So the very first time I have ever bought face primer was just this past week from Sephora. I was excited and loved the container it came in. However after I cleaned my face and applied my lotion (oil of olay) I waited about 20 minutes or so then came back to do my face. I put a light covering of the Illuminating face primer on and within 30 seconds my face turned completely red and it was burning. I washed it off as fast as I could and it left me with large red patches on my face that felt like it was eating my skin.. This morning when I got up those patches of skin were still red and felt hard. I have never had an issue with makeup products like this reaction. I even use an eyelid primer with no problems.I am obviously returning it so that's not an issue. I was just wondering if others have experienced this? I think I am just going to buy a good face powder and stay away from primers. Any suggestions on a good HD powder that is sheer coverage? I'm facing those fine lines around my eyes and don't want to look like my makeup is caked on.
Related Forum Threads
- Bronzy FOTD Last post on Today at 11:12 am in FOTD - Face of the Day
- Make up of the Day - dusty rose look Last post on 4/6/14 at 10:49am in FOTD - Face of the Day
- Teal Mermaid FOTD Last post on 3/30/14 at 8:59pm in FOTD - Face of the Day
- Baby Pink Makeup Look Last post on 4/6/14 at 6:54pm in FOTD - Face of the Day
- FOTD Feb. 2- Valentines looks <3 Last post on 2/2/14 at 9:51pm in FOTD - Face of the Day
The Debate: Foundation or Concealer First?
Last edited: 12/2/13
- Christmas Shopping For Your Female SpouseLast edited: 12/1/13
- Best Holiday Sets for LipsLast edited: 10/31/13
- Best Holiday Sets for EyesLast edited: 10/30/13
- Best Holiday Sets For NailsLast edited: 10/30/13
This is my all time favorite eyeshadow palette. I love all of Kat Von D's eyeshadows, but these are extra spectacular!Gorgeous colors!!!The 3 base shadows make it possible to make a never-ending...
This is by far my favorite subscription box. No other subscription I've tried compares as far as what comes inside the box itself. Some months are better than others, but I have found my...
I've been an Ipsy subscriber for about 7 months, and I'm going to drop my subscription. For me, there were two major downsides to the service: 1. Ipsy's focus is very much on the 'glam'. In...
I received this in a PopSugar box. I may be one of the few people NOT complaining about receiving it. I never would have tried this if it hadn't come in a sub box, but I am happy to have it. I'm...
I really do think L'Oreal has the best mascara products. I'm loving the new Butterfly Mascara. The wand shape is unique and works well to get those hard to reach end lashes. I'm not able to create...
Illuminating face primer burnt my face bad.. any one else have this happen?post #1 of 912/6/12 at 3:29pmThread Starter
MakeupTalk.com Top Pickspost #2 of 912/7/12 at 4:59ampost #3 of 912/7/12 at 5:48amYou just had an allergic reaction to this particular product / ingredient(s), I've seen this sort of thing before with different kinds / types of make-ups in the field. Just use a different brand of primer. Just be sure to read the ingredients and compare them to one that caused the reaction.
You did the correct thing by washing it off... Hopefully with just water. Any type of cleanser would've made it worse.
Remember, not all make-ups are created equal!post #4 of 912/7/12 at 8:35amThread Starter
Vogueboy, yes indeed I immediately washed it off with lukewarm water and woke up this yesterday morning and this morning to dry scaly patches above my brow line and just into the top eye area and my nose. I'm afraid it's going to take a few days for my skin to recover. Turboweevel it was the Sephora+Pantone Universe Illuminating Face Primer. I may just not be able to wear a face primer with my makeup routine. I know that I have been dealing with dry skin, most likely from getting older, so maybe that is what caused this reaction? I've been trying very hard to get that flawless complexion that other women have and so far not getting that. Sephora has a great return service so I'll just keep checking the site for other items I may be able to use. And also I will continue to check reviews on other face primers posted here on MUT. Thank you both for your help.post #5 of 912/7/12 at 9:52am
I am so sorry to hear this. I have super sensitive skin and have been through the burning before. I have found almost all "illuminating" or "brightening" products cause reactions in me. Surprisingly I can use ELF's mineral face primer without any problems.
