or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Julep › Discussions › Julep: April 2013

Julep: April 2013 - Page 17

post #481 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilekate View Post

What's that?
Sally Hansen, I believe.
post #482 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 View Post


Mine only requires a few clicks as well to get enough to apply to one hand.  Mine may leak though, as I noticed it was wet when I first opened it.  I'm storing it sitting upright just in case.

I thought mine was leaking a couple times as well. When I used it the brush had little product on it but when I opened it again to use it, it was saturated.
post #483 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilekate View Post


What's that?

The Sally Hansen top coat the one that comes in a red bottle.

post #484 of 678
I just signed up for Julep! I am excited. I should get my starter box (or whatever it's called) next week, I am guessing. I got the "It Girl" one, I think. I hope I am not disappointed with this service. I have read some really mixed reviews and decided to just jump in and try it for myself!
post #485 of 678

I just wore Lena for almost 4 days before some minor chipping.  This has to be a new record for me.  I usually get about 1 day before my polish chips.  But it stained my nails green!  It was so pretty though.  I wore it with a hot pink shirt and I felt 90s rad.  :)  I'm wearing one of Julep foils and love the color, but they chip so easily on me.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions?

post #486 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwhackers View Post

I just signed up for Julep! I am excited. I should get my starter box (or whatever it's called) next week, I am guessing. I got the "It Girl" one, I think. I hope I am not disappointed with this service. I have read some really mixed reviews and decided to just jump in and try it for myself!

I was so addicted the first few months I signed up.

post #487 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny81 View Post

I just wore Lena for almost 4 days before some minor chipping.  This has to be a new record for me.  I usually get about 1 day before my polish chips.  But it stained my nails green!  It was so pretty though.  I wore it with a hot pink shirt and I felt 90s rad.  :)  I'm wearing one of Julep foils and love the color, but they chip so easily on me.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Any suggestions?

are you wearing base and top coats? a base coat prevents most staining and the top coat helps with chipping.

post #488 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautyboxgal View Post


Same for me.  It takes about twenty clicks to get enough for both of my hands. 

It only took this many clicks the first time to prime it, but after that it has taken a few clicks per hand.

post #489 of 678
I've gotten 2 months now and I'm so not impressed frown.gif
post #490 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC327 View Post

I was so addicted the first few months I signed up.

This, kinda.

I joined Julep back when they were still fairly new November of 2011... I wasn't overly impressed but when I rejoined after joining this board. I went from having 3 polishes of theirs to over 50 in a matter of 3 weeks. Hoarding and addiction, it is real among these boards lol.

Although I think their formula is extremely hit or miss, mostly miss these days I just keep buying and buying.
post #491 of 678

Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD polish remover? Something they swear by? I just found subscription boxes, and julep and have NEVER painted my nails this often and went through a bottle of remover that I have probably had for a year, in like three months because I keep changing polishes (I love this haha) but if i am going to be using it more often I think i may want to make sure I use an ok remover. No idea if this is even necessary or not... thoughts? Suggestions? I feel like the CVS one I have doesnt always do a great job...or maybe I need to invest in a better base coat? 

post #492 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg534 View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD polish remover? Something they swear by? I just found subscription boxes, and julep and have NEVER painted my nails this often and went through a bottle of remover that I have probably had for a year, in like three months because I keep changing polishes (I love this haha) but if i am going to be using it more often I think i may want to make sure I use an ok remover. No idea if this is even necessary or not... thoughts? Suggestions? I feel like the CVS one I have doesnt always do a great job...or maybe I need to invest in a better base coat? 

I just use the CVS brand strengthening polish remover - it's cheap, it gets the job done, and it doesn't slaughter my nails.

post #493 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiheather View Post


This, kinda.

I joined Julep back when they were still fairly new November of 2011... I wasn't overly impressed but when I rejoined after joining this board. I went from having 3 polishes of theirs to over 50 in a matter of 3 weeks. Hoarding and addiction, it is real among these boards lol.

