so I guess me getting this box is out of the question...
post #534 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshybelle View Post

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

 

 

Nice!! Does the Rent the Runway gift card have a minimum? If you can use it on a $50 rental that is awesome!! They have amazing dresses there. I used the service once and unfortunately the dress didn't fit, but would definitely use again. 

post #535 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauravee View Post

 

 

Nice!! Does the Rent the Runway gift card have a minimum? If you can use it on a $50 rental that is awesome!! They have amazing dresses there. I used the service once and unfortunately the dress didn't fit, but would definitely use again. 

Yes, it's $50 towards a $125 or more rental.

post #536 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmeans View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

Sounds good! But why would anyone want to rent a dress? Icky. Did you get a shipping notification?

 

 

They keep their dresses really clean and take then out of rotation once they show any signs of wear, but if that isn't your thing RTR has some great jewelry you can rent for a special night, most of which rents for $50 and under. 

post #537 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

Well, men rent tuxedos so idk how its much different. These are very expensive dresses that you can rent for a one time occasion. 

Plus accessories.. it gives anyone a chance to try designer labels or brands normally out of a person's price range. Like Bag, Borrow, or Steal. Same concept. Plus, there are consignment shops that cater exclusively to designer labels and whatnot. Not for everyone, but interesting nonetheless. I think it sort of fits into a holiday theme..a little bit of luxury and indulgence?

I'd be interested more in the accessories, since I'm probably too voluptuous and Rubenesque(wink wink) for their clothes! I've got Ess curves a plenty and Marilyn Monroe would've been proud haha.
post #538 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAsh View Post

I co-sign. I come to the site/ thread for BB related stuff, not other nonsense about people's personal life. Don't need or really want to know about your bfs (even though I'm sure they're all awesome), how much $$$ you guys have or don't, where you live, views from your dorm room, etc...

*sigh* may be it's just the grandma in me, but I could care less.

 

Hahaha preach it, girrrrl.

 

I actually don't mind reading personal stories like weight loss successes, ladies getting engaged, funny stories about boyfriends, cool happenings where people live, etc. - buuuuut sometimes the excessive gloating/bragging/name-dropping gets awkward and annoying.

post #539 of 2321

Have you tried the CC cream?  I'm hoping its good.

post #540 of 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshybelle View Post

On a lighter note, wooohoooo my box just got here!

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

eyeko skinny liquid eyeliner in purple

Nick shampoo by Nick Chavez (2 ounce sample)

Juice Beauty CC cream

Juicy Couture sample  (spray atomizer)

emily's dark chocolate peppermint Fortune Cookie

$50 gift card off a dress or accesory rental @renttherunway.com

 

A great box and I love it!

Sweet box! I broke down and ordered a couple of the eyeko eyeliners (in aqua and olive) before ever sampling them but I'd loveeee it in purple.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birchbox Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox: December 2012