To avoid the soreness in the future though you might want to adopt my testing ritual. Whenever I get a new product I test it on the soft part under my forearm. If it passes that test then I test it on the top corner of my neck right under my ear where no one can see. Generally if it passes those two tests I am good to go. The reason for double testing is that if you have an severe reaction it will only be on your arm. However I found that wasn't enough with all products. Sometimes I had a mild allergy on my facial skin only so the neck test ruled that out.
Hope you heal up quickly.post #6 of 912/7/12 at 1:37pmI agree with Dalylah with the patch testing.
Yes our skins change over time, however it's highly unlikely your dry skin triggered this reaction. What you described is what a chemical burn feels like (and I've had my fair share of them). So regardless of your skin type, it's going to react.post #7 of 912/7/12 at 1:47pm
I had that happen with Channel face cream but I was fine at first and did not notice until I woke up the next morning. I had flaky patches for months. I was told it was probably from the fragrance in the Channel cream, they are highly scented, its the most common type of reaction for them. I have just avoided facial items with fragrance since and nothing else has caused a reaction.post #8 of 912/7/12 at 4:01pmThread Starter
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I'm going to avoid that kind of stuff for awhile and just stick to the makeup items I know won't burn my face. Right now I'm not going to be wearing anything for a few more days, till my skin gets better. In the future I will always do the patch test just to make sure nothing like this ever happens again. Thanks for the great advice.post #9 of 912/7/12 at 7:29pm
Yesterday I ordered some samples from The All Natural Face and checked the little box that says "email me about specials". Today they sent me a $5.00-off-any-order-of-at-least-that-much coupon. I recently changed from foundation to a Korean BB cream and am now ordering mineral makeup to try to help heal my skin (rosacea) and wanted a primer that wouldn't defeat the purpose. TANF has a primer that's supposed to be really good for your skin and counter dryness. It's $11.50 + $1.50 shipping, so I used my coupon for that. Something like this may work for you - the ingredients are very different from most primers.
(And if you order, be sure to check that box! They may send you a coupon, too!)
- Illuminating face primer burnt my face bad.. any one else have this happen?
MakeupTalk.com Top Picks
- Christmas Shopping For Your Female Spouse
- › L'Oreal Test Panel - Who's Getting What, and How Is It?! 3 minutes ago
- › Birchbox Swaps April 2014 5 minutes ago
- › Sephora: codes, deals, sales, and discussion 5 minutes ago
- › Ipsy Glam Bag: April 2014 (Discussion/Spoilers) [merged] 5 minutes ago
- › Birchbox April 2014 - SPOILERS 5 minutes ago
- › Enablers...and anyone who wants to share their shopping deals! 6 minutes ago
- › Golden Tote 6 minutes ago
- › Birchbox Points: What did or will you buy? 8 minutes ago
- › April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration 10 minutes ago
- › Memebox: Korean Beauty Box Service 17 minutes ago
- › Kat Von D Monarch Eyeshadow Palette by AmberDuff
- › Glossbox USA by Elizabeth Mac
- › Ipsy... beauty by you by Lyllis
- › Dial Moisturizing Vitamin Boost Amazing B Body Wash - 16 Oz by BrierReviewer
- › L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara, Blackest Black,... by BrierReviewer
- › Murad Active Radiance Serum 0.5 oz-Brand New, No Box by BrierReviewer
- › Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal 7 oz... by BrierReviewer
- › Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder Luminous Light 0.35 oz by princess2010
- › Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Mousse Taupe by Krystan
- › Hard Candy Lash Ink 4 Day Lash Stain by Director
- › Disadvantage analysis of different types of... by Auber Vincent
- › Protect Your "Second Face" by Auber Vincent
- › Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette || Day to Night by ItsTheWifeLife
- › Makeup No-NO by Coyieworld
- › Discussion: Makeup Pet Peeves by Airi Magdalene
- › Beauty Quackery Throughout History by Airi Magdalene
- › Myths About Beauty And The Science to Dispel... by Airi Magdalene
- › How To Handle Days Where Makeup Just... by Airi Magdalene
- › Makeup That Will Survive A Concert by Airi Magdalene
- › What's The Deal With Cheek Palettes? by Airi Magdalene