or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Ipsy Subscribers › Discussions › Ipsy Glam Bag: October 2013 SPOILERS discussion

Ipsy Glam Bag: October 2013 SPOILERS discussion - Page 7

post #181 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany27la View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested.

UGH! I SO wish I lived closer to you guys because THIS is what I do for a living, and I'm actually pretty good at it lol!

Ladies come to me with their forlorn, barren brows and, through a combination of will power and sheer, brute strength, ( I don't allow my clients to TOUCH their brows during growout), I'm able to turn their unruly, sparse brow beds into works of art..

(Ok, I know that sounded slightly theatrical and condescending, but believe me when I tell you, it's a process..!) In the last ten years, I've still yet to come across a brow I couldn't marginally enhance, as long as the client would follow my instructions:

Me: PUT THE TWEEZERS DOWN. Lol

 

I have the opposite problem I have bushy eye brows that grow crazy fast.  they drive me crazy. when I last got them waxed I went to a benefit brow bar  and the girl was gushing about how great my eye brows were and I was like my caterpillars???? how are they awesome? she said people would love me eye brows because she could wax them into any shape.  of course that was a few weeks ago and they are all grown out now even with me trying to keep up with them.

post #182 of 3075
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrix View Post
 

 

The lashes look great! I feel you on the eyebrow thing. I overplucked the first time I ever shaped my brows back in the early '90's. The hair has yet to grow back in so I basically have 3/4 length brows that are very sparse and thin at the back ends. One of these days I'll figure out how to properly fill them in. lol

 

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested. 

 

Unless you have black hair, like me, you always want to go just slightly lighter than your natural color. An angle brush - such as you use for gel eyeliner - also helps since it gives you a nice edge to work with.

post #183 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrix View Post
 

 

The lashes look great! I feel you on the eyebrow thing. I overplucked the first time I ever shaped my brows back in the early '90's. The hair has yet to grow back in so I basically have 3/4 length brows that are very sparse and thin at the back ends. One of these days I'll figure out how to properly fill them in. lol

 

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested. 

 

That's how I feel too. I always think it looks way too obvious when I try to fill them in. I think it's because there aren't enough hairs to blend in to the "drawn on" parts. Or maybe I'm just being overly critical. *shrug*

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany27la View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested. 

UGH! I SO wish I lived closer to you guys because THIS is what I do for a living, and I'm actually pretty good at it lol!

Ladies come to me with their forlorn, barren brows and, through a combination of will power and sheer, brute strength, ( I don't allow my clients to TOUCH their brows during growout), I'm able to turn their unruly, sparse brow beds into works of art..

(Ok, I know that sounded slightly theatrical and condescending, but believe me when I tell you, it's a process..!) In the last ten years, I've still yet to come across a brow I couldn't marginally enhance, as long as the client would follow my instructions:

Me: PUT THE TWEEZERS DOWN. Lol

 

I wish you lived closer too! haha

I rarely use my tweezers anymore. I get the occasional stray hair or 2 below my brow line that I'll pluck but I never touch my actual brows. I need all the hairs I can spare up there! Hair literally does not grow anywhere near where I need it to. Do they make Rogaine for brows? lol

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrix View Post
 

 

The lashes look great! I feel you on the eyebrow thing. I overplucked the first time I ever shaped my brows back in the early '90's. The hair has yet to grow back in so I basically have 3/4 length brows that are very sparse and thin at the back ends. One of these days I'll figure out how to properly fill them in. lol

 

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested. 

 

Unless you have black hair, like me, you always want to go just slightly lighter than your natural color. An angle brush - such as you use for gel eyeliner - also helps since it gives you a nice edge to work with.

