Eyeliner pencil - which brand would you recommend?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hallo, I'm new here so I apologize if this topic has been discussed before. (when I searched the site with "eyeliner", 6300+ threads found so I couldn't go through all of them!) :-(

I just bought toners from DHC and in order to get a free shipping I needed to add $4+ more to my order so I decided to buy a eyeliner pencil also. I've never used the eyeliner before... I have typical asian eyes - small "slanted" eyes with single eyelid so I'm not even sure if using the eyeliner is good or bad or have any effect on me. But since I bought it I will give it a try.

I've read the posts about a liquid eyeliner from MAC but sounded like I should practice with the pencil first and move on to the liquid (advanced?) one. I was wondering is there any good brand for the eyeliner pencil? Which brand would you recommend? I'll use the one from DHC for now but not really sure if this is a good one. (there were mixed reviews)

Before I joined this forum, I thought all the eyelash curlers are the same but now I know they are not (Shu Uemura or Shiseido is in my list) so I'm guessing there should be a better eyeliner pencil.

Thanks for your help!

I am not sure what DHC is. If I knew what lines they carry, I could suggest something.

i have lots of different brands of eyeliner pencils. i LOVE the milani brand though. sooooo silky. urban decay is amazing as well =] i use pencils to line my waterline and to tightline my upper lash line.

i use gel liner [mac cosmetics fluidline] to line outside my upper lashline. or else, i will grab a liquid liner. it depends on the look i want.

you can use a pencil as a beginner to learn how to line your upper lash line. but i think in the end, gel or liquid is faster / easier. 

I just looked at the DHC website. I suppose this is the right one ?http://www.dhccare.ca/DHC/ 

I haven't heard of the eyeliner brand in the eye makeup section.

For pencils I have used MAC, Make Up Forever which I both really like.

Gel/Cream eyeliners take a little practice at first (at least for me it did, but everyone is different), in the end are easy to apply. Some Gel eyeliners I have tried and like Wet n' Wild and MAC Fluidlines. I also heard Clinique Cream Shapers are good (cheaper than MAC)

I like applying gel eyeliners with a small thin or angled eyeliner brush.

Hope this helped!
smile.gif

JMO, but using a pencil liner didn't help me learn liquid. If you want to learn how to use liquid, just use liquid. Practice before it is time to wash your face.

Depends on how much your willing to spend on the liner. But if your going to do liquid which im sure you can get it once you get some practice, get a velvet tip. I loveee those and perfer them. Also try gel, a lot easier to work with. Good luck!

If you're willing to spend a little on your eyeliner, then Urban Decay 24/7 liners would be my suggestion. For less, i'd say Bourjois khol pencils.

Thanks everyone for suggestions!

Internetchick > Sorry I should've added more details about DHC. DHC is one of popular cosmetic companies in Japan, mostly among teenagers. Their price is reasonable so I've been using their toner for almost 10 years. But unlike another poplar companies like Shu Uemura, they're not known for makeup tools. So I'm guessing their eyeliner pencil would be just okay, but not great.

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=3904

I paid $9 for a pencil & a holder. If I'm willing to invest in a better eyeliner, how much should I expect?

I'm also interested in the liquid/gel/cream eyeliner. (are liquid/gel/cream same thing but just different name?) Sounds like they are easier and faster to apply but require a lot of practice. Since I'm a beginner I'll need to practice any type of eyeliner anyway so I might as well get the liquid type also and start practicing. I noticed Mac Fluidline offers 5 different colors. Which color would you recommend for a beginner?

Thanks again for your help!

Out of all the pencils I've tried, Urban Decay is my favorite. But I prefer gel liners (fluidline) because it's sooo easy to apply with a slanted brush.

For pencil liners I like MAC Kohl eyeliner, it stays soft and creamy and adds a lot of color( they also don't get dry if you dont cap them). I like Urban Decay pencil liners too, but it seems like they dry out if you don't keep a cap on them (which I forget to do all the time).

For cream/gel liners I like Makeup Forever, it stays "moist" even if u don't put the top back on. Stila and Studio gear cream pots will dry out quickly and be unusable if you don't screw the top back on. I forget to do it a lot so it's a big deal for me.

