or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox January 2013

Birchbox January 2013 - Page 56

post #1651 of 2106

I know people are saying the Put a Lid on It is really small (.125 oz) but as a comparision I've had the .13 oz UDPP that came in my Smoked palette since August and it has about 30% left still.

post #1652 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicalmom View Post

it's like choosing between 2 children.  I love them both for different reasons!

 

yes! this! 

post #1653 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsighting View Post

I know people are saying the Put a Lid on It is really small (.125 oz) but as a comparision I've had the .13 oz UDPP that came in my Smoked palette since August and it has about 30% left still.

 

This ^

 

Just like eye cream samples, it may look small but there are a LOT of uses in it :)

post #1654 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMeow View Post

I thought that too, when I saw the photo.  However - that looks like Box 1, and I would have been happy to get that box, too.  Just because the sample sizes are bigger, doesn't mean it's worth it.  If someone doesn't use hair spray or use scented lotion, how is Ipsy that much better?  I think people get too hung up on the size of the products.

 

But overall, the sense of entitlement is disgusting on the page.  I actually really like BB's responses of thanks for the feedback, maybe check us out again sometime.  I saw someone comment about how they should send a free box to "win" people back.  Get off your high horse, people.

 

I got box 1 too. I'm pretty darn happy with it. I'll get about 5 uses from each of the Fresh packets, it is SUPER high quality so it doesn't take much. Also, how much eye shadow primer do people use? I think a lot of people forget about the point of Birchbox. It's to try new products, and then purchase them, not supply full size items. 

 

I'm not an Ipsy subscriber because I'm not impressed with their brands. I'd rather get smaller samples of products I'd like to buy than get a full size of something I wouldn't care to buy.

post #1655 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post

Ooh - is that box 5, with the mousse? That's the one I had on my page, but something went awry and now I'll be getting a different box that doesn't ship until the 21st.

Fingers crossed I still might get

Yes, I really liked it and the mousse seems like a good travel size 1 oz. smile.gif

post #1656 of 2106

My box finally arrived today, and the Ojon oil was frozen! It's thawed out now but I just thought it was hilarious and had to share hehe.gif

post #1657 of 2106

Wow looks like people have been getting some good beauty vittles this month!  After breaking up with Birchbox in October (dang Goop did it!) I have been trying to stay away (darn points though).  I even did a Birchbox analysis (from my previous subsciption) and ended up signing up again!  lol  Looks like I will get a January box although it won't ship till 1/27/13 per website!  I'm excited (and ashamed of my horrible beauty box sub addiction)!

post #1658 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis76 View Post

My box finally arrived today, and the Ojon oil was frozen! It's thawed out now but I just thought it was hilarious and had to share hehe.gif


That's awesome.  The past couple months I've wondered if anything would be frozen in my BB or Ipsy, but so far nothing has been, knock on wood.

post #1659 of 2106

Don't forget the points we get with each BB review....that adds to the value. Myglam doesn't have that.

Canceling either/or wasn't a struggle for me, Myglam got the ax. I will always be a BB subscriber, and I can't say that for any other sub out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

I'm not gonna lie but there is some truth to this post I saw on BB's facebook page. BB's samples do look tiny compared to Ipsy's for the same amount of money.

 

 

post #1660 of 2106
so I got my box today. when I opened it I received a pleasant surprise. it was the box that was first posted on my page before it was switched to the other box. I like the box I received a lot better because that means I got my hot mama. on the other hand though it is still showing the other box and I want to be able to review my products for points. anyone else ever been in this situation?
post #1661 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

Don't forget the points we get with each BB review....that adds to the value. Myglam doesn't have that.

yup. that keeps me motivated to stay with bb. i have $30 worth between two accounts and I can't decide what to get yet.  If ipsy ever gets a store/point system, I'd be over there too.  My Shade of Brown is the only other beauty sub that I know of with a point system.

post #1662 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsighting View Post

I know people are saying the Put a Lid on It is really small (.125 oz) but as a comparision I've had the .13 oz UDPP that came in my Smoked palette since August and it has about 30% left still.

OMG I find the Put a Lid on it a huge sample! I got two between my two boxes, and It will last me a loooong time!

post #1663 of 2106

But people say they're going to ipsy like it's not possible to sub to both at once... or like they're ~obligated~ to subscribe to a makeup sampling service at all. It's almost kind of strange?

 

People talk about it like getting a phone. There's no reason to have two cellphones (iPhone vs. android) but there's no reason you can't have both ipsy and BB. O.o

post #1664 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

But people say they're going to ipsy like it's not possible to sub to both at once... or like they're ~obligated~ to subscribe to a makeup sampling service at all. It's almost kind of strange?

