or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox Man February 2013

Birchbox Man February 2013

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 

The February BBox Man boxes are up! Here is the link for box #1

 

https://www.birchbox.com/men/box/february-2013/february13box1

post #2 of 64

Oh my god I really hope my boyfriend doesn't get this. And I thought the felt wallet was dumb:

Jack Robie Solid Pocket Square

$25.00 (!!!???)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

post #3 of 64

Did you look at the pic of box 3?!  There's apparently a mellonish-pink one, too!  DONOTLIKE!!!!!

post #4 of 64

It looks like they're in all of the boxes.

 

Maybe hubby will surprise me and really want one.  Maybe he'll find another use for it... 

 

bandit.gif

post #5 of 64

My hubby would love that box. He uses his pocket squares any chance he gets. He want to go to a party tomorrow because he could wear his tuxedo. I am never buying him anything again though. He hates sample size products.

post #6 of 64
Not sure how seriously I could take a bank robber with a salmon pink bandana biggrin.gif
post #7 of 64

I'll tell hubby his repurpose is a fail.  ;)

post #8 of 64
Thread Starter 

agreed, that pocket square is a joke! My fiance is a city firefighter & in his spare time works out & hunts. He didn't even know what a pocket square was when I told him! He might use it to blow his nose in or to wipe the blood off his hands after gutting a deer.... this is not a joke

post #9 of 64

A pocket square? My bf and I watched the sneak peek together and he was very underwhelmed. I am thankful that his last two boxes were pretty good he found a great shaving lotion (Tiger balm) and he loves it!

 

But this month a shoe horn and a pocket square? Really? I don't think those are items that are going to appeal to them men that are being subscribed to these boxes. 

 

I am so disappointed. I really wanted to get him into Birchbox because my obsession for subscription boxes was growing. This is not a good way to keep him interested. :(

post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyutifull View Post

A pocket square? My bf and I watched the sneak peek together and he was very underwhelmed. I am thankful that his last two boxes were pretty good he found a great shaving lotion (Tiger balm) and he loves it!

 

But this month a shoe horn and a pocket square? Really? I don't think those are items that are going to appeal to them men that are being subscribed to these boxes. 

 

I am so disappointed. I really wanted to get him into Birchbox because my obsession for subscription boxes was growing. This is not a good way to keep him interested. :(

 

I totally disagree! Maybe it doesn't appeal to the men whose girlfriends/wives subscribe them to the box (I can't imagine that the firefighter/hunter hubby in an above post signed up for this all by himself - however I have been wrong before!), but I think that a large percentage of subscribers are men who are interested in grooming and looking "dapper." I know my bf is going to be way more into the pocket square and shoe horn than he was into the cheap plastic quirky headphone wrapper thing... but then again, JCrew knows our address.

wink.gif

 

Edit: I definitely signed my bf up for this too... no way he would have done it on his own - but he does like to be dapper!

post #11 of 64

i have not watched the video yet. i dont think i could use a shoehorn for a pair of rocky boots or brooks running shoes.

i dont even own a jacket that has a spot for a pocket square.

post #12 of 64
Lol sorry nathan. I was not pleased with the lifestyle products this month. I'm hoping the samples are pretty good though. Think there are 6 box options that could be getting.
post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathant78 View Post

i have not watched the video yet. i dont think i could use a shoehorn for a pair of rocky boots or brooks running shoes.

i dont even own a jacket that has a spot for a pocket square.

Lol yep this applies to my BF too.

post #14 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryliz View Post

 

I totally disagree! Maybe it doesn't appeal to the men whose girlfriends/wives subscribe them to the box (I can't imagine that the firefighter/hunter hubby in an above post signed up for this all by himself - however I have been wrong before!), but I think that a large percentage of subscribers are men who are interested in grooming and looking "dapper." I know my bf is going to be way more into the pocket square and shoe horn than he was into the cheap plastic quirky headphone wrapper thing... but then again, JCrew knows our address.

wink.gif

 

Edit: I definitely signed my bf up for this too... no way he would have done it on his own - but he does like to be dapper!

He actually did want to sign up on his own! he is totally into grooming and hair products! Being a firefighter, he has to be clean shaven in order for his oxygen mask to seal properly so he loves finding new shaving products. He also loves a good hair pomade! Just because someone is an outdoorsman doesn't mean they don't want to look good. The lifestyle products this month definitely seem to be aimed towards the business savvy type, rather than the outdoorsy & athletic type (Which is what he has down for himself in his profile)

post #15 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathant78 View Post

i have not watched the video yet. i dont think i could use a shoehorn for a pair of rocky boots or brooks running shoes.

i dont even own a jacket that has a spot for a pocket square.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie danielle View Post

Lol yep this applies to my BF too.

