Concealer for really dark under eye circles

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've had under eye circles for as long as I can remember and have been trying a variety of different concealers, but I still haven't found the right one so I definitely need some help.

Right now I'm using the Laura Mercier undercover pot. I usually get started with the Laura Mercier foundation primer, foundation, concealer (undercover pot) and then Laura Mercier's translucent powder on top. I find that it doesn't give complete coverage so I can still see a bit of darkness, but I figured it's "good enough", however, by the afternoon, it becomes cakey and gross.

Also, if I take pictures with this concealer, it makes my under eyes look ghostly and white but the rest of my face is normal (looks gross). I'm Asian and have olive skin, and have analyzed my dark circles to be kind of purple.

Can anyone offer me some advice? Thanks!! =)

I like Benefit Boi-ing.  It covers anything I throw at it. 

Have you ever gone to see a doctor about why you have such dark circles under your eyes?  Is it hereditary?  Do you have allergies?  Do you suffer from nasal congestion? 

I have the same issue (except I don't have olive skin and my dark circles are more brown rather then purple, like yours) Anyways, I've tried tons of things..

Right now I switch it up between two concealers Benefit Erase Paste (in #2) and the other one is the Laura Mercier Secret Concealer (I think I have it in #3 which is way darker then my complexion, but the SA told me a more orange concealer would help combat dark circles) I don't know about you but my skin tends to be really dry, so my MU routine (when I'm not going to wear eyeshadow) is this:

1) Wash, tone, Moisturize

2) Then I put on an eye moisturizer (which is also a dark circle reducer) on my first eye

3) UDPP on the eye I just put eye moisturizer on (Top lid and under eye)

4) Take a tiny bit of concealer with brush (like the one in the photo I added) and stipple around the eye and blend out by patting on the concealer with the brush

5) After everything is blended, tap anything that has set into fine lines with your ring finger

6) Set with powder (I used MUFE HD powder) and don't use too much or else you'll get all cakey!

7) Do next eye and then do your foundation or whatever you put on the rest of your face  

The brush I use is just a random one I found in my MU stash, Its about the size of an eyeshadow brush and its really stiff.. I don't know what the name of it is but this is the closest thing I could find that looks like it.. This picture is an E.L.F. Foundation brush (so its probably too big to use on your eyes but at least you get an idea of how the brush I use is shaped)

I hope I helped!

Oh just as a side note, when I am wearing eye shadow, I just skip the whole process of eye concealer on my upper lid, only because I cover the dark circle part with eyeshadow.. So I'd just put UDPP and then my shadow on my upper lid and do the whole concealer process on my lower lid =)

hwthumb.jpg

Thanks for your advice, I'll try it tomorrow morning when I do my makeup routine.

I heard Bobbi Brown is really good, and not sure if anyone here uses the corrector and concealer, but I emailed an artist yesterday and this is the advice they provided me:

[SIZE=10pt]Be sure to prepare the under eye area by applying eye cream.  Bobbi's HYDRATING EYE CREAM is ideal.  This formula is quick absorbing and will prime the under eye area for the smoothest application of your Corrector and Creamy Concealer.

Apply concealer with the CONCEALER BRUSH beginning at inner corner of the eye, or wherever you see darkness.  Emily, use the gentle pressure of fingertips to blend edges.  Set with a small amount of yellow based powder on the deluxe mini Powder Puff, dust off excess with the EYE BLENDER BRUSH.  I recommend the shade BEIGE or WARM BEIGE.

Since you mentioned you have very dark circles, I would recommend you first apply a pink-based CORRECTOR shade under your skin-tone-correct concealer.  These corrective shades are extremely effective in concealing the deep blue or purple undertones.  For your medium skin tone, I recommend the shade LIGHT TO MEDIUM BISQUE or BISQUE.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Since I don't have any Benefit concealers, I might [/SIZE]just buy the Bobbi Brown corrector an concealer if I can get to a Holt Renfrew sometime =P

I haven't tried the Bobbi Brown corrector or concealer only because I heard they tend to be really creamy and settle into fine lines super easily. But if you try it out and get good results, post and let me know =)

I use Clinique's All About Eyes concealer.  I put it on, cover with powder, and BOOM! They're gone!

