or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox January 2013

Birchbox January 2013 - Page 9

post #241 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonittude View Post

I'm all for lying to corporations online that ask my income level. Let me explain. When I go to a store, I always get better service if I look like I have, or might potentially have money. Why do they even want to know? They're a corporation, why do you think? On BB I have my income level set to the next to highest, because I thought that was more believable. I love getting samples of expensive products. Sometimes I splurge, when I've had the chance to try something and knew it would be worth it.
 

 

I found this to be VERY true today at Macy's!  Usually I'm dressed and presentable...but today we were bumming around but I needed to get into the mall for something, so I got my new iPhone case (lol) and stopped in Macy's to see if there was anything I wanted to use my $500 GC I got for Christmas from my hubs.  Now...USUALLY I get pretty great service in Macy's.  Not as super as Neiman's or Nordies, but quality service...at least a greeting.  But today, while wearing some grubby capri pants, grubby teeshirt and my Chucks, none of them even tried to help me.  Not one single bored Coach counter clerk or chick at the makeup counters (they weren't busy at all today, most were just standing around chewing their tongue) even looked my way.  So...huh...okay, Macy's.  I WAS looking to buy some stuff, but now I'll just use up my GC and just won't be back if that's how you're gonna be!  

 

I'm highest on BB, but that's what our incomes are (we live in the San Francisco bay area...so that's like middle income here, sad but true) so that's what I've always put on there.  I've gotten some REALLY STINKER boxes...so who knows what they really use!  I signed up for a year and I'm so hoping they don't crap out on me!  LOL

post #242 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love View Post

 

I found this to be VERY true today at Macy's!  Usually I'm dressed and presentable...but today we were bumming around but I needed to get into the mall for something, so I got my new iPhone case (lol) and stopped in Macy's to see if there was anything I wanted to use my $500 GC I got for Christmas from my hubs.  Now...USUALLY I get pretty great service in Macy's.  Not as super as Neiman's or Nordies, but quality service...at least a greeting.  But today, while wearing some grubby capri pants, grubby teeshirt and my Chucks, none of them even tried to help me.  Not one single bored Coach counter clerk or chick at the makeup counters (they weren't busy at all today, most were just standing around chewing their tongue) even looked my way.  So...huh...okay, Macy's.  I WAS looking to buy some stuff, but now I'll just use up my GC and just won't be back if that's how you're gonna be!  

 

I'm highest on BB, but that's what our incomes are (we live in the San Francisco bay area...so that's like middle income here, sad but true) so that's what I've always put on there.  I've gotten some REALLY STINKER boxes...so who knows what they really use!  I signed up for a year and I'm so hoping they don't crap out on me!  LOL

That kinda crap bugs me to no end.

post #243 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post

That kinda crap bugs me to no end.

agreed. i can't help but think about julia roberts in pretty woman and how those snobby sales ladies treated her smh

post #244 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

agreed. i can't help but think about julia roberts in pretty woman and how those snobby sales ladies treated her smh

BIG mistake..big. HUGE!

 

post #245 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

BIG mistake..big. HUGE!

 

Word! I loved it when she came back to the store after her makeover and rubbed it in their faces, haha

post #246 of 2106

Im really hoping for some benefit products this month. It is becoming my new favirote brand.

post #247 of 2106
I am almost always uncomfortable around makeup counters. Eek!
post #248 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJazz View Post

That kinda crap bugs me to no end.

 

Me too!  I'm a pretty good spender, too!  They must just not want my money then.  Hmph.  Their loss!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quene8106 View Post

agreed. i can't help but think about julia roberts in pretty woman and how those snobby sales ladies treated her smh

 

OMG I had completely forgotten about that!  It was almost totally like that only they didn't even greet me rudely!  LOL

post #249 of 2106

Hi!  I think Stila Kitten is a very similar color...might be a bit more shimmery, but close shade match.  There's a shadow version as well as a smudge pot (cream).  Both faves of mine!   
 

post #250 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P View Post

I am almost always uncomfortable around makeup counters. Eek!

 

Haha!  Me too!  And it isn't like I'm not well-versed in makeup and skincare.  I just feel like a doodoobird.  lick.gif

post #251 of 2106

Meant to include link to the Stila eyeshadow on Birchbox: http://www.birchbox.com/shop/stila-eyeshadows

 

icon_biggrin.gif
 

post #252 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby384 View Post

BIG mistake..big. HUGE!



