Should I Throw It All Out?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I have been missing from this website for at least 2 years now! The problem I have now is this. I used to wear a full face of makeup everyday. Ive accumulated tons of products... my extra large train case is completly full.

Over the past couple years wearing that much makeup was no longer as important to me. Many days I go without any makeup at all. I still love makeup and I still love putting on makeup. Ive just had a rough couple of years where it just didnt matter as much. I still got all dolled up for special occasions... about 1 to 3 times a month.

So now I have so many products that have just been sitting and they are barely used. I know all lipsticks and lip glosses are garbage now. I dont hold on to mascara either. But its breaking my heart thinking of parting with some of my favorite shadows and liners. Not to mention how much all that stuff cost!

How long do you think is safe to hold on to eyeshadow, pencil eyeliner, lipliners, liquid liners, blush, and foundation powders?

These are the products I would like to save most but everything is at least a year old. Some have not been touched for a couple years or more.

I have recently cleaned all my brushes and want to start wearing my makeup again. If these items are still good and safe to keep is there any way I could freshen them up to make them like new again? I was thinking along the lines of sharpening all the pencils and going over the powder products with alcohol to sanitize them. I dont know if those are good ideas but they are all I can think of...

In the end I will probably end up throwing away a lot of things... and its ok because theres always new items that are better or just as nice. But I do have a few beloved items I want to save... Chanel quads, UD palettes, MAC shadows, Too Faced blush, Guerlain foundation powder...

Let me know what you ladies think I should do! Is my makeup still safe to use and will the quality still be there... or should I just start over.

Thanks for reading all this!

You are back!!! I have been wondering about you. Yay!
smile.gif

If I were you, I would toss:

Lipglosses that smell like they have gone bad

Lipsticks that smell like they have gone bad

Any foundations

Any cream blushes

Any cream eyeshadows that look or smell like they have gone bad

All mascaras

Basically, I am big on not putting old foundations or cream blushes on my skin, and old mascara on my eyes. Everything else I would keep if it looked, smelled, and worked fine. Especially powder products. I would keep those for ten years plus as long as they were still going strong lol.

If its all powder then I would keep what i definitely want to use in the future.  Otherwise I would try to swap or sell the other stuff. I know I would toss out glosses and mascara.  I would check the lipsticks to make sure they dont smell weird.  Otherwise I would just take what i REALLY want and too/swap/sell or raok to someone.

Hi and welcome back!

I am by no means an expert here but I think you should not sanitize any product with alcohol, it would probably mess them up and then you just must toss the stuff. I would throw away the lip products for sure or the products you applied with your fingers. About foundation I guess it depends on the packaging and the way you applied it, if it has a pump and/or you always used a clean brush you might still be able to use it but check the color first, it might be that some substance oxidized and then you just have to toss it.

I would feel safe with the powder products specially if you always applied them with a clean brush.

Hi and welcome back!!! I've heard that eye shadows and blushes should be ok max 2 years. I have some products like that myself that I need to seriously go through and toss. If in doubt, I would toss it. I know I have some eye shadows that I'm not sure how long I've had them and I'm going to toss them. 

Keep anything where the quality is till good. Any eyeshadows that are crumbling need to be tossed as well as lipstick that no longer have slip. Any old mascara or liquid liners should go too.

Thanks ladies. Having a sale on stuff I can part with sounds like a great idea too.

Thanks for the welcome backs and remember you too internetchick
smile.gif
You told me about Curl Keeper and I still use it every time I do my hair! Amazing product.

I think Im going to hold on to the few shadows and pencils I love and I probably should start over with the rest. Its a great reason to start buying new makeup too
smile.gif

And Ive learned another lesson too... I guess I was a bit of a makeup hoarder. This time around Ill try not to buy too much... I would hate to be in the same situation again in a couple years. Its really kind of heart breaking.

Originally Posted by Killah Kitty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks ladies. Having a sale on stuff I can part with sounds like a great idea too.

Thanks for the welcome backs and remember you too internetchick
smile.gif
You told me about Curl Keeper and I still use it every time I do my hair! Amazing product.

I think Im going to hold on to the few shadows and pencils I love and I probably should start over with the rest. Its a great reason to start buying new makeup too
smile.gif

And Ive learned another lesson too... I guess I was a bit of a makeup hoarder. This time around Ill try not to buy too much... I would hate to be in the same situation again in a couple years. Its really kind of heart breaking.
i was a makeup hoarder as well. i used to spend about $400 / month on makeup at mac, sephora, ulta, target ... anywhere! but i havent bought makeup in almost 2 years [besides my everyday essentials] and i am now just starting to finish up a sample size mineral eyeshadow and my first lipstick and first blush. lol. EVER. 

One of my myth lipsticks I had for over a year and it was still the same after all that time?

Have you ever broken out or had an allergic reaction or infection from using a product that was older? If so then I´d be more careful and toss liquid & cream products.

I have never experienced any of the above, so I don´t throw anything out unless it looks or smells nasty. Lip glosses & mascaras are the first things to go bad of course, so I don´t keep those for years. My mom however has the weird habit of using my old mascaras until they are completely bone-dry. I swear, she uses mascaras that are like 3 years old! She never had an eye infection though.

I have never thrown away any eye shadow, blush etc just because it was old. In fact, I just recently re-discovered a MUFE foundation I had in the back of a drawer. It looks, feels and smells just like it did when I bought it...6 years ago!

If I listened to all the rules about when to throw out a certain product, my collection would be half the size it is. To me that would be a waste of money as I never had any issues with using products that are past their expiration date

Thanks again everyone! Its great to see so many of the ladies I remember still here.

I know what you mean breathless... I had a sample size Sephora lipgloss that I used nearly every day and it still took a couple months to finish that one tiny tube.

Originally Posted by Tony-admin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was it really that long?  2 years?

Yes I think so! Where does all that time go so fast?

Im so glad to see MUT is still going good as ever and love the new lay out. Well it may not be new... but its new to me.

Latest posts

Back