(Department Store) MUA Rant

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was wandering through Belk's today for Black Friday sales when I realized there wasn't much I was interested in. However, I still had a 20% off coupon, so I figured I'd use it on some Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. I don't know anything about LM shades, so after being approached by a mua, I expressed that I needed some help picking out a color.

She picked up a shade that I really feel is too dark for me. I have that classic ruddy irish skin on my face, with a very porcelain neck and chest and pretty much everything else. I explained to her that my neck is quite a few shades lighter than my face. Her response? That's what bronzer is for.

So, I'm supposed buy foundation that's too dark for my (overall) complexion, bronze my neck, and, what? apply fake tanner to the rest of my body? I explained to her, I'm not really a bronzer type a girl. She said, you don't want to look "pasty." Out of simple frustration I just said thanks and left. I'm really tired of being color-matched to the wrong shade.

For the record she was a redhead too. She should've understood, but she looked over-bronzed herself. I like being "pasty." Now I could kick myself. I should've just bought it anyways and exchanged it later after I figured out the right shade on my own. Then I would have still gotten the discount.

One small other pet-peeve is that she applied the product to my face without asking first and I would have definitely declined. I don't like that. It's just bothersome unless I've planned ahead.

I don't mean to offend. I know she didn't mean any harm and was trying to be helpful, but finding the right foundation has been a really frustrating experience lately.

Don't you just hate know it all MUA's. I went to the MAC counter to inquire if they had any Black Friday deals and the MUA told me (in a stuck up voice) "Umm, No I'm sorry, the beauty department doesn't correspond with holiday sales, we rarely have sales". Then she pointed me in the Tarten tale gift set direction and said those were the current promotion.

Yeah! I know no holiday sales! That's why I was so excited about having a coupon! 

But, really, she was not that bad. She was perfectly nice. I just hate that ass-backwards philosophy of making your skin match your foundation rather than the other way around. I'm perfectly fine being pale. I just simply want foundation that doesn't make me look like a 12 year old that doesn't know how to apply makeup. I'd rather wear none at all.

Back