Estee Lauder's Maximum Cover Foundation. I know it's a foundation, but I have terrible acne scars and I use it as a concealer on the scars.  I also use it for under eye.  It's so full-coverage, there's no way I would ever wear it just as a normal foundation. 

It's also waterproof and sweat proof. 
smile.gif

Mine must just be stubborn because I bought Bo-ing with such high hopes, and I don't even really notice that much of a difference.  Ugh, I just want them gone... or at least covered! 

What's the difference between Benefit's Bo-ing and Erase Paste? Sometimes a concealer makes my under eyes look extra pastey so they stand out even more, and yes LIndseyC, I just want mine gone too! =P

I have bad problems with my under eye circles too. Haven't found the perfect concealer either...when I put a concealer on, I look like a normal person WITHOUT concealer :/. Btw mine are hereditary.   

I think Erase Paste is a lot thicker from what I have heard.  Watched a youtube review on it, but I haven't actually tried it. 

I like Bobbi Browns creamy concealor with cream and powder. Although the cream is light I don't find it settles into fine lines easily and the powder gives a nice natural effect as well.

I was at Macy's the other day and I tried out the Bobbi Brown corrector in Porcelain Bisque and MAC Studio Finish concealer in NW15 (one under each eye... it was kind of weird, but I wanted to see which one would hold up better). In the time it took me to walk from the Bobbi Brown counter to the MAC counter and wait for an SA, which was about 10-15 minutes, the Bobbi Brown had already settled into the crease under my eye. I was horrified. Throughout the night, it just kept fading and fading. I know some people hate MAC Studio Finish for under the eye, but I found it really worked for me, and I've tried a zillion different concealers (Lancome Effacernes and Flash Retouche, TheBalm Time Balm, MAC Select MoistureCover, MUFE Lift, Benefit Eraste Paste...)

That's just my two cents, though.
smile.gif

I was just reading the reviews for TheBalm Time Balm on Sephora and almost everyone gave it 5 stars saying how great of a concealer it was, I was almost set on buying it. How did you like that one? Also read some great things about the MUFE Full Cover Concealer, has anyone tried that one?

Wish I lived close to a Sephora/Bobbi Brown counter so I can try them out, but I gotta drive for awhile to get to them so I figured I would research first. Makeup always looks better under Sephora's lighting sometimes so it can be deceiving
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by YoursEvermore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was at Macy's the other day and I tried out the Bobbi Brown corrector in Porcelain Bisque and MAC Studio Finish concealer in NW15 (one under each eye... it was kind of weird, but I wanted to see which one would hold up better). In the time it took me to walk from the Bobbi Brown counter to the MAC counter and wait for an SA, which was about 10-15 minutes, the Bobbi Brown had already settled into the crease under my eye. I was horrified. Throughout the night, it just kept fading and fading. I know some people hate MAC Studio Finish for under the eye, but I found it really worked for me, and I've tried a zillion different concealers (Lancome Effacernes and Flash Retouche, TheBalm Time Balm, MAC Select MoistureCover, MUFE Lift, Benefit Eraste Paste...)

That's just my two cents, though.
smile.gif

I would suggest MAC Select cover up concealer, the select moisture cover, i have it and it has a semi liquid texture so i don't think it would cover very dark circles. The other one has a better coverage.

I got Skinfood salmon darkcircle concealer cream today and I'm disappointed :/. Coverage is ok but just not enough for me...Does anyone have this concealer too?

edit: I might try the Skinfood Peach sake concealer...lol feel like I'm running in circles with these concealers. It really hate my very dark under eye circles
frown.gif

skinfood is a korean brand. i live in korea. and to be honest.. skin food, the face shop, these brands are for like young teenagers who can't afford high-end products. i wouldn't bother with their make-up. although some of their scrubs are ok. lol.

Originally Posted by aliana /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got Skinfood salmon darkcircle concealer cream today and I'm disappointed :/. Coverage is ok but just not enough for me...Does anyone have this concealer too?

edit: I might try the Skinfood Peach sake concealer...lol feel like I'm running in circles with these concealers. It really hate my very dark under eye circles
frown.gif

I only bought it because so many people gave good reviews. And because it's cheap. Hmmm what to try next? LOL

Back