or Connect
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox February 2014 (SPOILERS)

Birchbox February 2014 (SPOILERS) - Page 70

post #2071 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterazzi View Post
 

Really interesting article about Birchbox and how it's struggling to expand.  It's too bad the author didn't make any attempt to talk to people who actually like their BB.  I don't think five people is a very good sample.

 

http://ohhword.com/2014/02/12/is-birchbox-starting-to-hit-some-scaling-woes/

Here's another angle about what it takes to survive as a sub box company:

 

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/231443 & this article says BirchBox is on track to triple sales http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/229852

 

 

We all know Ipsy is for one type of customer, Birchbox is for another.

post #2072 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel11 View Post
 

 

LOL.  What a poorly sampled article.  ask a few Ipsy subscribers their opinion on Birchbox.... that tells the whole story!

iagree.gif I love my Birchbox, and now everyone around me has Birchbox and they love it too!  In fact, of the people I have turned on to BB, all but one have more than one account at BB!  If you are reading this thread BB, please know most of us love you!  (Just remember to ask the interns to pack the glass samples better next time.) marchmellow.gif(Happy snowman for my college being cancelled tomorrow too--now over ten inches of snow on the ground in TN!)

post #2073 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterazzi View Post
 

Really interesting article about Birchbox and how it's struggling to expand.  It's too bad the author didn't make any attempt to talk to people who actually like their BB.  I don't think five people is a very good sample.

 

http://ohhword.com/2014/02/12/is-birchbox-starting-to-hit-some-scaling-woes/

 

Reading that article now. This part annoys me.

 

Quote:

One particular subscription fan, who uses fashion subscription service Stitchfix religously and is one of its longest running customers, told me she tried Birchbox for awhile. The variety in each box didn’t keep her interest. She’s switched to Michelle Phan’s Ipsy instead because it sends her more makeup and “stuff that isn’t just anti-aging wrinkle cream.”

Another person trying out Birchbox and Ipsy echoed the sentiment, telling me she is considering canceling her Birchbox and prefers Ipsy because, “The products feel a little less samply and it comes together in a cute little makeup bag whereas Birchbox just comes in a box.”

 

Birchbox is probably taking on more customers as fast as it may be losing some. But it’s not ideal for a subscription e-commerce company when users start jumping ship for the competitor.

 

And what the article doesn't mention is that while Ipsy "obtains" Birchbox subscribers, Birchbox is gaining Ipsy subscribers who are stick of the cheap quality of makeup sent out. Sure Ipsy send out more makeup, including more full size, but the vast majority are "no-name brands" that uses private label manufactures so their products are sold under different labels which are made in unknown origins and may or may not be animal tested. Birchbox continues to send out higher quality products than Ipsy. What hurts Birchbox is the fact that in order to accommodate 400,000+ subscribers they have to send out a huge amount of box variations (this month it was 61 or 63 variations) and reduce the size of products sent due to the cost for the company they're working with.

 

I love Birchbox and I love Ipsy but both are vastly different in the types of products they send out as well as the quality.

 

BTW - notice you can't even comment on the article?

post #2074 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by easybreezy View Post
 

I agree the article/blog seemed under-researched and more like some random thoughts off the top of the author's head.

 

I do feel like Birchbox has had some significant issues in the past 6 months or so, compared to my first year of subscription and purchases.  Incorrect information on the website, website glitches, packing issues in the monthly boxes, packing issues in purchases, etc.  However, I feel like the variety of products in the boxes has grown over the months/years.  I purchase more from the shop now than I did when I first began subscribing...the shop has definitely expanded.

 

The Ipsy vs. Birchbox thing is a totally different subject, in my opinion.

I agree! I think that this anecdotal article really didn't give much information. Its all speculative on the BB-Business side too. Oh, and a sample of 5 people's opinions is SOOO TELLING of a company with 400,000 + subscribers. I don't like that they got into Birchbox vs. Ipsy because its not like anyone is making a person *only* choose one!

post #2075 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel11 View Post
 

 

LOL.  What a poorly sampled article.  ask a few Ipsy subscribers their opinion on Birchbox.... that tells the whole story!

Yes- I think a lot of ipsy subscribers expect it to be the same as ipsy, and it is not supposed to be.  People who love ipsy tend to want full size products, and lots of makeup- things that take forever to get through so you aren't trying to buy more right away.  Birchbox is truly a sampling service- you will get a full size every now and again, but I got a full size of the stila one step bronze in july of 2012 and I don't think I will ever get through the whole thing.  Birchbox incentivises you to buy from their shop because of the points, they count on that the majority of subscribers will use their points when they reach 100, and then spend real money to cover the rest.

 

I think most of the people who get an receive both see value in both methods.