 

Thanks for the tips! I will have to set aside some time to practice different techniques and mediums. 

post #184 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrix View Post
 

 

The lashes look great! I feel you on the eyebrow thing. I overplucked the first time I ever shaped my brows back in the early '90's. The hair has yet to grow back in so I basically have 3/4 length brows that are very sparse and thin at the back ends. One of these days I'll figure out how to properly fill them in. lol

 

Seriously, same exact problem. Someone needs to teach a class where they show us all how to do this. Whenever I fill them in, I look like I'm painting myself for halloween or something. It's always way too dark and way too obviously "filled in". Let me know if you figure it out, lol. Going to try a powder next, like Zazi suggested. 

 

Unless you have black hair, like me, you always want to go just slightly lighter than your natural color. An angle brush - such as you use for gel eyeliner - also helps since it gives you a nice edge to work with.

 

Ugh, I have waited my entire life for the hairs to stop growing back, actually my mom has too, no such luck :P 

 

The key is to use a much lighter hand towards the middle, and if you are really creative, make your pencil/brushstrokes the same length and direction as your hairs. 

 

I think that the less pigmented and waxier (usually horrible characteristics for makeup) actually make for the best brown experience, so you can start off barely noticeable and build up.

 

I use a whole bunch of products, with powder, I find that rather than an angled brush, a stiff flat brush, )I use a mac 212) has been a lot more friendly in helping me line the arch, then fill in the top

 

and LOTS of combing. brush those babies into place :) 

post #185 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslaurelann View Post
 

I know I said I didn't want a Halloween bag, but I would definitely be on board with a black cat, or cat bag in general. Here's a pic of my black baby, but I hid it in case no one wanted to see yahootongue.gif

Warning: Cute Kitty! (Click to show)
AppleMark

 

So cute!

post #186 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Papoutsi View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellerenee View Post
 

 

 

 

I would loooove a deep berry lipstick. I'm obsessed with Revlon's Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie but want something a few shades darker for the fall/winter.

 

No matter what we get in October's Ipsy bag, I highly recommend Revlon's Balm Stain in Crush... it's the most perfect deep berry lipstick that I own and it's non-drying and really long lasting. I found this pic online if you would like to see how it looks on (and there is a whole thread with swatches here in makeuptalk too)!

 

 

That's a beautiful color!

post #187 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post

I would REALLY like a cat print bag. Like a lot. I don't think it is likely but if it happened I would actually care about the bag for once (in the best possible way). I am such a crazy cat lady!

 

Lol me too.

post #188 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonblossom View Post
 

I would love a cat print bag too.

 

Vinnie was a fan of the cailyn balm in last month's bag, I bet he'd get a kick out of a cat bag:

 

 

Too cute!

post #189 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany27la View Post

UGH! I SO wish I lived closer to you guys because THIS is what I do for a living, and I'm actually pretty good at it lol!

Ladies come to me with their forlorn, barren brows and, through a combination of will power and sheer, brute strength, ( I don't allow my clients to TOUCH their brows during growout), I'm able to turn their unruly, sparse brow beds into works of art..

(Ok, I know that sounded slightly theatrical and condescending, but believe me when I tell you, it's a process..!) In the last ten years, I've still yet to come across a brow I couldn't marginally enhance, as long as the client would follow my instructions:

Me: PUT THE TWEEZERS DOWN. Lol

I just started going to the benefit brow bar in my local Ulta & I swear my "brow stylist" has changed my life. She told me the same thing you tell your clients: DROP THE TWEEZERS. My brows are finally filling in & I feel so much more confident. Def worth the $20.
post #190 of 3075

I wish I could share my brows with you all! I have too much brow XD

post #191 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicalriley View Post


I just started going to the benefit brow bar in my local Ulta & I swear my "brow stylist" has changed my life. She told me the same thing you tell your clients: DROP THE TWEEZERS. My brows are finally filling in & I feel so much more confident. Def worth the $20.

