or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Subscription & Sampling Programs › Discussions › Out of the Box - what do you think?

Out of the Box - what do you think?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

Out of the Box by Etsy shop owners. Each month they put together boxes (with different themes), filled to the brim with 17-18 (and sometimes more)of different businesses' samples (and sometimes full-sized items), for you to enjoy. The boxes overflow with items like melts, scrubs, bath, body, tarts, candles, gourmet foods, jewelry, coupons, discounts, cards and much more, from some of the best e-tailers on the web. $25 including shipping.

 

Let us know what you think!

 

post #2 of 28
Thread Starter 

Just received my Out of the Box delivery notice!  So psyched!  In case you're wondering, It's shipped via USPS from :

MICHELLE M MURRAY
UGLY DUCKLING DESIGNS
743 HIGH ST
FREEPORT PA 16229-1225

 

They don't list "Out of the Box" on the shipping notification, so it may be confusing as to who she is.

 

Sure hope I'll be happy with the contents!  The bodaciously big Valentine's day box ($69.95, Woo!! at that price it better have Frankincense and Myrrh in it),  is sold out, there may be smaller boxes ($25)  still available.check.  Check  em' out on FB for real time info . 

 

They list the participants/sponsors including their websites on their timeline.


Edited by Deenellie - 2/8/13 at 8:32am
post #3 of 28
Can't wait to see what you get!
post #4 of 28

A couple of my readers had tried this and seemed pleased with it. I would like to but I am not a big bar soap user so I've been waiting a little bit to use up what i have.

post #5 of 28

I purchased one in November or December (can't recall). I liked it, but I think it's not for me. A lot of the items were nice, but just stuff I had enough of. I like that they do have different types of boxes for certain months though. I used to be a huge Etsy shopper, but now I have so many products to get through. I think if you love buying on Etsy and finding new shops, you'll enjoy it.

post #6 of 28

It's not worth $25. I like some of the body care, candles & edibles but I don't like the crafts - no thanks. I would never buy one again. The bodaciously boxes are also way overpriced.

post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souly View Post

It's not worth $25. I like some of the body care, candles & edibles but I don't like the crafts - no thanks. I would never buy one again. The bodaciously boxes are also way overpriced.


Yeah I didn't feel like it was worth the cost. I got the October box. I got a bunch of wax things for melters (I don't have one) instead of candles, some bar soap, and a bunch of tacky holiday-themed jewelry that MIGHT appeal to the weird 3rd grade teacher that the kids love and the parents question the stability of.

post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 

I almost fainted when I saw the $69.95 price for the bodaciously big box.  Based on some of the sponsors that were involved, I thought perhaps there maybe alot of crafts in the box (which I'm not really interested in), so I thought I'd better start small.  I have a feeling there may be alot of "junk", but we'll see.  I don't want to judge until I see with my own eyes.  I love Etsy though.  I'm staying away, cause it's dangerous.  I want to buy everything!  I like supporting artists and small businesses.

post #9 of 28
I ordered one earlier. I love different handmade things so im hoping that its well worth the $25 price
post #10 of 28
Im so excited!!! I got my out of the box sampler. Not sure how to upload pics but heres a list of what i got for $25 along with a list of coupon codes.

Raspberry delight bath salts- creative fusion
3 mini handmade soaps- mind body and soul soaps
Cherry chip cake tart cup- candle confectionery
Heart pin- eclectic aims
Super cute gift tags- just a bit of paper
Soap sample- festive soap
Black rose ring- the jewelry box
Mardi gras goat milk sample- red dragon apothecary
Strawberry shortcake tart- ugly duckling designs
Love my feet callus remover soap- ps i love soap co
Red heart earrings- Alaska stixs n stones
Filigree Heart and pearl earrings- kyotes kreations
Heart magnet-caffeinated papercuts
Lavender massage oil- one-derings
Choclate honey chocolate pop- bubbas sweets
apple sucker-ju-c suckers
Wax melt- blood touch(?)
Strawberry cream wax melts- bath and body by anthea

Love spray- joie joelle creations
Strawberry chocolate wax melts- zaleksi creations.