 

I just don't trust any article like that who only interviews the unhappy people.  We had a similar issue on this thread sometime last year- someone set up a poll and sent it out to all the subscribers about what they thought about birchbox- but it was made by someone who was very unhappy with the service, so all the answers were skewed towards what was wrong with it, so a lot of people who like bb felt like it was pretty biased from the get go, not purposefully of course.

post #2076 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by camel11 View Post
 

 

LOL.  What a poorly sampled article.  ask a few Ipsy subscribers their opinion on Birchbox.... that tells the whole story

 

http://pando.com/2013/08/15/with-400000-subscribers-birchbox-expands-from-beauty-in-a-box-to-lifestyle-products/

 

That one is much better -- it actually explains to me why they are quick to hand out $10 worth of points.  They recognize their sample difficulties, but also are loathe to report a downturn in numbers.  Accordingly, they will give out money to a) keep customers and b) get customers to purchase full-size.  I think BB is an incredibly inspiring women-led business with some serious savvy.

I'd give my eyeteeth to hear someone interviewing Beauty Army subscribers...if any are left.

post #2077 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseybean025 View Post


Good to know! I'm getting these as well and my box is out for delivery along with my ipsy! Yay! Can't wait to play with all my new pretty things!


I agree. Originally I wasn't thrilled to open my box and see them but as soon as I smelled them I cheered right up. They are a great size too. I can't wait to try them out this weekend.

post #2078 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKaye View Post

I don't understand why Birchbox sent out the hair oil in glass bottles. Isn't the packaging for the full size plastic? Why would they package it differently, cost perhaps? It just doesn't make sense because there are wayyyy too many people who have recieved broken samples.

 



This might be completely wrong, but I always thought it was the brand who created the samples and Birchbox just distributes them. So, for those underwhelmed by the Smashbox sample and the Big Easy peelie, it's not actually Birchbox who is to blame for the size of the sample.

The same would go for the glass bottle, however in that case I think it was really thoughtless of Birchbox to send a tiny glass bottle in a large box that can bounce around and ultimately break. They've sent tiny glass perfume samples in a cardboard pillow pack before... They should have utilized something similar for the hair oil. I'm shocked that someone didn't put more thought into that.
post #2079 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel S View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKaye View Post

I don't understand why Birchbox sent out the hair oil in glass bottles. Isn't the packaging for the full size plastic? Why would they package it differently, cost perhaps? It just doesn't make sense because there are wayyyy too many people who have recieved broken samples.

 



This might be completely wrong, but I always thought it was the brand who created the samples and Birchbox just distributes them. So, for those underwhelmed by the Smashbox sample and the Big Easy peelie, it's not actually Birchbox who is to blame for the size of the sample.

The same would go for the glass bottle, however in that case I think it was really thoughtless of Birchbox to send a tiny glass bottle in a large box that can bounce around and ultimately break. They've sent tiny glass perfume samples in a cardboard pillow pack before... They should have utilized something similar for the hair oil. I'm shocked that someone didn't put more thought into that.

 

Birchbox does chose what goes in the boxes though, they could have easily included another item in the box.  I know that the peelie and the card are extras, but the peelie as least is the saddest extra I have ever seen.  At least the shadows can be used once, enough to get a feel for them to leave a review.  But how do you review a product that won't even cover you whole face one time?

post #2080 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRoe View Post

 

But that Camille Beckman-love love love!!!

 

Oh yes. I received this in December in Morelia and instantly purchased a full size which I NEVER do with hand creams. Never. Last week I was going to purchase a second tube to keep on my desk at work but that 1 (of the 3) scent was no longer listed. I was so sad thinking they may have dropped it from the shop but when I checked again yesterday all 3 are now showing as out of stock. I put myself on the waitlist so I can get another as soon as they come back in.

post #2081 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone View Post

Birchbox does chose what goes in the boxes though, they could have easily included another item in the box.  I know that the peelie and the card are extras, but the peelie as least is the saddest extra I have ever seen.  At least the shadows can be used once, enough to get a feel for them to leave a review.  But how do you review a product that won't even cover you whole face one time?

I agree with you. Those type of peelie samples belong in magazines.
post #2082 of 2868

Here is a big gripe about newsgistics:  they are so unreliable about updating tracking!  I feel like my box just disappears until it is received by USPS.

 

ETA: my box left Elizabeth, NJ three days ago and has not been seen since. (It's only three hours from me)

post #2083 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone View Post

 

Birchbox does chose what goes in the boxes though, they could have easily included another item in the box.  I know that the peelie and the card are extras, but the peelie as least is the saddest extra I have ever seen.  At least the shadows can be used once, enough to get a feel for them to leave a review.  But how do you review a product that won't even cover you whole face one time?