THIS. One of the biggest problems I've consistently noticed with the majority of my clients is the amount of emotional attachment they have with their eyebrows..As crazy as it sounds, so much of their perceived self-worth is tied to how they *feel* they look, and since eyebrows are such an integral part of facial framework, (probably the most important IMHO), it's very difficult for women to relinquish control of such a personal area...Nearly all of the clients I receive are by referral now, but I still work hard to gain their trust individually, and it is one of the most gratifying feelings in the world to see the shift in confidence as their brows start to take shape...I LOVE that I get to help women look and feel more beautiful :)

post #192 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany27la View Post

THIS. One of the biggest problems I've consistently noticed with the majority of my clients is the amount of emotional attachment they have with their eyebrows..As crazy as it sounds, so much of their perceived self-worth is tied to how they *feel* they look, and since eyebrows are such an integral part of facial framework, (probably the most important IMHO), it's very difficult for women to relinquish control of such a personal area...Nearly all of the clients I receive are by referral now, but I still work hard to gain their trust individually, and it is one of the most gratifying feelings in the world to see the shift in confidence as their brows start to take shape...I LOVE that I get to help women look and feel more beautiful smile.gif
I wish you lived here!!! My brows seriously need some shaping, but I'm terrified to do anything to them since I've seen so many botched eyebrows... I need to pick up the tweezers rather than drop them! I'm just lucky they're light so they don't look as noticeable as darker ones. :-/
post #193 of 3075

I don't have a problem with mine being sparse my problem is that they are stick straight!! I had to work at it to get what little arch I do have and it makes me sad because I love pin-up brows which are really arched. But alas, I'll work with what the Lord gave me. 

I just came to realize how important brows are not too long ago and it has definitely helped me feel better once they were done. Now it's something I don't go without! It's what I spend the most time in doing.

post #194 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKAGlam View Post
 

I don't have a problem with mine being sparse my problem is that they are stick straight!! I had to work at it to get what little arch I do have and it makes me sad because I love pin-up brows which are really arched. But alas, I'll work with what the Lord gave me. 

I just came to realize how important brows are not too long ago and it has definitely helped me feel better once they were done. Now it's something I don't go without! It's what I spend the most time in doing.

 

One thing I've been able to do that really helps my clients with "stick" straight hair is to actually cut the arch into their brow hair rather than trying to achieve shape from waxing...this takes LOTS of finesse, though, lol, (and usually lots of practice!) but, if you have a professional around your area that specializes in eyebrows, it might be worth a visit to see if they can show you a few techniques...

post #195 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybean025 View Post


I wish you lived here!!! My brows seriously need some shaping, but I'm terrified to do anything to them since I've seen so many botched eyebrows... I need to pick up the tweezers rather than drop them! I'm just lucky they're light so they don't look as noticeable as darker ones. :-/

LOL! I started specializing in eyebrows (and *cough* Brazilians *cough*) a few years ago and your exactly right...I see soo many women with great hair, beautiful skin, and then I look at their eyebrows, and I'm like...Woah..

post #196 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonblossom View Post
 

I wish I could share my brows with you all! I have too much brow XD

 

My problem too! However, I do appreciate them. 

post #197 of 3075

Unpopular opinion: I don't like They're Real. I just don't. It makes my lashes SO clumpy. Worse than almost any other formula I've tried. Am I missing something here??

post #198 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzebra View Post
 

Unpopular opinion: I don't like They're Real. I just don't. It makes my lashes SO clumpy. Worse than almost any other formula I've tried. Am I missing something here??

 

I don't have any clumping issues with They're Real. Application methods, body chemistry, and other random factors can play in to how we react to different formulas, I would think. There are tons of products out there that are generally loved by all that I hate. Different strokes for different folks.

post #199 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTrix View Post
 

 

I don't have any clumping issues with They're Real. Application methods, body chemistry, and other random factors can play in to how we react to different formulas, I would think. There are tons of products out there that are generally loved by all that I hate. Different strokes for different folks.