Oh my gosh I'm switching to ipsy because I only have TEN DOLLARS to spend for the entire month and I want to blow it on a grab bag of products I may or may not enjoy and will complain about either way. ;)

post #1665 of 2106

I was with Ipsy back before when it was called myglam. The actual cosmetic bags were really cheap and smelled horrible. While the products were bigger, they were things I could easily buy at a drug store or had used as a teenager. I cancelled with myglam when I signed up with Birchbox, and I don't regret it for a second, especially with the points Birchbox gives you. I just got my 9 month anniversary coupon for my first account today, and have 1000 points in that account. I am very tempted to use them up, since I heard the 9 month 20% off coupon is the last regularly scheduled discount Birchbox gives. I am really tempted to just go beyond my comfort zone (read: minimal/classic) and try some really fun products I wouldn't normally buy. Any suggestions? I did just get the Skinny Chic for free with the points from my third account based on how many people here said it smelled amazing. :)

post #1666 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

I'm not gonna lie but there is some truth to this post I saw on BB's facebook page. BB's samples do look tiny compared to Ipsy's for the same amount of money.



Yea but then everyone finds most of the same things deeply discounted at Marshalls. I can dig for my own deals, personally. That's one of the reasons I've kept BB over Ipsy.
post #1667 of 2106
Hello guys I'm new to posting but I've been on this thread for a while now. I found out about the balm jovi special from this thread and received it today but one of the shadow broke and got all over the palette. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else?
post #1668 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by litomzzcarla View Post

Hello guys I'm new to posting but I've been on this thread for a while now. I found out about the balm jovi special from this thread and received it today but one of the shadow broke and got all over the palette. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Send Birchbox an email with a picture. They will replace it.

post #1669 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackieblue View Post

My box came today. Honestly, the perfume alone made my month, and I am also looking forward to trying the shampoo (which is unusual for me). The rest is either already up for trade or I am on the fence. Still, a good box in my opinion. :)

 

How is the Juliette perfume? I have been hoping to receive this in my box for months.

post #1670 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermary View Post

I was with Ipsy back before when it was called myglam. The actual cosmetic bags were really cheap and smelled horrible. While the products were bigger, they were things I could easily buy at a drug store or had used as a teenager. I cancelled with myglam when I signed up with Birchbox, and I don't regret it for a second, especially with the points Birchbox gives you. I just got my 9 month anniversary coupon for my first account today, and have 1000 points in that account. I am very tempted to use them up, since I heard the 9 month 20% off coupon is the last regularly scheduled discount Birchbox gives. I am really tempted to just go beyond my comfort zone (read: minimal/classic) and try some really fun products I wouldn't normally buy. Any suggestions? I did just get the Skinny Chic for free with the points from my third account based on how many people here said it smelled amazing. smile.gif

I recently got the Avene body oil and it is super moisturizing. I also treated myself to the Nuxe lip balm with points and I really liked it.
post #1671 of 2106
Out of curiosity, I visited the BB fb page. There were a lot of complaints and people saying they would cancel/switch to a competitor. I remember about six months ago subscribers were leaving Ipsy en masse and they improved service dramatically. At that time BB was the best sub. BBs have dropped off a little over the past few months but I still am happy with spending $10 for it. The main problems with BB is there are too many box variations with highly coveted boxes and less desirable boxes. If they actually used the profile the variations could be a positive for them. Also repeats, in nine months I've received 3 Viva La Juicys.

I think BB has improved by not sending food. I think their service will further improve as a result of the complaints. I liked theBalm primer it's a brand new product and I think it's a decent size. I got a travel sized bottle of shampoo which is always nice, I don't even mind not getting the corresponding conditioner bc I have so many diff treatments, shampoos, and conditioners. The only thing I didn't like was the Juicy perfume.
post #1672 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

OMG I find the Put a Lid on it a huge sample! I got two between my two boxes, and It will last me a loooong time!

A lot of people were saying it was tiny! It would be small for something meant to be used over your entire face, but primer takes so little!

post #1673 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwynn View Post

I also rarely like the perfume samples I try - whether from BB/sample boxes or at the counter/store.  Often, it seems like the alcohol is the strongest scent to me, so the lighter/sweeter the better.

Now I really want to try the skinny chic, though - it sounds right up my alley.  

 

Tried via BB:

  • kate spade twirl - no
  • harvey prince yogini - no
  • annick goutal eau d'hadrien - no
  • atelier orange sanguine - no (and I usually like citrusy)
  • bvlgari omnia crystalline - no
  • john varvatos artisan - ok, I'm not picky on men's unless it's obnoxious, and most of the time it's the amount worn that causes that
  • john varvatos star usa - meh, ok
  • oscar de la renta live in love - NO
  • juicy la fleur - no
  • mcmc phoenix - like a little, rarely use
  • juicy couture - no
  • taylor swift wonderstruck - no
  • harvey prince ageless - LIKE A LOT
  • harvey prince flirt - no 
  • viva la juicy - no

 

Now the One Love Organics aromatic body serum (lavender and chamomile), I LOVE and will use until bone dry, but technically I guess that's not a perfume.  That's just how I use it.

