or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › Makeup & Cosmetics › Mineral Makeup Talk › Am I the only one who HATES mineral makeup?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Am I the only one who HATES mineral makeup?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Question: Does anyone else absolutely HATE mineral makeup?

 

No matter what I try, it doesn't agree with my skin. I've had some sort of allergic reaction to every single type of mineral makeup I've tried, usually it's in the form of dry, itchy skin -- ick!

 

I like the idea of it, and I like how it goes on and covers, but I hate the reaction I get every time I use it. I'm much happier using traditional liquid foundation. I don't have such severe reactions to it, and I personally think the coverage and finish is nicer anyway.

post #2 of 21

I have had a problem with mineral makeup in the past. Anything that has Bismuth Oxychloride or large grind micas just make my face freak out. Most of them make my pores look huge too. I have found a few that haven't. Everyday Minerals doesn't bother my skin at all. Most of the time I do prefer my liquid though.

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

Hmm...maybe I should try Everyday Minerals.

post #4 of 21

I use everyday minerals as well! I tried bare minerals again and I noticed tiny bumps all over, but Im not exactly sure if thats what caused it. I find its very natural and doesn't bother my skin (everyday minerals) but I need something with more coverage, and the naked fd seemed to ruin my skin and clog my pores so I dont know what to use to conceal >.<

post #5 of 21

I actually had the same exact reaction to Bare Minerals just yesterday, and I never had a problem with any other mineral makeup before. Had to toss it :(

post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 

I went onto the Everyday Minerals site and ordered some samples, so I'll probably get those pretty soon and I'll try it out and see what I think.

post #7 of 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnSingin View Post

I went onto the Everyday Minerals site and ordered some samples, so I'll probably get those pretty soon and I'll try it out and see what I think.

 

I just ordered a sample kit too along with some brushes since the reviews on makeupalley are mostly positive.

post #8 of 21

I haven't had very good luck with mineral makeup. Just seems to accentuate my pores. I've only tried Bare Escentuals though. I ordered a sample pack from Everyday Minerals though. Maybe that will be better.

post #9 of 21
I had been using Colorecience for last 10 years and really like it. I am not sure why it is not more popular, you'd think good product would find its way... but it is hard to get and I am ordering online... good I know my colors... I use california girl foundation and like the color, texture, coverage, how well it stays on and sun protection.
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriseCheeks View Post

I use everyday minerals as well! I tried bare minerals again and I noticed tiny bumps all over, but Im not exactly sure if thats what caused it. I find its very natural and doesn't bother my skin (everyday minerals) but I need something with more coverage, and the naked fd seemed to ruin my skin and clog my pores so I dont know what to use to conceal >.<

 

I just thought about it and have been looking it up all night and all today and I notice I still have tiny bumps all over... not as bad as bare minerals but I thought it was from my facewash.. now Im thinking it could be from EDM(everyday minerals)... I heard some have bad reactions to mica which is the first ingredient.. Im going to try some liquid fd's.. people here are saying Clinique is good for sensitive skin so Im going to get one on to try and see what happens... although I do know EDM works for a lot of people so it doesnt hurt to try it out :)

post #11 of 21

Bare minerals did the same thing to my face. I read somewhere that it contains a compound that is chemically similar to arsenic which can cause a reaction in sensitive skin.

 

EDIT: I found the info here:

 

Although this line does have its advantages for someone with sensitive skin, as it turns out, bismuth oxychloride, a major ingredient in the powder formulations, can cause skin irritation, while the other minerals can be drying (Source: www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Bismuth_oxychloride-9923103). Regarding bismuth oxychloride, it is interesting to note that bismuth (a metallic element) seldom occurs in nature. Instead, it is a by-product of copper and lead refining, or is manufactured synthetically. Chemically, it's similar to arsenic, a fact you won't see in any advertising for bareMinerals. However, just as cosmetic-grade mineral oil is not identical to the petroleum from which it originated, neither is bismuth oxychloride identical to bismuth. The bismuth oxychloride used in cosmetics is non-toxic, but this background offers a good example of how skewed a company's definition of "natural" can be.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/bare-escentuals-bare-minerals

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalylah View Post

I have had a problem with mineral makeup in the past. Anything that has Bismuth Oxychloride or large grind micas just make my face freak out. Most of them make my pores look huge too. I have found a few that haven't. Everyday Minerals doesn't bother my skin at all. Most of the time I do prefer my liquid though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOliveColored View Post

Bare minerals did the same thing to my face. I read somewhere that it contains a compound that is chemically similar to arsenic which can cause a reaction in sensitive skin.