 

Very true. I loved the Pixi mascara from last month, while everyone else seemed to dislike it! Funny how that works.

post #200 of 3075

I had no clumping issues with either of them. The pixi didn't do much for me, honestly, but it works when I want a subtle look. The elizabeth mott is decent for me, but nothing noteworthy. I guess I'm lucky with mascaras XD

post #201 of 3075
I gave my mom the Elizabeth Mott mascara (im on mascara overload at the moment and she was going to buy a new one anyways). She really liked it. She said it didn't clump and gave her good definition and lasting color. She didn't want anything lengthening or volumizing so it was perfect for what she was looking for.
post #202 of 3075

I tried the Elizabeth Mott mascara yesterday, and when I took a shower, it came off similar to the Blinc mascara, almost like I had to pull it off of my eyelashes in big chunks. Did anyone else have any thoughts on removing it?

post #203 of 3075

I have yet to open the Elizabeth Mott because I already have like 5 tubes open. ;)

post #204 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzebra View Post

Unpopular opinion: I don't like They're Real. I just don't. It makes my lashes SO clumpy. Worse than almost any other formula I've tried. Am I missing something here??
I don't like it either. I'm not a fan of mascaras that make my lashes really stiff since I usually only wash off my mascara every 2-3 days.
post #205 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzebra View Post
 

I have yet to open the Elizabeth Mott because I already have like 5 tubes open. ;)

 

I felt a need to try it because I've never used a mascara with a brush like that before. I felt like it didn't do great coverage...it didn't look bad, but it didn't give me length that I normally look for in mascara.

post #206 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenk View Post
 

I tried the Elizabeth Mott mascara yesterday, and when I took a shower, it came off similar to the Blinc mascara, almost like I had to pull it off of my eyelashes in big chunks. Did anyone else have any thoughts on removing it?

 

I use rice bran oil to remove all of my make-up. Just massage it in right over make-up and then wipe it away with a hot wash cloth. Then wash your face with a cleanser. The two step cleansing method is pretty popular in Asian skincare, and I think it does a bit job of removing all the make-up and seems gentler. I have used this with waterproof mascaras and eyeliners and it always seems to work. Just make sure you massage it into your lashes (gently).

post #207 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindzebra View Post
 

Unpopular opinion: I don't like They're Real. I just don't. It makes my lashes SO clumpy. Worse than almost any other formula I've tried. Am I missing something here??

I do not have clumping issues, but it really is not any better than any of my other mascaras. I definitely do not get lashes like it shows on the box/website. It does lengthen, but I think both my Eyeko and Elizabeth Mott do just as good or better a job. Just my opinion and my experience, I know others have great luck with it, but at least you are not alone ^_^

post #208 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJessicaMary View Post

I use rice bran oil to remove all of my make-up. Just massage it in right over make-up and then wipe it away with a hot wash cloth. Then wash your face with a cleanser. The two step cleansing method is pretty popular in Asian skincare, and I think it does a bit job of removing all the make-up and seems gentler. I have used this with waterproof mascaras and eyeliners and it always seems to work. Just make sure you massage it into your lashes (gently).
I do pretty much this same method except I use vitamin E or olive oil. Works great for waterproof/hard to remove makeup!
post #209 of 3075

I don't know how many of you guys have access to Yves Rocher, but right now my favourite daytime/subtle evening mascara is their Sexy Pulp. I'm also having a lot of fun with the crazy Avon Mega-Effects one with the torture-implement brush. It's a bit of a pain to get the hang of it, but once you're used to the brush it can get some really dramatic effects.

post #210 of 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonblossom View Post

I don't know how many of you guys have access to Yves Rocher, but right now my favourite daytime/subtle evening mascara is their Sexy Pulp. I'm also having a lot of fun with the crazy Avon Mega-Effects one with the torture-implement brush. It's a bit of a pain to get the hang of it, but once you're used to the brush it can get some really dramatic effects.
The torture brushes are my favorite! Lol. At first I hated them all, but it's easy and works soooo well with a little practice!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ipsy Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Ipsy Subscribers › Discussions › Ipsy Glam Bag: October 2013 SPOILERS discussion