Eyelash growth products: is it worth it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i've been using Lilash for months now, and my eyelashes are really long. I have to say, i adore them, they look like i've always wanted them to look! But, a few months in i noticed a dark line on my upper lash line, where i apply it. I waited to see if it'd go, but it's been months and it hasn't. It's more than a "line" now, it extends about half way up my eyelid and isn't even flat; it's a bit swollen. My mum said she doesn't notice it and that my eyelashes look lovely now. But it's even difficult to make it less noticeable with concealer because it's darker than the rest of my eyelid.

Well, i don't know what to do. I feel like i'm doing something bad to my eyelids for the sake of having long lashes! I stopped using Lilash for a couple of weeks, but the darkening didn't go, and my eyelashes started getting smaller again so i quickly started up with it again. I don't know, will my eyelids even be restored to normality if i stop using Lilash? And is it better to have long lashes and bad eyelids, or bad lashes and normal eyelids?

If i do decide to stop using it and my lashes go small again, i guess i'll try to find a reallly good lengthening mascara, because in my 18 years none of the mascaras i've tried have lengthened my lashes much at all.

I use Rapidlash and never had that happen. Maybe you could try another product?

I know on the prescription version lash lengtheners they say it may cause darkening of the eyelid.  I imagine that could be a side effect of non-prescription ones as well.

Yeah i was thinking of trying another, but all my research has confirmed that most of them cause darkening for SOME people. When i was researching Lilash before i bought it, some people said they had reactions and others didn't. I was unfortunatly one that did
frown.gif
so i'm weary of trying another, unless there's one that will definitely not effect my eyelids!

Yeah it seems that might be a permanent side effect from all the Latisse commercials I hear. I plan on using it to make both eyes eyelashes similar, one is much denser than the other.

oh I didn't know a side effect was to actually make the eyeLID darker, I always thought it was just the brown pigmentation in irises.  (Which could turn brown eyes into a darker brown,  one eye color was safe because it doesn't have any brown but I don't remember if it was green or blue.  One color turns a bit muddy the other isn't affected since there's no natural brown there to darken.)

Is the skin darkening permanent?  (I think the eye coloration is permanent)

This is what I'm worried about. I read somewhere that the iris darkening is from getting it into the eye. I can't imagine not getting some into your eyes though if you're placing it on the lash line though. :/

I use the one from Avon in their Anew line and it's caused no darkening but it DOES burn if you get it in your eyes and it does cause swelling on the lash line, which is what I believe makes people think they have longer lashes...

Don't get me wrong, my lashes looked a little longer in just a week (and MUCH longer by two weeks), but after carefully examining my eye area after about three days, I noticed that my lash line was puffier than usual and a little red. The puffiness is barely noticeable (especially under eye-makeup), but if I look closely at my lash line, I can see that the swelling is actually causing my eyelashes to grow at a different, more upward angle, giving the illusion of longer lashes.

The lash serum also makes each individual eyelash feel thicker and look thicker after about one week of application, followed by a mascara.

I've definitely received compliments on my eyelashes so far, but i'm beginning to wonder if the majority of these eyelash growth products work the same way.

Don't you mind the swelling on your lash line? Hmm, i'm not sure if it's worth it anymore. What do you guys think?

Has anyone tried the serums that are basically just beeswax and paraffin wax? I saw something but can't for the life of me remember which product it was. It seems like a safer alternative. It won't make your lashes grow, just give the appearance of longer, thicker lashes.

I used Talika Lipocils religiously for about a year and I never noticed any side effect like that. Although its pricey, my lashes grew and were in fantastic condition so might be worth a try?

A quite popular product here in Europe is Neulash, I guess it is available in the USA as well and the people I know who have used it had great results and no eyelid line. I never tried it myself because I have quite full lashes but sometimes I treat them to some castor oil and that usually make them grow longer in 3 or 4 weeks time.

I've used many different products. Carepost is next, They work. I dont think the line pigmentation is permenent. Our cells are always renewing so it should clear up at some point. I think maybe vaguely i get a line on mine but usually shortly after i apply and it fades pretty quick. I've been using these products for about a year. I've tried LiLash, RapidLash ( i have 3 boxes for sale), NYX and Physicians formula( not worth getting that one).

My concern with carepost is that the prescription ones seem to have the iris pigmentation as a more prominent warning. Companies like LiLash and Rapid Lash say that its extremely rare or a non-existent occurrence.

Originally Posted by jennifered /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have been using Careprost (generic Latisse) for 9 months now and without doubt this is a fantastic product and has made my eyelashes incredibly long

and full and compared to the cost of Latisse at around $140.00 Careprost is a bargain at $25.00 and one bottle lasts approximately 6-8 weeks. 

I think Careprost is actually under investigation by the FDA since it uses the same active ingredient as Latisse, which requires a prescription in the US. I'm not entirely sure if it is or isn't but could have sworn it is. Here's an article on Careprost though which is worth a read: http://www.stylelist.com/2010/04/08/as-cheaper-alternatives-to-latisse-emerge-experts-warn-of-safet/

From that article:

Any drug with the active ingredient bimatoprost carries the risk of darkening the skin, a reaction that is temporary and reversible, as well as darkening eye color, which is permanent and irreversible. By applying the off-label products in varying ways that haven't been tested for safety, consumers could be spilling and sloshing too much of the drug in the eye area, increasing the risk of adverse side effects.

It's possible. Carepost is the generic form of Latisse and available on alldaychemist.com for less than $25. It's a European company, and you know everyone needs a prescription for everything here so im sure the FDA wants to regulate it. the Latisse people prob put in a complaint.

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's possible. Carepost is the generic form of Latisse and available on alldaychemist.com for less than $25. It's a European company, and you know everyone needs a prescription for everything here so im sure the FDA wants to regulate it. the Latisse people prob put in a complaint.
It is not a generic version of Latisse, it's a generic version of bimatoprost ophthalmic solution which is a medication used to treat glaucoma patients. It's also illegal to sell within the US which is why a few makeup companies that were using that same ingredient had their labs raided by the FDA. Here's a warning letter that the FDA sent out to another company using bimatoprost ophthalmic solution and promoting it to grow lashes. It is NOT intended for eyelash growth and while the FDA approved it for Latisse I think that even Latisse was under investigation for misleading the public.

Basically if anyone uses the bimatoprost ophthalmic solution without a prescription you do so at your risk. Is having longer lashes the risk for permanent eye damage? Not to me. I'll stick with my false lashes.

I use the Urban Decay Lush Lash System.  My friend Erika got it and reviewed it in the blog :points down: first, no darkening or burning, and it actually worked, so I bought it for myself.  So far I haven't experienced any adverse effects, I've been using it for several weeks and my lashes are starting to grow nicely.  I hope the discoloration on your eyelid fades :/

I was looking to see if others were using UD's lush lash system. I have been using it for about a month and notice such a difference. I have droopy eyelids (thanks genetics) and before i could barely see my lashes but now i can say they are much longer! Love this stuff! My lashes look even better when i use the lush lash mascara which i highly recommend for lenghthening.

Latest posts

Back