Re-Decorating The Bedroom ;)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My SO and I are going to re-decorate and paint our bedroom. I want it to be guyish and manly, but sexy too.

I was thinking blood red and black with a gothic theme, similar to this red....

With Black trim and doors. What do you think? Any ideas on how to decorate? All suggestions are welcome
smile.gif

We are getting all new furniture too.Also since my SO is Welsh I am going to paint a large dragon on the wall next to our bed. 

I was also thinking one or two of these over our bed for a canopy...

I had one of those nets from Ikea over our bed, it collects dust.  After I took it down to clean it, I never put it up again.

i think those nets would be good to keep the stinkbugs jumping on top of you when you sleep.   they are harmless but if they jump on you , you definitely feel it and it freaks you out!  (sorry got diverted)

if you both like those colors go for it!

Originally Posted by Darla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think those nets would be good to keep the stinkbugs jumping on top of you when you sleep.   they are harmless but if they jump on you , you definitely feel it and it freaks you out!  (sorry got diverted)

if you both like those colors go for it!
Maybe its because there are no stink bugs inside that I didn't put it back up.  I should put some up for mosquitos.  They are hiding in inside now that its cooling down at night.  I'd go more for velvet curtains.

Lol, velvet curtains would also be more gothic !
wink.gif

Be careful with red, it's a warm and strong color. So if you want your bedroom to be cosy and relaxing, i wouldn't paint the walls in this color.

The net can be a good idea to protect you from mosquitoes. I'd use one too should i go for an indian decoration.

Red could make the room cave-like and small and somewhat suffocating and clastophobic for those that are not comfortable being in small quarters.  Red also fires up emotions, makes people irritable and maybe incite more fights in the bedroom.  A friend of mine painted their guest room red to prevent their guests from outstaying their welcome.  It is a gothic look but it may not be one that will last the test of time in decorating. 

My preference would lean towards dark gray and navy blue for a masculine look, it will also be more relaxing. 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had one of those nets from Ikea over our bed, it collects dust.  After I took it down to clean it, I never put it up again.
Very true about the dust, I hadn't thought about that. I am an OCD clean freak and the dust collecting would drive me crazy. Maybe it will only be a tempoary thing, until they came down for cleaning.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lol, velvet curtains would also be more gothic !
wink.gif

Be careful with red, it's a warm and strong color. So if you want your bedroom to be cosy and relaxing, i wouldn't paint the walls in this color.

The net can be a good idea to protect you from mosquitoes. I'd use one too should i go for an indian decoration.

I like the idea of big heavy velvet curtains! I love to sleep in the dark, velvet would look very cool. Thanks for the input!!

Red could make the room cave-like and small and somewhat suffocating and clastophobic for those that are not comfortable being in small quarters.  Red also fires up emotions, makes people irritable and maybe incite more fights in the bedroom.  A friend of mine painted their guest room red to prevent their guests from outstaying their welcome.  It is a gothic look but it may not be one that will last the test of time in decorating. 

My preference would lean towards dark gray and navy blue for a masculine look, it will also be more relaxing. 

I know that red is a very dominate colour, and increases appitite. I had not thought about the effect it may have on the emotions. This is a big issue for me, as I do not want the colours of our decor to influence our emotions. Theres enough stress from the outside! LoL Thanks so much for bringing up that point divadoll. I will be taking this into consideration, and will venture out to look at alternatives. Gray and Blue may be very nice, and I could add a maroon bedspread or the like for the red.

We are going to get Black throw rugs, since the flooring is hardwood right now. We just got some new lights....

Track lighting, what do you think?

We are also getting a large black leather headboard for our bed.

There are 5 lights in total. 2 on the other side. We put them on a dimmer switch, so it adds to the mood.
smile.gif

My SO doesn't care if I paint the room pink, he says its up to me. So I want to decorate it for him, and make it masculine and heavy. That is why I had chose to go for a medival or gothic theme. Heavy blacks, leather, iron roding. I thought a deep blood red would be very cool with this style. We tend to spend 90% of our time in the bedroom.........hehe, not just doing that!
wink.gif
We live with his mother and so we spend alot of time in the privacy of our bedroom with our laptops and such.