Although I think their formula is extremely hit or miss, mostly miss these days I just keep buying and buying.

I joined November 2012 and I bought so many from their site and ebay I am afraid to count lol. Also it doesn't help that we are all enablers here and I have a shopping problem.

post #494 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg534 View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD polish remover? Something they swear by? I just found subscription boxes, and julep and have NEVER painted my nails this often and went through a bottle of remover that I have probably had for a year, in like three months because I keep changing polishes (I love this haha) but if i am going to be using it more often I think i may want to make sure I use an ok remover. No idea if this is even necessary or not... thoughts? Suggestions? I feel like the CVS one I have doesnt always do a great job...or maybe I need to invest in a better base coat? 

 

I really like Zoya's remove +. It's definitely more expensive than the drugstore brand, but it's a lot milder, yet still does a good job at removing polish. Plus, Birchbox has it in their store, so when I have points, I can get it there for "free"...

post #495 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg534 View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a GOOD polish remover? Something they swear by? I just found subscription boxes, and julep and have NEVER painted my nails this often and went through a bottle of remover that I have probably had for a year, in like three months because I keep changing polishes (I love this haha) but if i am going to be using it more often I think i may want to make sure I use an ok remover. No idea if this is even necessary or not... thoughts? Suggestions? I feel like the CVS one I have doesnt always do a great job...or maybe I need to invest in a better base coat? 

 

Seconding the Zoya + Remove recommendation. I paint my nails every 1-2 days (it's a sickness) and have only used Zoya for almost 2 years. It's incredibly powerful for being non-acetone (even with glitter!), it has the most convenient bottle (a pump-action that is awesome mid-manicure), and most importantly to me, is not at all drying. The CVS ones I used to use, even if they were "non-acetone" or "nourishing" or whatever the label said, always dried out my skin. Not so with Zoya. It *is* $10 a bottle, but imho it is completely worth it.

post #496 of 678

Zoya Remove+ is great, but pretty expensive. Sephora brand is also pretty expensive, but a good remover.

 

If you're looking for something cheap but super effective, go for pure 100% acetone. Make sure you have super saturating lotion/hand creme for when you're finished though. Also, Cutex is fairly consistently good, but a lot cheaper. If you also shop at Stop&Shop/Giant, their generic CareOne brand of polish remover is also great (and a lot cheaper than Cutex). http://www.care1.info/

post #497 of 678

honestly, the best removers at a cheap price are the ones that come in plastic jars with a sponge. there will also be a tool in there for rubbing your nails with or you just put your nail in the slit in the sponge and twist it around. they are usually $2-6 bucks depending on brands/stores but say 'instant' on them. cvs/equate(walmart)/etc never work well for me. i grabbed the onyx professional one in a hurry, which is 100% acetone, and only cost $1.99 for 4oz. it's light years ahead of others but not as good as the jar ones i mentioned.

post #498 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4chel77 View Post

honestly, the best removers at a cheap price are the ones that come in plastic jars with a sponge. there will also be a tool in there for rubbing your nails with or you just put your nail in the slit in the sponge and twist it around. they are usually $2-6 bucks depending on brands/stores but say 'instant' on them. cvs/equate(walmart)/etc never work well for me. i grabbed the onyx professional one in a hurry, which is 100% acetone, and only cost $1.99 for 4oz. it's light years ahead of others but not as good as the jar ones i mentioned.


YES, it used to take forever to wipe each nail down with a cotton pad and a bottle of polish remover...then I got those jars with the sponge...LOVE IT!

post #499 of 678

I ordered the Glamazon box from the April secret store and they forgot to include the polish.  Every order I've gotten from Julep has had an issue.  The first box they "forgot" and I didn't get it for weeks, I finally called to find out what was happening.  The second box: missing items.  The third box: wrong items.  The fourth box: missing polish.  They always quickly address the issue and their customer service is polite and easy to get a hold of but their quality control is crazy lousy.

