or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Subscription & Sampling Programs › Discussions › POPSUGAR Must Have February 2013 Box

POPSUGAR Must Have February 2013 Box

post #1 of 1122
Thread Starter 

Now that everyone knows what is in their January box, lets start dreaming of what will be in February's box! Fingers crossed for an exciting box!!!11.gif

post #2 of 1122

I don't know whats in the January box.  I've been trying to visit every other thread so I can remain spoiler free.  The anticipation is getting to the best of me.  For once I'm about 95% spoiler free.  I don't know whats in the box at all yet but just scrolling down the threads I read about something edible and possibly fitness related.  Thats all I know and I'm so proud of myself.

post #3 of 1122
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedMailbox View Post

I don't know whats in the January box.  I've been trying to visit every other thread so I can remain spoiler free.  The anticipation is getting to the best of me.  For once I'm about 95% spoiler free.  I don't know whats in the box at all yet but just scrolling down the threads I read about something edible and possibly fitness related.  Thats all I know and I'm so proud of myself.

You should be proud! I can NEVER remain spoiler free. But you've got the topics right with edible and fitness!
post #4 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuffedMailbox View Post

I don't know whats in the January box.  I've been trying to visit every other thread so I can remain spoiler free.  The anticipation is getting to the best of me.  For once I'm about 95% spoiler free.  I don't know whats in the box at all yet but just scrolling down the threads I read about something edible and possibly fitness related.  Thats all I know and I'm so proud of myself.

 

You have great willpower!  I had decided I was not going to peek this month and then I was scrolling and caught one spoiler and said "screw it" and looked at them all!  

post #5 of 1122

Well, looks like the waitlist option didn't work out for me so I'll be getting TWO February boxes! They better be good rolleyes.gif

post #6 of 1122

This will be a make it or break it month for me.  I didn't receive January's box, but it looks a little dull for my tastes, so I'm really glad I didn't.  December's box (which I received) was alright, but nothing like the boxes before that made me want to sign up immediately.  Here's to hoping it'll be an awesome box!

post #7 of 1122

My experience is that a lot of time when I see the spoilers I feel a little "meh" until I actually get the box - I've noticed the same is true for a lot of us. What I like best is the variation in products; it's cool to try a few food items, a lifestyle item, maybe some jewelry or beauty or home decor, etc. It's kind of like a mini shopping spree in a box lol. I've been introduced to some really cool brands/products via this sub - those GoVino glasses have been a hit, I use the baggu bag a ton, and the Minimergency kit was awesome for holiday travels. Heck, even the Kind bars in the flop of a July bag/box were great to try as I now buy them weekly lol. Sometimes it takes a bit to "warm up" to each box's entire contents, but it turns out (at least for me) that I end up liking boxes/items that I wasn't too excited about at first. I do agree that sometimes this sub can be lacking in terms of initial "wow" factor, though.

post #8 of 1122
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post

My experience is that a lot of time when I see the spoilers I feel a little "meh" until I actually get the box - I've noticed the same is true for a lot of us. What I like best is the variation in products; it's cool to try a few food items, a lifestyle item, maybe some jewelry or beauty or home decor, etc. It's kind of like a mini shopping spree in a box lol. I've been introduced to some really cool brands/products via this sub - those GoVino glasses have been a hit, I use the baggu bag a ton, and the Minimergency kit was awesome for holiday travels. Heck, even the Kind bars in the flop of a July bag/box were great to try as I now buy them weekly lol. Sometimes it takes a bit to "warm up" to each box's entire contents, but it turns out (at least for me) that I end up liking boxes/items that I wasn't too excited about at first. I do agree that sometimes this sub can be lacking in terms of initial "wow" factor, though.

I agree!!! Decembers box was just meh to me until I got it! I've used everything in it and love all the products. I like everything about this box except for the exercise ball (because I already have one) but I realize that you can't please everyone and chances are someone has one of these watches and had those mugs, or that bracelet, or whatever the item. I love this sub.
post #9 of 1122

edited ... posted in wrong thread ... OOPS!

post #10 of 1122

Hoping to see less of a focus on edible items this month, regardless of whether they are healthy or not.  Well... I wouldn't turn my nose up at some Godiva.  I think it would be cute if they did something love themed, for Valentine's Day, but considering how late some of the boxes went out in January, I doubt they'd be delivered on time.  We'll probably get a lame coupon for 1-800-flowers or FTD or something. eviltongue.gif  Maybe bubble bath for beauty? 

post #11 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post

My experience is that a lot of time when I see the spoilers I feel a little "meh" until I actually get the box - I've noticed the same is true for a lot of us. What I like best is the variation in products; it's cool to try a few food items, a lifestyle item, maybe some jewelry or beauty or home decor, etc. It's kind of like a mini shopping spree in a box lol. I've been introduced to some really cool brands/products via this sub - those GoVino glasses have been a hit, I use the baggu bag a ton, and the Minimergency kit was awesome for holiday travels. Heck, even the Kind bars in the flop of a July bag/box were great to try as I now buy them weekly lol. Sometimes it takes a bit to "warm up" to each box's entire contents, but it turns out (at least for me) that I end up liking boxes/items that I wasn't too excited about at first. I do agree that sometimes this sub can be lacking in terms of initial "wow" factor, though.