For liquid liner, Urban Decay is good but it's also the only brand I've tried lol I'm to try another brand when I use up what's left.

i def give credit to boujois there water proof one is amazing...i have very watery eyes also so i just seal it with some eyeshadow...

i also like Victoria secrets thats is also cheap, i have recently found a japanese brand make and omg im in love and im yet to try it!! ill be doing a review on it in the next month or 2 on there 24hr long lasting eyebrow pen ....K-Palette supplies their stuff....just look it up herd nothing but great reviews on it

I really like Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Pencil Liners. They go really smooth and are very soft and creamy and stays put all day, well most of the day anyway.

I'm absolutely in love love love with Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner pencils! They are amazing! The pigmentation is gorgeous, it's so creamy and smooth.  It doesn't tug, pull, skip, or anything. Goes on perfectly smooth the first time, every time.  I've had the same liner on for 2 days now, with very little bleeding. I know, I need to wash it off, but I was in a hurry and didn't redo my eyes today. Just reapplied the eyeliner and went with it.  I didn't have to leave the house today, so I didn't have to do much in the makeup dept. LOL A good tip on sharpening UD pencils, any pencils for that matter, is to put the liner pencil in the freezer for at least 10mins prior to sharpening to help stop breakage of the liner.  When I sharpened mine today, it hardly took any product off and I used the UD Grindhouse sharpener on my Mildew e/l pencil. It was a perfect point that was so heavenly to apply and looks so beautiful on.  My hubby even noticed that I was wearing something other than my other fav which is Cliniques Quickliner for Eyes.  It's really good.  Waterproof and self sharpening.  Great colors and quality.  I really am liking the UD pencils better right now and the Clinique e/l pencils used to be my HG for 10+yrs.  I haven't tried liquid or cream liner yet. I own some of each, but haven't had the time to practice that just yet. I might make some time this weekend, but I did order the 15yr anniversary eyeliner pack from UD, so I might just play with those instead! LOL

^I second that! I use Almay pencil liners on myself and clients. It holds up the longest imo. Their liquid liner is amazing as well. For the most precise line using liquid, my go-to product is Lorac's "Front of the Line Pro." it's got an extremely small and precise tip. Love!

Mid/High-End: MUFE AquaEyes UD 24/7 Lise Watier Waterproof Drugstore: GOSH Velvet Touch Annabelle Smoothliners L'Oreal Extra Intense Liquid Pencil CoverGirl Liqui'line Blast

The first high-end pencil I remember buying was Urban Decay's 24/7. I really liked it a lot, but I noticed that the older the pencil got and the more oily my face was in the summer, the more often I would see some "smudging". I've tried Avon's waterproof eyeliners as well, but I disliked them very much. I began using two drugstore brands which I like very very much and are pennies compared to the price of UD's.  They are Styli-Style's and N.Y.C. (New York Color). Both you need to sharpen yourself, like UD's which I like because you can get a nice, crisp line each time. They truly last all day!!

I've never been a big fan of the liquid liners, but I'm in LOVE with gel liners. The first one I ever used was Stila Smudge Pots which were easy to use (you need the right brush!). But the price was a bit steep and I found they dried out very quick and much went to waste. I tried gel pots again this year when Maybelline came out with their Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Liner. It comes with its own brush, but I bought an angeled/slanted one anyways so I can get a thinner liner that stays on all day. Never any smudging and they stay put.

What's great for one might be a dud for someone else. I think that's why they put so much advertising into the cosmetic industry--to try and convince you that THEIR product is the best. For us, the fun is trial and error part.  Good luck, let us know what you choose!

(BTW, I just wrote a blog post about a very inexpensive eyelash curler that is awesome... check it out)

Ohh I haven`t tried Almays liquid liners I have an urban decay one and as it`s got older the tip has gotten really wide I am actually quite disappointed that has happened bc I have to use another brush to apply it now. Right now I have a Quo liquid liner and that works better than UD I had it longer and it`s never widened at the tip! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm still using CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus, but I love Urban Decay's as well. I haven't tried Make Up For Ever's yet, but I'm curious.

i found the shiseido eyeliner to be awesome. it doesn't smudge at allll i have very watery eyes and it stays put :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> very smooth as well

Back