Hairspray to set foundation?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know people have been doing this foreverrrrr.

But does it really work?

Wouldn't it makeyour skin look oily?

Anybody here do it?

I'd like to try, but im scared i'd breakout &/or it'd look oily and gross.

Thanks!

I know, BUT i thought because hairsprays cheap & you gets heaps, it'd be good to find out what people think.

depends on what you are using for foundation... silica microspheres for liquid foundation and a mist of water for powders.  Hairspray...please don't use hairspray.  have you accidently gotten hairspray on your forehead?  It becomes shiny like laquer.

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Never used hairspray to set makeup before... Ben Nye makes cheap setting sprays.

All you need is water in a spritz bottle.  100% refillable
smile.gif

I have done it.  This was a long time ago, before I knew better.  I was probably 15 or so.  I read it as a tip in a magazine article, I think in Seventeen magazine.  It certainly kept my makeup on, but it made my skin pretty shiny and weird.  I only did it once, because not only did it not look great, it made my skin feel pretty tight and dry.  I only use setting sprays in the summer, and then I usually use make up forever. 

That sounds terrible. I would never try that. Think of what kind of ingredients go into hairspray.

I would imagine it can clog your pores and cause you to break out, not to forget, irritate your skin! 

I think it would make your face look like you had a shot of botox and covered in that shiny cucumber peel mask! 

Use primer and pressed powder to set make up. There are a lot of healthy brands out there that can help the condition of your skin. 

http://www.thebeautyfulblog.com

Yikes XD

Sorry but I burst out laughing when I saw this thread. Sometimes I use hairspray to set charcoal and pastels on paper...I'd never ever use it to set my face hahahah

I would never use hairspray. It sticks on the skin and if  some  accidently got in your eyes it wouldn't be good. I often fill a mist bottle with water to set my makeup or you can buy Evian spray (basically water in a bottle but mineralized?).

I've heard of people using that when I went to anime expo, but it's like...full face makeup (not normal foundation looking stuff...like a blue face or clown white face), and they want to make sure it doesn't rub off on clothing. (for the clown white, for example, you paint down to the neck line and you don't want it rubbing off on the collars of the costume throughout the day)

I know there are setting sprays to help make sure that sweat or oils don't make the makeup wear out, but are there setting sprays to make makeup safe to even the touch/clothing rub? (one of the guys there did a hairspray spray on their face)

I hadn't heard of it before this summer when I saw it though, and I don't know if there's anything better. (it is kind of also an extreme case of wanting to make sure absolutely none of the makeup wears off onto clothing that is constantly rubbing against it, too)

I've heard of using hairspray to set eyebrows, but face makeup?! Must irritate the skin quite a bit I'd imagine!

There is no  smiley adequate enough to convey my horror at the thought of spraying hairspray on ones face. I have the perfect picture, but I can't get it to post.
3.gif

Have you ever heard of model in a bottle? In Cosmo school, we had an educator from TIGI Bedhead cosmetics come in and he actually mentioned this. He said he and a friend did an experiment... they bought a bottle of model in a bottle and compared it to a basic hairspray and the ingredients were virtually identical. So he was like... just use hairspray! LOL. I've actually only done it once... on Halloween to make my greasepaint stay... and it worked. My makeup lasted all day. I did, however get a break on my chin and cheek. :/

Lord, I would rather rub my face on a dirty toilet seat than use hair spray on it *bleh*

I make my own finishing spray - a mix of hydrosols and all sorts of other stuff to keep the skin hydrated yet NOT oily - which sets my makeup AND keeps it fresh. Will be selling it soon after many months of testing and having others give me feedback on it. But hairspray, HELL to tha NO!

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People do that? Yikes! I wouldn't. They make setting sprays.

And what do you think are in the setting sprays? LOL Most setting sprays contain the same ingredients as Aqua Net - which is what people used back in the day as a setting spay. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Elsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldnt do it, sticky and hard! Setting sprays are out there:)

Agreed. I like finding inexpensive ways to do makeup just as much as the next girl, but that just doesn't seem safe. I'm allergic to a lot of things though, so I'd be worried I'd get some kind of reaction. I'd rather spend the money and get the MAC setting spray and know that it's developed for that purpose.

Back