I love those glasses, too, although I have to be careful washing them because I tend to slice my hand open on them because the edges are thin and sharp (but at least I don't have to worry about them breaking!).  But remember how *pissed* people were that those were sent out?  I seem to recall a bunch of people declaring that they were canceling because of the cheap (which, um, no, not really) plastic glasses.  And now Birchbox sells them as well as the champagne flutes and carafes!

post #12 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

I love those glasses, too, although I have to be careful washing them because I tend to slice my hand open on them because the edges are thin and sharp (but at least I don't have to worry about them breaking!).  But remember how *pissed* people were that those were sent out?  I seem to recall a bunch of people declaring that they were canceling because of the cheap (which, um, no, not really) plastic glasses.  And now Birchbox sells them as well as the champagne flutes and carafes!

I remember that! Sometimes it can be hard to find "instant" excitement in PS boxes/items until you get a feel for the products. The GoVino glasses are an excellent example - I work at a mall and one of the boutiques we have sells the champagne flutes; I remember being very skeptical when I first saw them. Since receiving the wine version in our boxes, though, I've used them quite frequently and would actually re-purchase!

 

One of the main reasons to subscribe to such services (vs. spending that money on "something you want") is to discover and try new products that you may not have reached for on your own. I know you described before how you calculate your personal value on each box, and that's what I do as well - until I feel PS lets me down on that end, I'll be a subscriber :)

post #13 of 1122

Does anyone know how long we have to cancel before we are charged for Feb? I originally purchased a 3 month deal so I got Nov, Dec and Jan. I also got the Sept box, skipped Oct. Not sure if I want to pay full price for February. Anyone aware of any codes out there? If I did find a code, I would hate to cancel, and re-sign up with a code and miss out on Feb. and get the March box instead.
 

post #14 of 1122

Like some of the others have said I would love to get some nice chocolates like Godiva since I have such a sweet tooth. Other than that, maybe movie tickets or something that you can do on Valentines, not necessarily with a significant other, but even with a group of friends.

 

I am really going to try hard this month not to look at spoilers. One of the main reasons I love subscription boxes is for the surprise! But lets see if I can stick to that smiletongue.gif

post #15 of 1122
I wish I had enough willpower to stay away from spoilers. It's a little less exciting to open the box when I already know what's inside but I'm always too impatient to wait for boxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicacutie View Post

Does anyone know how long we have to cancel before we are charged for Feb? I originally purchased a 3 month deal so I got Nov, Dec and Jan. I also got the Sept box, skipped Oct. Not sure if I want to pay full price for February. Anyone aware of any codes out there? If I did find a code, I would hate to cancel, and re-sign up with a code and miss out on Feb. and get the March box instead.

I think the code referfriends should still work. It takes $5 off your order. So if you use it on a one month or a 3 month the price per box will come out to the same. You shouldn't have cancel for the code to work although current subscription starts in February so you probably wouldn't miss a month if you do it fast.
post #16 of 1122
I get so excited for the spoilers that by the time the box gets to me, I'm over it already! This will be my 5th box (um WOW time flies!) so maybe the novelty has worn off a bit and I can go spoiler free.
post #17 of 1122
this will be my first box...please let it be amazing and somewhat Valentine's cutesy!!!!!
post #18 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by celicacutie View Post

Does anyone know how long we have to cancel before we are charged for Feb? I originally purchased a 3 month deal so I got Nov, Dec and Jan. I also got the Sept box, skipped Oct. Not sure if I want to pay full price for February. Anyone aware of any codes out there? If I did find a code, I would hate to cancel, and re-sign up with a code and miss out on Feb. and get the March box instead.
 


In January they charged me on the 8th so if you want to cancel I'd get it done this week to be safe.  I haven't heard of any new codes :(

post #19 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dots View Post

this will be my first box...please let it be amazing and somewhat Valentine's cutesy!!!!!

Here's the thing, though:  These boxes don't even ship until after mid-month for a good chunk of people.  Mine was shipped on the 21st and arrived on the 24th (so, hey, at least it traveled quickly, but, still, only a week left in the month by the time it got here).  If they aimed for something V-Day-themed, these boxes wouldn't arrived until it was all over, and that's a CS nightmare I'm hoping they are aware enough to plan to avoid by *not* theming it to V-Day.  

