Chat thread for the Urban Decay Naked palette shortage ...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetchick

Beauty Blogger
Reaction score
The more I read about this, the more I feel 1. lucky to have gotten one, and 2. angry that UD is jerking people around like this. These are some of the things I have been reading about while following up on this:

Urban Decay has had stores pull the palettes they had out for sale.

Sales associates at Sephora and Ulta have been hoarding the palettes for themselves (to resell I assume)

This palette is NOT limited edition, yet its like trying to find a frickin' unicorn. I can't figure out why Urban Decay has purposefully (in my opinion) cause this hysteria for this product. I can only assume it will get worse towards Christmas. Has this whole debacle changed your opinion of the company? I know it has for me. I am not sure if I will dump them yet, but it is something I am considering if things don't change.

You wanna dump them because of this? LOL ok...I am annoyed about not being able to get this damn palette so I might just buy Too faced natural eye kit instead because I can't wait anymore. I need a nude palette

It's not just this, They have had some sketchy customer service practices recently. Saying that the Alice in Wonderland palette was sold out, then bringing it out again in some expensive package bundle.

Im not interested in the palettes because I have more neutrals than I can possibly use.   I think they are just trying to make $.  I think if people are going crazy over a palette they need to have their priorities checked. I only buy LE stuff if I can and especially if I can resell.  Otherwise going nuts over something that is permanent is kind of silly.

Not with the Naked palette but something I noticed today involving the BoS III. I was at a Sephora at the mall today and noticed they had BoS III on display but they just had the tester and one out to buy. Since I had already bought the palette I was looking at the other products in the display. A girl walked up and freaked because that is what she wanted and there was only ONE left so she grabbed it gloating to her friend that she got the last one in the entire store. She buys it and walks out the store. As soon as she leaves a sales associate walks up with another single BoS and replaced the one the girl had just bought.

Is this a new thing? Only putting one of a highly wanted product on the shelf. I know when I bought my BoS II last year the same Sephora had a lot on the display and even more on an endcap type of thing.

I was interested in getting one next year after my no-buy is done, but I'm so tired of the mass hysteria and hoopla over this product that I'm pretty much over it. They're probably trying to see a massive amount of them for Christmas so I think they'll have them restocked in time by then.

your more likely to buy if you think its the last one so your last chance so as much as its bad ethics its good sales mentality which, is what they are there for.

Originally Posted by PineappleChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not with the Naked palette but something I noticed today involving the BoS III. I was at a Sephora at the mall today and noticed they had BoS III on display but they just had the tester and one out to buy. Since I had already bought the palette I was looking at the other products in the display. A girl walked up and freaked because that is what she wanted and there was only ONE left so she grabbed it gloating to her friend that she got the last one in the entire store. She buys it and walks out the store. As soon as she leaves a sales associate walks up with another single BoS and replaced the one the girl had just bought.

Is this a new thing? Only putting one of a highly wanted product on the shelf. I know when I bought my BoS II last year the same Sephora had a lot on the display and even more on an endcap type of thing.
Oh yeah, they are pulling crap with that BOS III as well. They angered a lot of people when they released it on their site, only to be sold out within ten minutes. I just don't have as good a feeling about the company as I used to. I am not sure if their tactic is working with the BOS III. It hasn't sold out yet, and there doesn't seem to be a race for it.

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you seen how much it's being sold for on ebay? It's crazy!

Yep! I don't know why people pay those prices instead of waiting.

It's really crazy, and it has added more weight on the plate. I'm happy i got the Naked palette, but this whole thing is disappointing.

It's even worse here as it is LE, if i hadn't found a nice helpful saleslady i'd still be searching for it. I wonder why i subscribed to that newsletter, i never received information saying it's in stock on the website. For something that's supposedly permanent, it's a bad joke.

Originally Posted by sarah_elizabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

your more likely to buy if you think its the last one so your last chance so as much as its bad ethics its good sales mentality which, is what they are there for.
What would have happened if someone else walked up right after the girl walked away and saw the shelf empty? A good number of people would see that and assume there is no more left and not ask if there was anymore in the back. How is that a good sales mentality? That would be a missed sale and any money in the sales industry is better than no money. The managers at my store are always pushing us to have the shelves filled and any empty spots we have are stuff we genuinely don't have in the backroom.

As for the Naked palette, I lucked out with getting it. I had originally gone to the mall closer to my house to look at the Fabulous Felines collection that had come out that day. After deciding that I didn't want anything I went downstairs to the Sephora. They were just putting out all the palettes in the display. I made sure to get one ASAP. The SA told me they had just gotten them in. I will add that they were filling up the entire display as well as putting some on a stand alone display. None of this only put one out at a time sales tactic.

I agree it's strange tactics, imo filled shelves always looked better than empty shelves.

Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was interested in getting one next year after my no-buy is done, but I'm so tired of the mass hysteria and hoopla over this product that I'm pretty much over it. They're probably trying to see a massive amount of them for Christmas so I think they'll have them restocked in time by then.

I agree with your entire post! The craziness over this palette is just too much and over the top! It's just a bunch of neutral colors?!?! What's the big deal??

LOL!!! I was so interested, but the swatches are meh... I find alot of the shades too light/ashy looking and the whole shortage is entirely off putting. So I'm not interested. I'll build my neutrals slowly and expensively. But at least the colors I pick would work with my skintone.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL!!! I was so interested, but the swatches are meh... I find alot of the shades too light/ashy looking and the whole shortage is entirely off putting. So I'm not interested. I'll build my neutrals slowly and expensively. But at least the colors I pick would work with my skintone.

Off topic but I love seeing your signature
smile.gif
) Michael Jackson <3

I think it is very odd that this palette is sold out evrywhere in the USA and in the UK is easy to find on both websites and shops. I have both the naked and the BOS III and got them in England so I cannot believe there is a production problem, it has to do with the distribution and apparently there are different rules for different countries!

I agree that the prices on ebay are crazy but did you have a look at UK sellers? They have lower prices and ship worldwide so that most of those palettes are probably coming back to the USA anyway!

Yes, but capitalisme is about trust, when you see salespeople behave dishonestly you do not want to do buisniss with them, because You know you can not trust them.

Originally Posted by sarah_elizabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by swedgal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it is very odd that this palette is sold out evrywhere in the USA and in the UK is easy to find on both websites and shops. I have both the naked and the BOS III and got them in England so I cannot believe there is a production problem, it has to do with the distribution and apparently there are different rules for different countries!

I agree that the prices on ebay are crazy but did you have a look at UK sellers? They have lower prices and ship worldwide so that most of those palettes are probably coming back to the USA anyway!

What sellers? Website?

And those sellers on ebay are so lame. They write stuff like SOLD OUT, LIMITED in the item title :/

Back