How much do you spend on gifts for the holidays?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am reallllly trying to cut back this year.  Every year I say this and in turn still turns around and spends loads of cash on gifts for Christmas.  I am really going to cut down this year because in truth and in fact, I just can't afford it.    What does your bill come January look like?  Do you have tonnes of people to buy for?

I am going to spend around $15-20 each gift and buy to the family and best friend only.

I´m a student, so the only people who get presents are my husband, mom, brother and my best friend. And those gifts never exceed $40 each.

One time, my husband and I have also decided not to get each other x-mas presents and that was perfectly fine. Same with my brother, he usually doesn´t like getting gifts from me because then he has to actually think of something to get me in return lol

And, I´m not gonna overdraw my account to get someone a gift, and I don´t expect or want others to spend a lot of money on presents for me. I like doing nice things for people or get them the occasional little gift...but I don´t want to be totally stressed out before the holidays because I have to get gifts for like 20 friends & family members

My family, mom, dad, brother and sister in law get a present, i would say no more than $40 each too. Gathering around the table for a meal is also a gift, so no need to go bankrupt.

I'm not entirely sure.  I usually spend about $100 for my mom and dad and $40-60 for my sister and brother-in-law and about $20/nephew x3.  My kids, about $150ea x2 and $200 for my husband.  My son and daughter will by their 3 cousins a christmas gift (each or together as they are brothers) as well.  My husband and I make Christmas dinner for everyone at our house so that is also our gift to my family as well. 

whew...this year is gonna be a lil rough cause neither of us are employed right now, so it'll probably be pretty tight. i have to buy for my stepdaughter, a lil something for my mom & dad, and something for the hubby!! we'll probably forfeit gifts for each other this year as well just cause money has been so tight.
frown.gif
hopefully things will start lookin up next year for us...

Depends on how much I'm making, if I can I get everyone whatever they want (my immediate family only), but if I'm unemployed like I am at the moment then some $20 dollar item will suffice.

Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on how much I'm making, if I can I get everyone whatever they want (my immediate family only), but if I'm unemployed like I am at the moment then some $20 dollar item will suffice.

oh no!  What happened to your job at Johnny Rockets?

I have virtually no one to get a gift for.  I usually just sent flowers to my parents and my boyfriend's parents and that's it!  So around $100.

im not spending to much this year, i only have two people to buy for though my mom and my boyfriend .. so we will  see

i plan on getting my bf a cool dragon statue some new clothes , a dvd , some stuff for his stocking

and my mom some candles , jewellery , candy and stuff for her stocking

Depends on the sales. I can usually keep it pretty frugal. Since gifts are a small part of our holiday, we don't go overboard.

i always say that im going to cut back but I never end up doing it. This year though I seriously think I'm going to. I have hubby, sister, niece, mother, mother & father in-law, sisters in-law, grandma in-law, grandpa, and an aunt.. whew!

I had budgeted for $50 each for my brother, his girlfriend, my BFF, and my dad.

$200 for my boyfriend.

The $20 each for 3 co-workers.

Do you think I am overdoing it? Honestly?? I do not have a lot of $ at all. This is all actually because I have an extra paycheck in December that

I was going to use to pay off my credit card damage from all the gifts!

I had to quit because I'm planning a move now. I quit a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted by xjackie83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh no!  What happened to your job at Johnny Rockets?

I have virtually no one to get a gift for.  I usually just sent flowers to my parents and my boyfriend's parents and that's it!  So around $100.

This year I am planning on spending roughly $200 on my bf, $100 for both my parents combined, $25 for 2 friends, and maybe $30 for my bf's family. Soo... a little out of my price range but I love giving gifts, so I can't help myself most of the time! Ha
smile.gif

I have five people to buy for. Brother, Sister in law, 2 nephews and neighbour. I spend about $25.00 each. 

I usually keep it to $100 each for the kids, four of them all grown. Occasionally ive gone over that for game systems and such but then thats usually a "shared" gift. Like the Wii or Xbox.

Sometimes hubby and I exchange gifts...sometimes not. I'm getting him a kindle this year, just because he loves to read, and kindle books are way cheaper.

I buy for my mom and step father, usually about $100 combined. And that's it!

We have a huge family, so we usually spend around $2,000 by the time it's over and done with. We are moving in the next month though, so that will be significantly cut back this year! 

I have a huge family and so does my hubby,,I fork out the money for my family..nothing over $30 each person..maybe alittle more for the little nieces and nephews.  For my hubby side he does the forking of $ as we are going over to his country for christmas so def have to get gifts.  I usually get a jewellery set for my mum in law say abt $100.  Its not that Ive got lots of money but december is bonus time so that will be used up for the christmas celebrations and gifts.   

Latest posts

Back