 

But.  The Oscars!  Are February 24th!  And the Independent Spirit Awards are the 23rd!  Due to the general PS focus on celebrities (check out the main site and their Facebook page.  Wall to wall celebrities), I can *totally* see this as a *perfect* chance to send out a Hollywood-themed box, and that is where my vote is going.  I'm so into movies that I actually have a cat named Oscar.  Well, okay, he's actually named after Oscar Wilde (because he's gray!  _The Picture of Dorian Gray_!  And it turns out he's a pissy little bitch, just like a certain aforementioned Irishman, so it's even more appropriate).  But I've still been involved with movie festivals for a decade (as of this spring!  Whoa!  I can't believe it's been that long!), and I'll be starting my annual month of spending my weekends in a small room talking to people over the phone about what is in this year's film festival next weekend, so movies will be in the forefront of my mind for the next month.

post #20 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

Here's the thing, though:  These boxes don't even ship until after mid-month for a good chunk of people.  Mine was shipped on the 21st and arrived on the 24th (so, hey, at least it traveled quickly, but, still, only a week left in the month by the time it got here).  If they aimed for something V-Day-themed, these boxes wouldn't arrived until it was all over, and that's a CS nightmare I'm hoping they are aware enough to plan to avoid by *not* theming it to V-Day.  

But.  The Oscars!  Are February 24th!  And the Independent Spirit Awards are the 23rd!  Due to the general PS focus on celebrities (check out the main site and their Facebook page.  Wall to wall celebrities), I can *totally* see this as a *perfect* chance to send out a Hollywood-themed box, and that is where my vote is going.  I'm so into movies that I actually have a cat named Oscar.  Well, okay, he's actually named after Oscar Wilde (because he's gray!  _The Picture of Dorian Gray_!  And it turns out he's a pissy little bitch, just like a certain aforementioned Irishman, so it's even more appropriate).  But I've still been involved with movie festivals for a decade (as of this spring!  Whoa!  I can't believe it's been that long!), and I'll be starting my annual month of spending my weekends in a small room talking to people over the phone about what is in this year's film festival next weekend, so movies will be in the forefront of my mind for the next month.
Ooh, I like the Hollywood idea. December's boxes did ship early, so it's possible that, if PS is on top of things, they could get a V Day box out in time. Either way, I want some movie tickets!
post #21 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

Here's the thing, though:  These boxes don't even ship until after mid-month for a good chunk of people.  Mine was shipped on the 21st and arrived on the 24th (so, hey, at least it traveled quickly, but, still, only a week left in the month by the time it got here).  If they aimed for something V-Day-themed, these boxes wouldn't arrived until it was all over, and that's a CS nightmare I'm hoping they are aware enough to plan to avoid by *not* theming it to V-Day.  

But.  The Oscars!  Are February 24th!  And the Independent Spirit Awards are the 23rd!  Due to the general PS focus on celebrities (check out the main site and their Facebook page.  Wall to wall celebrities), I can *totally* see this as a *perfect* chance to send out a Hollywood-themed box, and that is where my vote is going.  I'm so into movies that I actually have a cat named Oscar.  Well, okay, he's actually named after Oscar Wilde (because he's gray!  _The Picture of Dorian Gray_!  And it turns out he's a pissy little bitch, just like a certain aforementioned Irishman, so it's even more appropriate).  But I've still been involved with movie festivals for a decade (as of this spring!  Whoa!  I can't believe it's been that long!), and I'll be starting my annual month of spending my weekends in a small room talking to people over the phone about what is in this year's film festival next weekend, so movies will be in the forefront of my mind for the next month.

oh...I like your idea even better!
post #22 of 1122

Oscars, yes! How fun would that be? Lot's of neat things you could do for that. Jewelry, makeup, movie tickets...fun, fun, fun!

post #23 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesemiaud View Post

Oscars, yes! How fun would that be? Lot's of neat things you could do for that. Jewelry, makeup, movie tickets...fun, fun, fun!

Also...delicious gourmet popcorn! Glitzy necklaces! Hollywood Bombshell lipsticks! Something cool for your Oscar parties! I could see this working out very well for us. :)

post #24 of 1122
I think we already saw one brand from the luxury box show up in the regular box, so I could totally see Deborah Lippmann showing up in this one since the Grammy awards are also in February, and most of her polishes have music-related (and usually rock) names.
post #25 of 1122

Oh man, I was looking up reviews for the Popsugar box, and I really really love the stuff you guys have gotten... MINUS the past two boxes which would not have been worth the price for me. Before those two though the boxes seemed awesome! I am hoping maybe this next one will appeal to me more.

