Mineral cream foundations and liquids

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On the hunt for something less drying than mineral powder for the winter time for my dry skin. I have found several brands if anyone has info on them.  My color for reference would be Lancome Buff.

Lauren Brookes cream foundation- looks really good and has no ingredients that may bother my sensitive dry skin. It doesnt say if they ship international. They also removed titanium from their loose minerals because of respiratory health concerns but replaced it with zinc oxide which seems well meaning but naive as it is pretty similar anyways. The concern should be the application as it could just be the fact breathing in a powder daily is not good in general when it's not meant to go inside the body. You can get around it by used pressed powder or using a sponge to pat onto the face. Otherwise I never heard of this brand.

Monave Mousse, Cream or Liquid foundation- seems pretty decent except the cream contains borax which has irritated my face when in other products but the formulas seem very good and my face will tolerate it. I just could not find a color match in the loose and I am not crazy about the handling charge on top of shipping nor am I sure I can find a match in the non loose products.

Mad MInerals liquid foundation- I tried the liquid but it W1 was too light so I might try W3. The price is good but I could not get it to blend well. I shall try again as the price is very good and I always had great service from them.

Aubrey NIcole and Emani also have liquids too. Getting tired so I will add more later on what I found.

Thanks, keep them coming !

You know i'm not surprised you find borax irritating, i have a book with recipes for homemade cleaning products and they said inside borax was to be used with precaution for that same reason.

My powder facial cleanser has borax and washing soda in it.  It's not irritating.  I also use borax to neutralize and thicken my homemade liquid soap.  I don't really know why its in the foundation tho. 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My powder facial cleanser has borax and washing soda in it.  It's not irritating.  I also use borax to neutralize and thicken my homemade liquid soap.  I don't really know why its in the foundation tho. 
borax is used a an preservative and can be irritating in cosmetics according to my Paula Begoun book. It has a pH of 9-11. it is a fungicide, bactericide, disinfectant so that is probably why it's used in natural laundry products. and it does irritate my face.

I checked out the Aubrey Nicole foundation and it does look promising though it has silk in it. I had a reaction from EM Silk Dust so I try to stay away from silk. The ingredients look good overall but I am concerned about the kaolin being drying.

The Emani has no ingredient listing on the site but I have seen it in person and I vetoed it cos I didnt find a color match. As far as I can remember about the ingredients I dont recall anything that would be a problem for my skin.

Jane Iredale looks like a better choice with a better range of color options but it's really pricey. I read mixed reviews about the suspended particles not blending with the liquid and it being gritty.

Sapphos Cosmetics is also pricey considering it doesnt come in a pump bottle and there is a limited color choice. The creator is a makeup artist that worked on the L word and on Twilight.

I am thinking about Lauren Brookes, Jane Iredale or Mad Minerals depending on my budget and finding  a color match.

Thanks. 

I have not used liquid foundations in 15+ years.  At that time, I was not reading ingredients.  Borax is also used as a skin softner and in conjuction with beeswax, it is used as an emulsifier.  Looking at the ingredients lists, I think this is more its purpose, it may have the benefits of being a preservative agent.

Liquid Matte Foundation: Distilled Water, Hazelnut Oil, jojoba oil, sun-bleached beeswax, Sodium Borate, Xanthan Gum, Essential Oils of Listea Cubeba, Ylang Ylang and Myrrh. Color:Mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, ultramarine blue, May Contain: zinc oxide, micronized zinc oxide, silica, kaolin clay. 

Cream Foundation:: Organic sunflower oil, Organic Soybean Oil, Jojoba, Purified Water, Beeswax,  Organic Aloe Leaf Juice, Chammomile Extract Vitamin E (rice-based), Borax, Essential Oils of Rosewood, Lavender, Wildcrafted Rosemary. Mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, ultramarine blue, May Contain: zinc oxide, micronized zinc oxide, silica kaolin clay. 

Back