Wedding Vows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you write your own vows on your wedding day, or are you planning to?

Or did you use a traditional vow like...

"  I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

I haven't had the need to write my vows yet but I would like to think that we will be writing our own :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

my first time was very much the traditional thing.  i think if i get married again (hoping) it will be very much different

If I get married again, my vows will be shorter and might go something like this:

Do you Carolyn, take .......... to be your husband.

To love, cherish, honour and protect.

From this day onward.

Also, I'd like a handfasting ceremony

It's a ceremony during which a ribbon (or something similar) is tied around the joined hands of the bride and groom. I think it's more pagan in its origins, but it's been used in many cultures and still today.

Interesting.  I've not seen it in any ceremonies I've been at.  We had traditional vows (modernized -without the 'obey').  Both times they were traditional.  We had 1 civil wedding and 1 church wedding 8 years later :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Handfasting is pagan in origin, but is not necessarily seen as pagan today. But I admit that you'd likely see a handfasting in a celtic/druidic/wiccan wedding and not to often in a "traditional" Christian/catholic/Jewish/Muslim wedding ceremony.

Handfasting is great for non traditional unions like gay/lesbian marriages, polygamist or if one or both partners is still legally married to a third party.

Typically, a handfasting is performed by an Officiate. But since most handfastings are not a legal union (depends on the location), I think that anyone could be the officiate, as long as they understood that it is a serious ceremony and to treat it with respect.

The handfasting is meant to last one year, and to be renewed each year after.

I found an interesting site that talks about handfasting, the symbolism of the cords, etc.

http://www.handfasting.info/

I would like to add that my handfasting ceremony would not be attended by anyone - just me, my partner and the officiate.

I consider handfasts to be more personal that a wedding ceremony and I would like to keep it that way.

I know that others that have done a handfast ceremony, have felt this way - perhaps that is why main stream society would not be invited to witness one.

But in my knowledge wedding vows for only for hindu tradition. Any other religion do not  obey this. Am i right. I have not enough knowledge about it. It is only my thought.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I'd like a handfasting ceremony
I went to a pagen wedding and they did this. I liked that some of the traditions were nice and meaningful. I remember the clock had to have the hands going up to symbolize hope, etc. The whole ceremony was very interesting!

Back