All that for $25 smile.gif cant wait to try all of this stuff !!and i orderes it Thursday and got it today
post #11 of 28

I've been waiting on pictures to roll in for this one before I decide to go for it. There are tons of little shops I'd like to try on Esty so in theory this sounds like a perfect option for me.

post #12 of 28
Ive tried to get pics to work and my phone will not upload them. frown.gif
post #13 of 28
I didny get anything i wouldn't use. No overpowering scents.
post #14 of 28

I got mine today and I had a lot of fun unboxing it with my daughter in law.  There is a lot of stuff in the box.  We liked most of it.  We didn't actually know what a couple things were as there was no label or anything to tell if it was soap or wax tarts or maybe even candy.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't think I'd buy it on a regular basis but it is a fun box and considering how many items are in it, worth $25.  I was kind of floored by some little round crocheted thing which, what?  It isn't big enough to be anything so I have no clue what it's supposed to be a sample of.

 

I was happy with it overall.  What I didn't like my DIL did and I can give my daughter the 3 pairs of earrings that were in the box.  

post #15 of 28

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure how I feel about this box.  On one hand, everything had an amazing smell, didn't trigger any allergies, and the jewelery I got were super pretty. On the other hand, I felt like there was not enough variety (too much candle products!).  Probably wouldn't buy this on a regular basis.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Candles, bath salts, jewelery, some paper thing, pins...

Two food items.

 

Overall, I will give most of these items to my mother. She'll have a better use of it than I will.

post #16 of 28
After seeing the pictures I'm kind of glad I didn't get it. I am not a huge fan of candles so those would just be clutter for me. I'd want just bath related stuff. Maybe I'll just message the shops I've been eyeing and ask if they'd offer their own little sample box for a fee.
post #17 of 28

I received mine yesterday -- shipping was faster than many of the other services.  There was A LOT of stuff in the box, but I probably won't be reordering.  It had a LOT of candles and a lot of soap.  I also received 2 or 3 items that I have no idea what they are because there's no explanation.  The two heart shaped things--anyone know if those are soap or candles or something else entirely?!  And the thing that looks like a mini-pot holder? 

 

I think it's a good value, but I'm not big on a lot of things with strong smells (ie, the whole box -- when I opened it, I struggled with keeping down my dinner.  My fiancee loved the smell, but I can't take strong fruit scents).  Overall, I think it depends on your preference -- it's a good service and a great idea, as long as you enjoy things like homemade soaps and candles.

post #18 of 28

We couldn't figure out the 2 heart shaped things either LOL!

 

I was really annoyed by that teeny crocheted circle after I realised that chick is selling them for $2.25 with $1.80 shipping and marketing them as "general purpose' crochet rounds.  Um, what!!!!???  I'm a veteran crocheter and I can tell you it would cost maybe 25 cents and five minutes to make and you could mail them in a regular letter envelope.  She ought to be ashamed of herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMonica View Post

I received mine yesterday -- shipping was faster than many of the other services.  There was A LOT of stuff in the box, but I probably won't be reordering.  It had a LOT of candles and a lot of soap.  I also received 2 or 3 items that I have no idea what they are because there's no explanation.  The two heart shaped things--anyone know if those are soap or candles or something else entirely?!  And the thing that looks like a mini-pot holder? 

 

I think it's a good value, but I'm not big on a lot of things with strong smells (ie, the whole box -- when I opened it, I struggled with keeping down my dinner.  My fiancee loved the smell, but I can't take strong fruit scents).  Overall, I think it depends on your preference -- it's a good service and a great idea, as long as you enjoy things like homemade soaps and candles.

post #19 of 28
I think those are wax melts. I think. Lol
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

We couldn't figure out the 2 heart shaped things either LOL!

 

I was really annoyed by that teeny crocheted circle after I realised that chick is selling them for $2.25 with $1.80 shipping and marketing them as "general purpose' crochet rounds.  Um, what!!!!???  I'm a veteran crocheter and I can tell you it would cost maybe 25 cents and five minutes to make and you could mail them in a regular letter envelope.  She ought to be ashamed of herself.

I'm a veteran knitter who can't crochet worth a damn, but I do want to knit an owl toy for my friend's nursery that has crocheted eyes, maybe I should contact this lady?  Hahaha!  I get frustrated myself with 1 hour scarves knit in Super Saver going for a lot of money, when I know I could never sell my lace for enough to make the work worth it.  Oh well.