 

EDIT: I found the info here:

 

Although this line does have its advantages for someone with sensitive skin, as it turns out, bismuth oxychloride, a major ingredient in the powder formulations, can cause skin irritation, while the other minerals can be drying (Source: www.sciencelab.com/xMSDS-Bismuth_oxychloride-9923103). Regarding bismuth oxychloride, it is interesting to note that bismuth (a metallic element) seldom occurs in nature. Instead, it is a by-product of copper and lead refining, or is manufactured synthetically. Chemically, it's similar to arsenic, a fact you won't see in any advertising for bareMinerals. However, just as cosmetic-grade mineral oil is not identical to the petroleum from which it originated, neither is bismuth oxychloride identical to bismuth. The bismuth oxychloride used in cosmetics is non-toxic, but this background offers a good example of how skewed a company's definition of "natural" can be.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/bare-escentuals-bare-minerals


Yup, as I said, and you stated with much more clarity, that stuff gives a lot of people reactions. Also, just because something doesn't irritate your skin doesn't mean it is not bad for it as well.

post #13 of 21

I loved mineral makeup foundation initially because of how it corrected the TONE of my skin.  However, it does a number on my skin texture.  Not only aggravating my skin to break out more, but also making my pores appear HUMONGOUS and highlighting every peak and valley in my skin surface, and making my skin appear so greasy looking after only an hour.  My phone was constantly dirty with fair mineral makeup crud, like my phone was rubbed with a fair-light concealer stick.

 

I began with BARE MINERALS in my early-mid 20's, and to be honest, I think the reason my skin texture got worse was because of their brushes, which are very prickly and impossible to get clean.  I remember an acne spout where my skin was impossibly (seemingly) diseased with acne, and it wasn't until I switched to a liquid foundation of a different brand and a synthetic brush (and Murad skincare at the time) that my skin went back to normal.

 

I still use mineral makeup on occasion as a finishing powder over a relatively good liquid foundation, but I will not do so if my makeup has to stay on my face for more than 5-6 hours.  

 

I've never liked mineral eyeshadow or blush.  Shadows always creased in no time and had little pigment and too much sparkle, and blushes got cakey and oxidized really  fast.

post #14 of 21

The thing with minerals, is that they are rocks and ores. And when you grind them into a fine powder, those individual particles have sharp edges to them and those sharp edges cut into the skin at the micoscopic level, hence your skin is reacting to it.

 

It's exactly the same theory behind Boric Acid. Yes it's a fine powder, but that fine powder cuts into the exoskeletal structure of insects (cockroaches, bed bugs, ants, earwigs, etc) and thus they die of dehydration (and stomach poisoning when they ingest it, as these types of social insects are excessive groomers).

 

Yes, companies add fillers and binders to them so that the number of microscopic edges to the minerals will be less so that it feels smooth, but the fillers and binders don't smooth out the edges of the minerals.

 

Example: fine beach sand (minerals in Mineral make-up). You add flour to it (filler). The result is that the beach sand may feel smoother, but the flour didn't make the edges of the sand particles smoother.

 

However, some people can react to the fillers or binders in a product as well, but not that many, as fillers are in all make-ups, not just mineral based make-ups.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by vogueboy View Post
However, some people can react to the fillers or binders in a product as well, but not that many, as fillers are in all make-ups, not just mineral based make-ups.