 



I completely agree the peelie is pathetic... However I still I don't think it was Birchbox's fault. Even if they had included another sample in the box, people would've still complained about the peelie (b/c it was pretty much pointless).

From what I've seen/heard, a 4 sample box is not unheard of. Basically that is what a lot of us got this month, plus a peelie/cardboard extra. I think we were all just really hyped about this Us Weekly collaboration and expected a lot out of it. Myself included!
post #2084 of 2868

Deleted


Edited by Wida - 2/13/14 at 1:49pm
post #2085 of 2868

box 2 came in.

 

no broken glass but oil spilled EVERY WHERE.

post #2086 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterazzi View Post

Really interesting article about Birchbox and how it's struggling to expand.  It's too bad the author didn't make any attempt to talk to people who actually like their BB.  I don't think five people is a very good sample.

http://ohhword.com/2014/02/12/is-birchbox-starting-to-hit-some-scaling-woes/

This article seems pretty poorly written. Like they had an idea for a headline and found a few opinions that fit that headline.
post #2087 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDawnP View Post
 

 

Oh yes. I received this in December in Morelia and instantly purchased a full size which I NEVER do with hand creams. Never. Last week I was going to purchase a second tube to keep on my desk at work but that 1 (of the 3) scent was no longer listed. I was so sad thinking they may have dropped it from the shop but when I checked again yesterday all 3 are now showing as out of stock. I put myself on the waitlist so I can get another as soon as they come back in.

Never fear IMD-I tagged Camille Beckman on one of my IG posts last week and they actually responded. I then wrote back and told them that BB was out of Morelia Monarch. Camille Beckman responded again telling me that Birchbox placed an order last week and that stock should be back up soon!! 

post #2088 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post
 

box 2 came in.

 

no broken glass but oil spilled EVERY WHERE.

Yep, my bottle wasn't properly closed. Or it bounced off of the Ruby Wing nail polish for so long that it loosened itself on the journey to my home...Hellloooo-pillow packs??!! Especially with 2 glass items in 1 box...

post #2089 of 2868
Quote:

Originally Posted by gemstone View Post

 

Yes- I think a lot of ipsy subscribers expect it to be the same as ipsy, and it is not supposed to be.  People who love ipsy tend to want full size products, and lots of makeup- things that take forever to get through so you aren't trying to buy more right away.  Birchbox is truly a sampling service- you will get a full size every now and again, but I got a full size of the stila one step bronze in july of 2012 and I don't think I will ever get through the whole thing.  Birchbox incentivises you to buy from their shop because of the points, they count on that the majority of subscribers will use their points when they reach 100, and then spend real money to cover the rest.

 

I think most of the people who get an receive both see value in both methods.

 

I just don't trust any article like that who only interviews the unhappy people.  We had a similar issue on this thread sometime last year- someone set up a poll and sent it out to all the subscribers about what they thought about birchbox- but it was made by someone who was very unhappy with the service, so all the answers were skewed towards what was wrong with it, so a lot of people who like bb felt like it was pretty biased from the get go, not purposefully of course.

 

I honestly think this is the best summary of the differences between Birchbox and Ipsy that I've seen thus far.  I've seen a lot of people talking about how they don't like the points system Ipsy has (don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with them!), but I really think you hit the nail on the head with this explanation! tonton.gif hehe

post #2090 of 2868
The cap was off of one of my BP oils, huge oily mess in the box. They're sending a whole new box yay! I wonder how many they're having to resend with that terrible packaging idea?
post #2091 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
 

 

Yep- this happened to me several months ago.


Did you receive the box shown (the same as the box that was shipped earlier) or a different box?  I was going to put the polish and pores no more up for trade but I wanted to make sure that I am getting that box.

post #2092 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorgb View Post
 

 

I honestly think this is the best summary of the differences between Birchbox and Ipsy that I've seen thus far.  I've seen a lot of people talking about how they don't like the points system Ipsy has (don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with them!), but I really think you hit the nail on the head with this explanation! tonton.gif hehe

But I would add to it that people who stick with Ipsy care less about customer service, while Birchbox subscribers appreciate good customer service. I actually fall into both categories--I want lots of makeup in larger sizes for fun, but I want to try out quality products I might buy. If Ipsy offered better customer service, I wouldn't think about unsubbing, well, other than for monetary issues, which I have right now in droves. But because of how Ipsy screws up and then tries to lie their way out of it, I'm really feeling the urge to cancel at the moment. Compare how Birchbox has responded to all the broken bottles. Night and Day!!!

post #2093 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
 

Yes- I think a lot of ipsy subscribers expect it to be the same as ipsy, and it is not supposed to be.  People who love ipsy tend to want full size products, and lots of makeup- things that take forever to get through so you aren't trying to buy more right away.  Birchbox is truly a sampling service- you will get a full size every now and again, but I got a full size of the stila one step bronze in july of 2012 and I don't think I will ever get through the whole thing.  Birchbox incentivises you to buy from their shop because of the points, they count on that the majority of subscribers will use their points when they reach 100, and then spend real money to cover the rest.