I want something that is warm enough to spend our time in, but not too strong that it plays with our emotions.

Any suggestions or ideas are always welcomed.
smile.gif

Given your living arrangments, the last thing you want is a small cave like room to spend most of your time in.  You'd soon feel clastophobic and stir crazy.  Blues, grays and some black would be nice and relaxing and if done correctly, you'll also make the room feel bigger.  Orange is actually what stirs the appetite.  Red will stir aggression. Pink is soothing to start but the red eventually aggrevate the occupants of that room.  Make sure you pick a satin or flat sheen paint as well.  Eggshell or Semi-gloss or higher would reflect and also make the room small. 

What power do various colors have in home decorating? Their strength might surprise you. Some clues:

• Pink: soothes; promotes affability and affection.

• Yellow: expands the space, cheers your spirit; increases energy.

• Black: disciplines, authorizes, strengthens what's around it; encourages independence.

• White: purifies, energizes, unifies; in combination, makes all other colors stronger.

• Orange: cheers, commands; stimulates appetites and conversation.

• Red: empowers, stimulates, dramatizes; symbolizes passion.

• Green: balances, normalizes, refreshes; encourages emotional growth.

• Purple: comforts, spiritualizes; creates mystery and draws out intuition.

• Blue: relaxes, refreshes, cools; produces tranquil feelings and peaceful moods.

— Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Decorating Book (Meredith Books, $34.95).

I like the track light.  It'd go with my decor too
wink.gif

I like the track light too !

I think i'd go for brown instead if you want to keep it medieval. If you get tired of it it can also go for a nature inspired decoration, you would just have to change a few things like the curtains, or i would add a touch of green.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like the track light too !

I think i'd go for brown instead if you want to keep it medieval. If you get tired of it it can also go for a nature inspired decoration, you would just have to change a few things like the curtains, or i would add a touch of green.
I hadn't even thought of brown! I like that! It would work really well with heavy black for a medival look, and still keep the room looking warm. I don't think I could use a gray since it is so cold and sterile looking. Thanks so much for the idea!

Originally Posted by pumpkincat210 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really like this site http://www.pantone.com/pages/paint/PaintsColorAdvice.aspx

colors are so much fun to play around with.  the site also has a fashion color report for the seasons.

some of their products are ridiculously priced though.
Very cool site, I will check it out in more depth when I have more time. I wonder if there paints are available where I am though? Home Depot sells alot of Behr paints, so that is what I was looking into.

Katana, you'll have to post a pic of your final room design.  I'm sure it'll be cool!

I will be sure too! I haven't started painting yet. I'm still getting everything togther.

I found my curtains though!

Heavy duty black velvet drapes. I will have pull down blinds in the centre of the window.

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=909138&Ntt=909138&catalogId=10051&langId=-

15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

They are theses ones here, in Black.

Neutral like a brown will also allow you to change your accent colours without clashing. 

I also love dark colors. We used to have black floor tiles and I loved it. We still have a lot of black accent pieces. You could pain one wall red if you really do not want to give up on that color make it a main wall. I used to have a black leather bed, then our kitty cats clawed it to shreds, lol. So if you have kitty cats, beware. Please post pics when it is finished.

I love the idea of a dark rich red. It's your room so paint it the colours you and he love.

My only suggestion is to paint the trim, base boards, etc the same colour as the walls.

Don't forget to paint the ceiling too - maybe a medium brown here?

Love to see pics too.

Originally Posted by Bexy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also love dark colors. We used to have black floor tiles and I loved it. We still have a lot of black accent pieces. You could pain one wall red if you really do not want to give up on that color make it a main wall. I used to have a black leather bed, then our kitty cats clawed it to shreds, lol. So if you have kitty cats, beware. Please post pics when it is finished.
That's interesting.  Cats don't generally like leather. 

Latest posts

Back