This is true as well because my skin still gets irritated with a number of very common brand liquid foundations as well. To this day no other foundation has ever caused a reaction like the Bare Minerals did on me though.

post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalylah View Post

This is true as well because my skin still gets irritated with a number of very common brand liquid foundations as well. To this day no other foundation has ever caused a reaction like the Bare Minerals did on me though.

Sometimes people are allergic to talc or bismuth in cosmetics. Alima pure's foundation has been fine for me. Red Apple Lipstick is probably going to release a foundation this next year sometime also there is the new Intuitive COLOR makeup. If you look there are much better options out there for mineral makeup smile.gif
post #17 of 21

A lot of liquid makeup will still have mica, zinc oxides, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides in it. A lot of it is mineral makeup but with liquids and oils added to make it liquid. My skin is super sensitive and breakout prone, so I personally prefer mineral makeup because I can get one that is just a few ingredients. I used to use Everyday Minerals, but my skin is dry and it dried it out more, which ironically made it produce more oils to try and compensate, so it looked oily. I then tried Meow Pampered formula, which I found amazing for sensitive skin, but it had very little coverage. I now use Lucy Minerals, they have a formula called Lucy Light, it doesn't have vitamins like the original formula(in case your skin is super sensitive). It is quite heavy coverage. I actually usually mix it with my Meow most of the time to get medium coverage.
 

post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxana124 View Post

A lot of liquid makeup will still have mica, zinc oxides, titanium dioxide, and iron oxides in it. A lot of it is mineral makeup but with liquids and oils added to make it liquid. My skin is super sensitive and breakout prone, so I personally prefer mineral makeup because I can get one that is just a few ingredients. I used to use Everyday Minerals, but my skin is dry and it dried it out more, which ironically made it produce more oils to try and compensate, so it looked oily. I then tried Meow Pampered formula, which I found amazing for sensitive skin, but it had very little coverage. I now use Lucy Minerals, they have a formula called Lucy Light, it doesn't have vitamins like the original formula(in case your skin is super sensitive). It is quite heavy coverage. I actually usually mix it with my Meow most of the time to get medium coverage.

 

Seriously look into Intuitive COLOR! It doesn't have any zinc, titanium oxide or any of that stuff! I'm really looking forward to trying it because i've had the same problem with mineral makeup. It just gets cakey with dry skin but this formula is said to be non-cakey
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Teague View Post


Seriously look into Intuitive COLOR! It doesn't have any zinc, titanium oxide or any of that stuff! I'm really looking forward to trying it because i've had the same problem with mineral makeup. It just gets cakey with dry skin but this formula is said to be non-cakey

Lucy Minerals is my HG so I am not looking to switch. I like that it has zinc and titanium dioxide because they provide sun protection and I avoid chemical sunscreens, so these are no only sunscreen options. But they do not irritate or dry my skin, so it works well :)

post #20 of 21

I used to use BE but wasn't totally happy w/it.  Discovered Laura Geller Balance n' Brighten when Sephora still carried her line.  Am so happy w/it:  fantastic coverage, no shine, stays on ALL day till I take it off.  Beauty.com, Ulta and QVC carry it as well as a few other sites but these have the best selection.  Only downer is it's a bit pricey but it does last a looong time.

post #21 of 21

I used to wear mineral make up only. I have used BE, MicaBella and Merle Norman (and some drugstore brands). Merle Norman is a nice one and you can go to the studio, get a makeover to try before you decide to buy. To help with the pores and wrinkles, I like to use a primer before applying the make up. Also use a small amount of the mineral powder. If you think you need more,apply another light amount.After I apply my blush, I use a 3rd brush and brush (buff) all over my face to blend and make it all look natural. I do agree that there is some pretty bad mineral make up out there. It can give it all a bad name.

 

I am not using mineral make up now. I use a wonderful moisturizer without any weird chemicals and after my skin soaks that in I put on my BB cream. I don't need blush because I naturally have a good color in my cheeks. I'll go back to it though, eventually.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mineral Makeup Talk
MakeupTalk.com › Makeup and Beauty Forums › Makeup & Cosmetics › Mineral Makeup Talk › Am I the only one who HATES mineral makeup?