 

Like I said before though, I love the products, hate the polish. I give the polish away to friends because I hate the formula.  Their colors are fantastic but the polish itself is awful.

 

I'm with the other posters, the new cuticle oil takes multiple clicks to do each hand, not the "half click" they suggest.  I've been using it for about a week, waiting the full two weeks to see if there really are any noticeable results like they promise.

post #500 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeGiants View Post

I really like Zoya's remove +. It's definitely more expensive than the drugstore brand, but it's a lot milder, yet still does a good job at removing polish. Plus, Birchbox has it in their store, so when I have points, I can get it there for "free"...

And if you order over $35 on Zoya's website their freebie has been a 2oz bottle of Remove, so I try to wait til I get a larger order. I have yet to run out of my 8oz bottle (which I bought with Birchbox points) since I keep filling it up with the 2oz bottles, mind you I swap out polish two or three times a week.
post #501 of 678
If you poke around on YouTube, there are DIY tutorials for homemade Remove. I think it's just acetone, glycerin, and water.
post #502 of 678

I just received my Secret Store order.  I got Harley, Robin, Ingrid, Kelly, Minka, and Yumi.  I'm very happy to get Ingrid and another Robin.  After swatching all of them, I don't know if I'll wear Harley, but I'm excited to try Ingrid and Yumi.  

post #503 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsesinlogic View Post

 

Seconding the Zoya + Remove recommendation. I paint my nails every 1-2 days (it's a sickness) and have only used Zoya for almost 2 years. It's incredibly powerful for being non-acetone (even with glitter!), it has the most convenient bottle (a pump-action that is awesome mid-manicure), and most importantly to me, is not at all drying. The CVS ones I used to use, even if they were "non-acetone" or "nourishing" or whatever the label said, always dried out my skin. Not so with Zoya. It *is* $10 a bottle, but imho it is completely worth it.

Sounds like I might have to try the zoya one.

post #504 of 678
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophilekate View Post

I just received my Secret Store order.  I got Harley, Robin, Ingrid, Kelly, Minka, and Yumi.  I'm very happy to get Ingrid and another Robin.  After swatching all of them, I don't know if I'll wear Harley, but I'm excited to try Ingrid and Yumi.  

Sounds like a good haul, I was good and didn't order anything.

post #505 of 678
Avery started looking a bit worn after 3 days. I got Yumi yesterday and slapped a coat on top to get thru the last workdsy of the week. I hoped the glitter would distract people from the chips
post #506 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennm149 View Post

Avery started looking a bit worn after 3 days. I got Yumi yesterday and slapped a coat on top to get thru the last workdsy of the week. I hoped the glitter would distract people from the chips

That looks so happy!  It's like a birthday cake on your fingernails!

post #507 of 678
I really like juleps remover- I'm pretty sure it's non acetone.
post #508 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4chel77 View Post

are you wearing base and top coats? a base coat prevents most staining and the top coat helps with chipping.

 

Yep.  I've tried several variations, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  :(  I've repainted my nails three times this week.  So much chipping.  oh well....I just get to rotate through my collection faster, right?

post #509 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna999 View Post

I really like juleps remover- I'm pretty sure it's non acetone.

I use the Julep one on my daughter.  It works, but I really don't like the way it smells.

post #510 of 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCookie View Post


YES, it used to take forever to wipe each nail down with a cotton pad and a bottle of polish remover...then I got those jars with the sponge...LOVE IT!

I've never tried those jars with the sponge O.O I was using Up & Up before leaving NY and loved it because it left this clean,fresh and not at all annoying after smell lol XD I paint my nails a lot and appreciate something like that XD I thought it would be stupid to bring a bottle of remover with me back home, but now I miss it D: XD

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Julep
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Julep › Discussions › Julep: April 2013