 

LMAO!!
post #253 of 2106

I didn't think about Kitten! I have that too... somewhere....

post #254 of 2106

My mom had a really bizarro experience shopping for jewelry that's similar but kind of reversed.  Back story:  Some time in the early '70s, my dad started working as a timber cutter, and Mom confiscated his wedding band and put it in a cupboard because she was terrified he would rip his finger off at work (putting aside the phenomenally high mortality rate of timber cutters, if you know my family, you would know that the idea of him catching his wedding band on something and having his finger ripped off is not an irrational fear but rather a pretty safe assumption.  We are an accident-prone people).  Then we moved, but she forget about the ring, so Dad had no wedding band for over two decades.  

 

Flash forward twenty-some years.  She had A Thing for diamonds, and her favorite ring had an oval diamond worth around $25k.  She finally decided it was time to get Dad a replacement wedding band because, hey, twenty-fifth wedding anniversary.  Might as well.  Since she had The Rock, she decided *he* should have a nice wedding band even though she still had the same band she got when they got married at the tender ages of 19 and 21 as the daughter of a carpenter and the son of a timber cutter (read:  not ultra high-end).  So she went to the nice (well, as nice as the Portland-Vancouver area gets) jewelry stores she was used to shopping at for her own jewelry.  This time around, she was willing to drop several thousand dollars on it because it was their 25th anniversary, and she had The Rock, so he deserved something really nice. 

 

Anyway.  She looked for several months, but she had a hard time finding one she thought was right for Dad because they were all too thin or too fancy (price didn't matter, but this is *not* a man who would *ever* wear anything engraved on the outside or that had any sort of gemstones), but she *finally* found the *perfect* band in the case of some snooty jewelry store, so she asked to see it.  The sales slime's response, in a tone so dripping with condescension that I can *still* feel it fifteen years later:  "That's not one of our more popular models.  The only people who are interested in that are loggers and carpenters."  Mom's response, while flashing her $25k ring and walking out the door:  "My husband happens to be a logger."

 

Dad ended up with a replacement wedding band from Costco.  It was $50.  He was *thrilled* with it.  I think he bought a laptop with the leftover money.  

post #255 of 2106

I think I own all the Kitten products...the only one that isn't true to shade, in my opinion, is the glitter liner.  I love it, but it's more coppery than pinky/champagne like the rest of the Kitten shades.

 

I think Stila should do a Kitten extravanganza like Urban Decay has done with the Naked line...which, by the way, I am SUPER excited about because The Naked Beauty Balm comes out tomorrow! 

 

I don't know if I can sway permanently from Dr. Jart or Missha BB's, but I'm willing to give UD a shot...
 

post #256 of 2106

3.gif Snooty snots get my rage going!  I just want to tell them off and let them know what kind of person they truly are. GRRRRR.  soap.gif:

  

 

I just don't get people!  I work with them everyday.  What makes them think it is okay to treat another person in such a fashion.  I've heard things such as, "No dad, go ahead abuse the nurses, they deserve it anyway," to "Your ring isn't big enough *a patient's family member remarking on my engagement ring*"    Luckily, I have enough wits to have a gentle come back.  But still - treated another person as scum or trying to be all "I have much more money than you," really burns me.  **stepping of soap box**

 

Meganola - I love your parent's story.Your mom rocks - I would be tempted to be extremely bitchy back to the sales person.

post #257 of 2106

Stila's Kitten is indeed close to TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. It's also close to one of the colors in the Saucebox Creme de la Creme palette.

 

 

700

 

Top: cream color from Saucebox Cosmetics' Creme de la Creme palette

Middle: theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer

Bottom: Stila's Kitten

post #258 of 2106

To me, it looks like the Mary-Lou is more golden where as the other two are silvery

post #259 of 2106

It's close but still not a good dupe. To me Mary-Lou has more of a yellow undertone to it so it comes off as golden. I'll continue to check tomorrow because I want to double check some of my WnW items.

post #260 of 2106

What is this Saucebox you speak of?  Not familiar with that brand!  And what does WnW stand for?  icon_question.gif
 

post #261 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Stila's Kitten is indeed close to TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. It's also close to one of the colors in the Saucebox Creme de la Creme palette.

 

 

 

 

Top: cream color from Saucebox Cosmetics' Creme de la Creme palette

Middle: theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer

Bottom: Stila's Kitten

 

Thank you for those swatches. And thank you for adding the apostrophe "s." Saying "Stila Kitten" bugs the crap out of me because it sounds like "steal a kitten." I have no idea why the hell that bugs me so much. Every time a Youtube guru does it I silently rage. It's like when someone mispronounces "chipotle," or says "St. Patty's" day (it's "St. PADDY'S" day, people!). 