 

Is there a waitlist for this sub? Anyone know how long the wait is? I'm guessing you can't just sign up after you find out what they are sending out like you can with some other subs.

post #26 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyluv View Post

Oh man, I was looking up reviews for the Popsugar box, and I really really love the stuff you guys have gotten... MINUS the past two boxes which would not have been worth the price for me. Before those two though the boxes seemed awesome! I am hoping maybe this next one will appeal to me more.

 

Is there a waitlist for this sub? Anyone know how long the wait is? I'm guessing you can't just sign up after you find out what they are sending out like you can with some other subs.

Right now the website says that subscriptions start with the February box so it doesn't sound like there is a wait list right now.  There was a wait list toward the end of the year after a couple of great boxes, so technically there is always a chance that they will have a wait list again.

They do not officially release the contents until 2 weeks or so after the boxes ship.  No one knows what will be in them until spoilers start showing up online, and by then it is too late to order that month's box.  

 

 

 

post #27 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessP View Post

I remember that! Sometimes it can be hard to find "instant" excitement in PS boxes/items until you get a feel for the products. The GoVino glasses are an excellent example - I work at a mall and one of the boutiques we have sells the champagne flutes; I remember being very skeptical when I first saw them. Since receiving the wine version in our boxes, though, I've used them quite frequently and would actually re-purchase!

 

One of the main reasons to subscribe to such services (vs. spending that money on "something you want") is to discover and try new products that you may not have reached for on your own. I know you described before how you calculate your personal value on each box, and that's what I do as well - until I feel PS lets me down on that end, I'll be a subscriber :)

 

Agreed 1000%! I've been subscribed since day one.. and on opening the box (with or without spoilers) I'm never all THAT excited about anything in it (not that I hate things - just rarely get the OMG moment from September).. but after a few uses I become OBSESSED! The socks that we got a few months back.. the GoVino glasses.. the Bodum mugs.. both work out DVDs.. the watch.. even the tote bag from the first box... all of them were SO boring to me at first but now they are honestly some of my favorite things I own! There have definitely been some items that totally missed the mark for me, and still do (the diffuser, candles, soap -- and that's just me.. others thought they were great!) but each box has had at least one or two things that I end up absolutly loving and that's what keeps me coming back!

post #28 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryliz View Post

 

Agreed 1000%! I've been subscribed since day one.. and on opening the box (with or without spoilers) I'm never all THAT excited about anything in it (not that I hate things - just rarely get the OMG moment from September).. but after a few uses I become OBSESSED! The socks that we got a few months back.. the GoVino glasses.. the Bodum mugs.. both work out DVDs.. the watch.. even the tote bag from the first box... all of them were SO boring to me at first but now they are honestly some of my favorite things I own! There have definitely been some items that totally missed the mark for me, and still do (the diffuser, candles, soap -- and that's just me.. others thought they were great!) but each box has had at least one or two things that I end up absolutly loving and that's what keeps me coming back!

I always love the little snacks too, even if they aren't so tasty, (although I've become addicted to the Pirate's Booty), they're usually perfect to take to work or class. Also...movie tickets?? I loved that! "Honey, we HAVE to go to this movie because we have tickets already." It took the "oh, $20 to see a movie I can get online in a few months is just too wasteful" out of the equation. As much as I'm sometimes "disappointed," I don't know if it will ever be to the degree that I would consider canceling.

post #29 of 1122
About movie tickets: if you go to a lot if movies, check out MoviePass! I've had it for, oh, a month or two, and I find myself seeing a whole lot more movies since I just pay $35 a month, and i don't get upset when i see a crappy movie since i'm not wasting money on a specific movie. One big catch: I think you have to have an iPhone.
post #30 of 1122
Quote:
Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

About movie tickets: if you go to a lot if movies, check out MoviePass! I've had it for, oh, a month or two, and I find myself seeing a whole lot more movies since I just pay $35 a month, and i don't get upset when i see a crappy movie since i'm not wasting money on a specific movie. One big catch: I think you have to have an iPhone.


Hmm...I don't have an iPhone but I do have a smartphone...but after a little digging, it sounds like the app will be available on the Android system "soon" (whatever that means). Perhaps in time for summer? More free time + air conditioning sounds like a recipe for lots of movies for me! I don't go very often mostly because it costs so much, but I think I would way more often if there wasn't the guilt factor (I'd feel guilty for NOT going). The only downside is that you have to convince whoever you're going with to shell out the cash for full price tickets or a membership as well. Of course, there's nothing wrong with going alone either, especially when every time does not have to be an epic "experience" since you have unlimited access.

  Return Home
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Subscription & Sampling Programs › Discussions › POPSUGAR Must Have February 2013 Box