 Ditto!

post #16 of 64

So disappointing. I'm sure there is a certain demographic that can appreciate a good pocket square, but I just think a lot of the stuff they're pushing is too simplistic for the exorbitant prices they charge. $25 for a square of fabric, seriously? How much did they price those felt wallets at? $30? Ridiculous. My boyfriend loved the boxers and the t-shirt and some of the gadgets, and he loves a lot of the samples he gets. But some of this shit is straight up cheesy. A shoehorn? Reeeeallly??? Come on, what is this the 17th century? lol

 

In other news, I'm signed up for and awaiting the launch of Hiskit. Not much information out about it right now, but thought I would throw it out there as another sub box for dudes. http://www.hiskit.com/

post #17 of 64
Saweeet I just signed up for the waitlist! Thanks!

Anything has to be better than a shoehorn lol!
post #18 of 64

Their website lists socks and underwear among some of the items they will send, and the cost is only $12/month. So I hope it launches soon I really want to check them out.

post #19 of 64
Two things my bf loves socks and underwear lol I hope they start up soon!
post #20 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie danielle View Post

 

In other news, I'm signed up for and awaiting the launch of Hiskit. Not much information out about it right now, but thought I would throw it out there as another sub box for dudes. http://www.hiskit.com/


OOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!  Definitely wanna hear all about this!  Please keep us updated!

post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily9763 View Post

He actually did want to sign up on his own! he is totally into grooming and hair products! Being a firefighter, he has to be clean shaven in order for his oxygen mask to seal properly so he loves finding new shaving products. He also loves a good hair pomade! Just because someone is an outdoorsman doesn't mean they don't want to look good. The lifestyle products this month definitely seem to be aimed towards the business savvy type, rather than the outdoorsy & athletic type (Which is what he has down for himself in his profile)

 

Hahaha touche! Well - sorry your man isn't into this box... hope you get something good next month!

post #22 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie danielle View Post

So disappointing. I'm sure there is a certain demographic that can appreciate a good pocket square, but I just think a lot of the stuff they're pushing is too simplistic for the exorbitant prices they charge. $25 for a square of fabric, seriously? How much did they price those felt wallets at? $30? Ridiculous. My boyfriend loved the boxers and the t-shirt and some of the gadgets, and he loves a lot of the samples he gets. But some of this shit is straight up cheesy. A shoehorn? Reeeeallly??? Come on, what is this the 17th century? lol

 

In other news, I'm signed up for and awaiting the launch of Hiskit. Not much information out about it right now, but thought I would throw it out there as another sub box for dudes. http://www.hiskit.com/

 

Definitely wait listed, at $12/mo it's definitely tempting to at least see what they'll have.

 

I too don't understand the pocketsquare and shoehorn icon_neutral.gif I feel it's a very certain urban young demographic they are trying to hit (which my bf is technically, lol) but I don't think he will be impressed either...i don't see how the 'birchbox man' in general would open this and be like yes, perfect. Again, I could be wrongly assuming their sub demographic.

 

Maybe it just seems more aspirational than inspirational this month...whereas I subbed him based on past boxes that seemed to be more inspiring (like the idea of having multiple shaving steps, a casual belt to dress up an outfit, etc).

post #23 of 64
I am not understanding their idea of shoehorn and a pocket square. I let my bf know about hiskit and he is excited about it. I got my hopes up for a decent man sub!
post #24 of 64

Does it say the hiskit doesn't plan to start until the FALL?

post #25 of 64

Hubs can get:  7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

 

Most likely can rule out 5 since that one has a beard thing in it, and he has indicated he is clean-shaven.

 

I'll be interested to see which he gets!  He totally won't mind a pocket square...and I've been wanting a shoe horn (to help get my daughter's Chucks on her...those fabric backs are awful to get on to a squirmy toddler!)  

 

Looking forward to it!  :D  

post #26 of 64
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellee View Post

Did you look at the pic of box 3?!  There's apparently a mellonish-pink one, too!  DONOTLIKE!!!!!

 My fiance is getting Box 3! haha but I looked at pocket square thingy on the bbox page and the color is actually Solid Red, I think it just looks pink in the box photo (hopefully). The other colors are Solid blue and Solid lavender (Eeeek)

post #27 of 64

DH is getting Box 4.  I think it is kinda "meh."  Small cologne sample 2 foil packets and the Proraso which is a little tube and the full size is only $10.  I mean, he'll like the "lifestyle extras" but I think they're crapping out on padding the box with the "extras" when he'd rather have more products or LARGER sample products to try.  We might cancel until we see that they can do some improvements in what they're offering.

post #28 of 64

dang, getting box 2 with foil packets, was hoping for box 1 or 9 just cause it looked like it had two deluxe sample sizes

 

I was actually really curious about the swiss army forest sample, it sounds different from the same old pepper or patchouilli scents out (juniper, nutmeg, cedar, sage)

 

estimate arrival Jan 30

post #29 of 64
We are not very excited for this month. There is no way a shoehorn costs $18. I feel they are only trying to justify the price of this box. Oh well. Giving them one more month to 'wow' us. Got my fingers crossed.
post #30 of 64

anyone willing to trade or sell the victorinox cologne?

i got box 3 *sigh*

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birchbox Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox Man February 2013