Another one I've tried at the counter that I like a lot is the Donna Karan Cashmere Mist. Philosophy's Falling in Love is one of my very favorites, but I don't care for most of the grace line.

 

I have a bottle of Cashmere Mist that I was given and I just can't use it.  I WANT to like it...boohoo on me I guess.  :(  I have so many perfumes.  I think I might have an addiction.  lol

post #1674 of 2106

I find it weird that *it seems* like if something from a BB box is found at a local store, it's all 'omg how could they send us that cheap crap!'. But if something Myglam sends out is found at a local store *the nailtini polish and pacifica body butter from this month* nothing bad *that I have seen* is said about it. Maybe myglam is expected to send out more lower end items than BB. *shrugs*

post #1675 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackieblue View Post

My box came today. Honestly, the perfume alone made my month, and I am also looking forward to trying the shampoo (which is unusual for me). The rest is either already up for trade or I am on the fence. Still, a good box in my opinion. smile.gif

How is the Juliette perfume? I have been hoping to receive this in my box for months.

The closest fragrance it resembles is Not A Perfume but with more layers and depth. The main thing I smell is that same ingredient but it smells a bit different with the other ingredients added. I like it and will use it, but I do prefer some other perfumes from that line. Sorry I am not great at describing the scent; it's almost like trying to explain a song you can't hear from where you are.

Like all of the fragrances from that line it changes after you've worn it a bit. You really have to "try them on." Smelling the vial will not do. I wonder if they added Mad Madame to their vial sampler? Might be worth checking into for those who really wanted it.
post #1676 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love View Post

 

I have a bottle of Cashmere Mist that I was given and I just can't use it.  I WANT to like it...boohoo on me I guess.  :(  I have so many perfumes.  I think I might have an addiction.  lol

I can totally see how it would not appeal to a lot of ppl. I get a baby-powderish smell from it.

I probably love it right now because I'm internally waffling about our decision to be done having babies.

post #1677 of 2106

I hate when people use the line "If I wanted this product I would just go and buy it" to complain about items received from any sub. Um...you have the option of buying any product. While I wouldn't want to start getting all cheap walmart items or something, I don't care if I get a sample here and there that is available at a drugstore or shop near me.

 

As far as BB vs Ipsy goes, as others have said, I like them both for different reasons, and I think they compliment each other well. With BB, I try out things that are out of my price range (therefore making them super exciting to try), or I find the items that will be my next splurge, or I find good high end items that are actually a bargain.

 

With Ipsy, I try out things that are definitely more attainable, but I have still found most everything they've sent out to be high quality, and I discover things that I could realistically repurchase.

 

Birchbox puts more focus on skincare and haircare, while Ipsy puts more on makeup items.Good combo, IMO.

 

Since I am a girl with a limited budget, I like the balance of high and lower end products, since I personally can't afford to buy and use only high end products...my beauty stash is a mix of high end, drugstore, and bargain brands and probably always will be!

post #1678 of 2106

So, I'm thinking of going back to Birchbox (mainly for the points). What do you guys think? Should I?

post #1679 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyC2153 View Post

I've never had good CS from them, but I would love to experience it! I'd love to contact a cs rep directly. Is there a specific email you can give me? Based on reports from here, there is a lot of inconsistency between reps, and I can only hope that their expansion includes adding more reps and training them properly. I disagree though, I don't think they handle their CS better at all. At least not from what I've experienced. 

I have two thoughts on this, 1. I only contact paulina when I have a legitimate problem, like when I switched from a year gift sub to a yearly and it got messed up, or when products are missing. I always know that there is a right answer to my question before I ask it, a lot of girls bitch about emailing about getting foil samples, and displeasure in the samples, they owe you no compensation for that, you are buying into the service, and it's a gamble, I think generally payees complainers get the "canned response" and it serves them right, they are generally sending canned emails themselves.
2. I have had awful glossybox cs, they miss sent two boxes in a row, lost a third, and just generally sucked, I was emailing with a rep who I later came to find out was fired, and my ticket somehow was lost, and finally by December, they sent my October and December boxes after weeks of emailing, that's awful cs, giving you and answer you don't like it NOT bad CS, youre just s.o.l
post #1680 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathie View Post

I just love your comments !

 

Thanks! :D

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birchbox Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox January 2013