 

I think most of the people who get an receive both see value in both methods.

 

I just don't trust any article like that who only interviews the unhappy people.  We had a similar issue on this thread sometime last year- someone set up a poll and sent it out to all the subscribers about what they thought about birchbox- but it was made by someone who was very unhappy with the service, so all the answers were skewed towards what was wrong with it, so a lot of people who like bb felt like it was pretty biased from the get go, not purposefully of course.

I get four separate subscription boxes and love each of them for different reasons. None of them offer the same things. At first, I was really hesitant to try Birchbox because the negativity from Ipsy subscribers and I'd seen dozens of videos with constant "foil packets" but then I saw something that changed my mind and I saw it here on MUT: someone had decanted a foil packet sample into one of those little lip makeup pot things. I realized that I needed to stop with the Birchbox vs Ipsy comparison because they are totally different subs. Since I've started getting BB I've noticed big time how different they are. I get Ipsy because I do love the full size makeup stuff. I get Birchbox because Birchbox sends more hair and skin stuff (and I have seen them send tea and chocolate;two of my absolute favorite things). Plus, a lot of the samples are the cutest little mini things and I love the cute mini things! And my other two I love for different reasons as well. That article was ridiculous. You can't write an article based on a small sample like that when the people all seem to be disappointed customers. So I totally get your point. And I'm rambling now so I'm gonna shut up. 

post #2094 of 2868
My BP oil leaked allll over the box. At least the tea was wrapped in foils so those were safe. They're also super tasty!
post #2095 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsgirl View Post

The cap was off of one of my BP oils, huge oily mess in the box. They're sending a whole new box yay! I wonder how many they're having to resend with that terrible packaging idea?

They are sending me a new box as well!

post #2096 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Hicks View Post
 

But I would add to it that people who stick with Ipsy care less about customer service, while Birchbox subscribers appreciate good customer service. I actually fall into both categories--I want lots of makeup in larger sizes for fun, but I want to try out quality products I might buy. If Ipsy offered better customer service, I wouldn't think about unsubbing, well, other than for monetary issues, which I have right now in droves. But because of how Ipsy screws up and then tries to lie their way out of it, I'm really feeling the urge to cancel at the moment. Compare how Birchbox has responded to all the broken bottles. Night and Day!!!

 

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of that.  I don't actually get either Birchbox or Ipsy right now but I'm following both to see which one I want to try more, so thats why I found the breakdown really helpful.  I do think you have a good point too and its definitely something to take into consideration.  You shouldn't have to put up with being unhappy when you're the one paying for the boxes!

post #2097 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsgirl View Post

The cap was off of one of my BP oils, huge oily mess in the box. They're sending a whole new box yay! I wonder how many they're having to resend with that terrible packaging idea?

 



From the sounds of it, A TON! I wonder if they will do something to ensure it doesn't happen a second time with the new box??
post #2098 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

My BP oil leaked allll over the box. At least the tea was wrapped in foils so those were safe. They're also super tasty!

 

Harney & Sons tea is terrific!  It's all we drink around here.

 

I was lucky with my liquid items.  My (third) box came with the perfume and BP oil in the pillow pack.  And I got the OPI in purple!

 

Still waiting for boxes 1 and 2.  They were supposed to be delivered today, but Mother Nature apparently didn't want me to have them just yet.

post #2099 of 2868
I found that I've been discovering my favorite teas from birchbox (this one, Kusmi, etc ) more often than I discover a favorite new beauty product!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennm149 View Post

Harney & Sons tea is terrific!  It's all we drink around here.

I was lucky with my liquid items.  My (third) box came with the perfume and BP oil in the pillow pack.  And I got the OPI in purple!

Still waiting for boxes 1 and 2.  They were supposed to be delivered today, but Mother Nature apparently didn't want me to have them just yet.
post #2100 of 2868
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobainrls View Post
 

They are sending me a new box as well!


I hope this issue doesn't happen with my box...I was suppose to get it yesterday, but due to the snow it was not delivered. It was sent back to another state instead, which makes no sense to me...I'm scared that with all of the added travel my little glass bottle will be broken. :icon_roll

 

On a positive  note, it does look like Birchbox is great at sending out a replacement box/item. I'm glad to see their customer service seems awesome, this is only my second box with them.

  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birchbox Subscribers
MakeupTalk.com › Groups › Birchbox Subscribers › Discussions › Birchbox February 2014 (SPOILERS)