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
I received my box today.  I was shocked at how quickly the box shipped and How quickly I received it.  I have to say I was underwhelmed with the contents.  It's these cases where I feel bad about spending $25.  The good thing is I can give the jewelry to my niece, she'll enjoy it so I don't feel so bad about that.
I love bath products, so I'm pleased with the salts, scrubs, could do without the pieces of soap.  If you're gonna give soap, do better than a sliver.  What can I do with that?  Too many candle tarts, hate ths scents (strawberry cream, shortening & cinnamon).  It would've been alright if they were scents that I like.  The only one I liked was the Bergamot scent.
 
Raspberry delight bath salts-  Not a fan of raspberry, but it didn't smell that bad.
Lavender Bath soak
Cute gift tags & Valentine card
Spicy Mexican Toffee, tasty, would've been better without the spice
Goat milk & honey lotion sample & a mini soy candle, the scent is Hot Kiss - interesting, in a little box, nice packaging
Love my feet callus remover soap- they get points for this, a plus!
Heart magnet-caffeinated - very cute
Choclate honey chocolate pop- bubbas sweets
banana heart shaped sucker- alright I guess
Love salts- joie joelle creations, smells like rose, too strong.  Grandma might like it
Where's the chocolate, Not a real Valentine's box without chocolate!! Really?
In a nutshell, glad I bought the box.  Worth $25, not to me. I would've been mad if I bought the bodacious box for almost $70, really?   Glad I'm not throwing out everything, able to re-gift some items.  Don't know what I'll do with the candle tarts.
I won't buy a box again, un-less they upgrade.
 
 
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

We couldn't figure out the 2 heart shaped things either LOL!

 

I was really annoyed by that teeny crocheted circle after I realised that chick is selling them for $2.25 with $1.80 shipping and marketing them as "general purpose' crochet rounds.  Um, what!!!!???  I'm a veteran crocheter and I can tell you it would cost maybe 25 cents and five minutes to make and you could mail them in a regular letter envelope.  She ought to be ashamed of herself.

I received some of the crocheted circles several months ago.  That crafter labeled the crocheted circle as a gentle scrubbie to wash your face with.

post #23 of 28

I liked the box, but I like hand made items. I burn a lot of tarts and candles. I also liked liked the beauty items and the jewelery. I don't know that I would order every month. I think it would depend on the theme.

post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggpi View Post

I'm a veteran knitter who can't crochet worth a damn, but I do want to knit an owl toy for my friend's nursery that has crocheted eyes, maybe I should contact this lady?  Hahaha!  I get frustrated myself with 1 hour scarves knit in Super Saver going for a lot of money, when I know I could never sell my lace for enough to make the work worth it.  Oh well.

I'll make you eyes for free and even throw in shipping...for real, that's how much it offends me that she is such a rip-off artist.

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaG View Post

I received some of the crocheted circles several months ago.  That crafter labeled the crocheted circle as a gentle scrubbie to wash your face with.

How can be be a "scrubbie" when it's 100% cotton?  You can go to CVS and buy a pack of 5 textured scrubbies for less than $4.00.

post #26 of 28

Well, if people want to pay $4 for one of her crochet things that is up to them...I mean people pay $100 for a lip balm or whatever thesedays-not saying I would do that.

 

Also her items are not made in China and are handmade,so some people like that better I guess.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Postr

How can be be a "scrubbie" when it's 100% cotton?  You can go to CVS and buy a pack of 5 textured scrubbies for less than $4.00.

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post

I got mine today and I had a lot of fun unboxing it with my daughter in law.  There is a lot of stuff in the box.  We liked most of it.  We didn't actually know what a couple things were as there was no label or anything to tell if it was soap or wax tarts or maybe even candy.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't think I'd buy it on a regular basis but it is a fun box and considering how many items are in it, worth $25.  I was kind of floored by some little round crocheted thing which, what?  It isn't big enough to be anything so I have no clue what it's supposed to be a sample of.

 

I was happy with it overall.  What I didn't like my DIL did and I can give my daughter the 3 pairs of earrings that were in the box.  


Ha!  Just noticed the guy in the background.  Nice arms.  : )

post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal View Post


Ha!  Just noticed the guy in the background.  Nice arms.  : )

Haha!  That's my husband.  He's holding up pretty well for an old guy (48)!

  Return Home
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Subscription & Sampling Programs › Discussions › Out of the Box - what do you think?