 

That was an odd tangent. On a somewhat related to Birchbox note, I got the Atelier Orange Sanguine perfume/cologne sample with my Sephora order today (I chose that one because I tend to like more fresh and fruity scents), and it smells just as awful as the Rose Anonyme perfume/cologne that Birchbox sent out last month. The dry down is very similar to what your hands smell like after you've done a sink of dishes. The other thing is that it doesn't last very long. Not sure if anyone was considering buying the Atelier fragrance(s), but I figured I'd throw in that tidbit.

post #262 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMaas View Post

What is this Saucebox you speak of?  Not familiar with that brand!  And what does WnW stand for?  icon_question.gif
 

 

Wet n Wild cosmetics.

post #263 of 2106
post #264 of 2106

Thanks, queenofperil.  Isn't it Wet 'n Wild?  Just kidding. 
 

post #265 of 2106
I'm ready for a spoiler video...
post #266 of 2106

On the topic of snooty makeup counters, I always feel like the girls (and boy) at the MAC counter in my Macy's turn themselves off the second they realize I have back to MAC to turn in.  Yes, I want my free lippie, but shouldn't the fact that I have 6 empty containers on hand indicate that I um...spend money on makeup?

 

I know someone who used to have an executive position for a department store group, and I know he's chewed out a few store managers for not disciplining the makeup counter staff.  That said, the Sephora in my JCP has some of the nicest e,ployees around, not trying to overgeneralize.  It seems to be a shared sentiment though.

post #267 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofperil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Stila's Kitten is indeed close to TheBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. It's also close to one of the colors in the Saucebox Creme de la Creme palette.




Top: cream color from Saucebox Cosmetics' Creme de la Creme palette
Middle: theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer
Bottom: Stila's Kitten

Thank you for those swatches. And thank you for adding the apostrophe "s." Saying "Stila Kitten" bugs the crap out of me because it sounds like "steal a kitten." I have no idea why the hell that bugs me so much. Every time a Youtube guru does it I silently rage. It's like when someone mispronounces "chipotle," or says "St. Patty's" day (it's "St. PADDY'S" day, people!). 

That was an odd tangent. On a somewhat related to Birchbox note, I got the Atelier Orange Sanguine perfume/cologne sample with my Sephora order today (I chose that one because I tend to like more fresh and fruity scents), and it smells just as awful as the Rose Anonyme perfume/cologne that Birchbox sent out last month. The dry down is very similar to what your hands smell like after you've done a sink of dishes. The other thing is that it doesn't last very long. Not sure if anyone was considering buying the Atelier fragrance(s), but I figured I'd throw in that tidbit.

Atelier seems to have problems with their samples not smelling right. I own Orange Sanguine in the 30 ml size. It smells like orange oil, and the drydown is heavy on bergamot but the orange is still there. I would say go to a perfume counter and get a spritz from a tester bottle because Atelier does not seam to put the 15% concentration of fragrance in their samples. Orange Sanguine lasts longer on me than any other perfume and I'm a habitual re-sprayer if I can't smell my perfume anymore.
post #268 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie P View Post

I am almost always uncomfortable around makeup counters. Eek!

Haha!  Me too!  And it isn't like I'm not well-versed in makeup and skincare.  I just feel like a doodoobird.  lick.gif

I have decided the ladies who work at Sephora inside JC Penney are doodoobirds. I'm 34 and they treat me like I'm 12. Granted, I usually go in looking for eyeliner and I'm not wearing makeup at all and I may have been dressed like a bum. The ladies at Ulta are nice, though, although one did sell me the Benefit Triple Performing Face Emulsion by telling me she uses the one for dry skin (she was oily as heck that day) but the one she recommended for me was for oily skin. I think she knew an easy mark when she saw one. That was a very bad purchase. It makes me break out really bad. But I've had multiple bad experiences in Sephora in JCP and no actual bad experiences in Ulta except one lady was a little pushy about China Glaze vs OPI Just Spotted the Lizard.
post #269 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggpi View Post

On the topic of snooty makeup counters, I always feel like the girls (and boy) at the MAC counter in my Macy's turn themselves off the second they realize I have back to MAC to turn in.  Yes, I want my free lippie, but shouldn't the fact that I have 6 empty containers on hand indicate that I um...spend money on makeup?

I know someone who used to have an executive position for a department store group, and I know he's chewed out a few store managers for not disciplining the makeup counter staff.  That said, the Sephora in my JCP has some of the nicest e,ployees around, not trying to overgeneralize.  It seems to be a shared sentiment though.

I'm glad the employees in Sephora inside JCP somewhere are nice. It's obviously not the one in Council Bluffs. Here they are horrible.
post #270 of 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love View Post

 

Haha!  Me too!  And it isn't like I'm not well-versed in makeup and skincare.  I just feel like a doodoobird.  lick.gif

which macys did you go to? I hate going to macys around here! the employees are such pains! much prefer going to nordstroms! especially the stonestown one

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birchbox Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox January 2013