Does anyone use BB Cream?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use it instead of foundation.

And for those who do not know, BB Cream stands for Blemish Balm Cream. Originally made in Germany for patients after procedures, it is now super popular in Asia. The best way I can describe it is foundation with skincare qualities, a multi-use product. Some BB creams have anti-aging, whitening, brightening, moisturizing, and other features. But it is still a makeup product and is treated as such. Unfortunately it only comes in 2 shades at the most, both of which are usually light to light medium. But I've found that they usually blend well to match similar skintones.

I've used Lioele, Missha, Dr. Jart, and Skin79 brands. I love the Lioele one with the Dr. Jart coming in second.

What are your favorite BB Cream brands?

Thanks for sharing information.. I was not at all aware about BB cream..

And what all brands you mentioned are not available here in India :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, they're usually hard to find outside of Korea, Japan, Singapore, and a few other countries. I have to get mine off of ebay.

Interesting, never heard of them before. Let me know how it works after a few weeks!

Oh it works great! I have a whitening formula by the Dr. Jart brand and have been using it for about a month. It does even out my skintone, and I might even say that it does appear a bit brightened. It has medium coverage and I've been using it back and forth between my Lioele brand.

I wanted to but i have pink undertones and each time i looked into BB creams the shades seemed too yellowish or too dark for me.

I'm using Skin 79 that I bought on Amazon for 29 cents (I earn Amazon gift certificates through Swagbucks so all I paid OOP was 29 cents). I know the price went up for what I bought from $9.99 to $14.48 & is eligible for free shipping with Amazon orders of $25 or more. I still have to do a follow up on it since in the end I did like it but saw no skin improvements when using it.

Hmm, interesting. Are you supposed to use it instead of foundation or in addition to? Are they available in stores? 

Many BB creams are available in Asian beauty stores.  They are supposed to be foundation, moisturizer, spf, concealer and some have a whitening agent in it as well.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jane Hearst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, interesting. Are you supposed to use it instead of foundation or in addition to? Are they available in stores? 

Originally Posted by Jane Hearst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sephora now sells Dr. Jart. You can buy other brands including Skin 79 on Amazon.com. I found that BB cream can work in place of a primer due to the fact most contain some type of silicone product. I was given a tip, which I'm happy to share, that by mixing it with liquid foundation you get better results. I always have had problems matching liquid foundation but when I mixed it with my bb cream it worked fantastic. AND it lasted much longer than the normal primer I was using at the time.

Awesome!!! I mix my foundations with other things like tinted moisturizers to make my skin look more natural and get the right color!

I look forward to trying these BB creams!!!
claps.gif

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sephora now sells Dr. Jart. You can buy other brands including Skin 79 on Amazon.com. I found that BB cream can work in place of a primer due to the fact most contain some type of silicone product. I was given a tip, which I'm happy to share, that by mixing it with liquid foundation you get better results. I always have had problems matching liquid foundation but when I mixed it with my bb cream it worked fantastic. AND it lasted much longer than the normal primer I was using at the time.

Which BB cream did you buy? I finally caved in and bought the Skin 79 oriental gold one (the one with the blush on top) about a week ago, since all the other skin 79 ones had anti-acne/sebum control stuff in them. It hasn't come in yet because it was apparently shipped from Korea. Does it get greasy? Do you have to use a finishing powder? I have dry skin, but the last tinted moisturizer I used made my skin greasy :|

How long have you had it? I got a pretty uneven tan this summer and I was hoping it would help even out my skin tone.. It was so cheap, I'm a bit skeptical though.

I'm using Skin 79 that I bought on Amazon for 29 cents. . . I still have to do a follow up on it since in the end I did like it but saw no skin improvements when using it.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Which BB cream did you buy? I finally caved in and bought the Skin 79 oriental gold one (the one with the blush on top) about a week ago, since all the other skin 79 ones had anti-acne/sebum control stuff in them. It hasn't come in yet because it was apparently shipped from Korea. Does it get greasy? Do you have to use a finishing powder? I have dry skin, but the last tinted moisturizer I used made my skin greasy :|

How long have you had it? I got a pretty uneven tan this summer and I was hoping it would help even out my skin tone.. It was so cheap, I'm a bit skeptical though.
I actually have to go back to my blog and look it up as to when I bought it and how much since the price changed on Amazon.com. LOL Does it get greasy? In my experience no but I really didn't care for the product at first it wasn't until I began mixing it in with my liquid foundation that I actually liked it. In the summer I switched to a mineral foundation and used it as a primer to get the mineral foundation to "stick" to my skin and didn't have a problem with either it feeling greasy or drying out. I have combo skin with rosacea.

So I bought the Skin79 BB mini set simply because, at the time, it was $9.99 for the set and shipping was $5.99. After I purchased it the price went up but as of 10/26 the price on amazon.com is $9.10 with free shipping from one of the Amazon marketplace sellers. I paid 23¢ out of pocket (OOP) due to the fact that I earn Amazon gift certificates though an affiliate program I use.

So this is one of my blog entries that I wrote on Feb 25, 2011: The order I place from Amazon.com today and boy am I glad I didn't pay for this completely out of my own pocket! The set is a miniature set with the box itself being a bit smaller than an unsharpened pencil. Each tube of BB cream is roughly the length of a AA battery and the width is slightly larger than the than the AA battery, at it's widest point it's about two AA if side-by-side.
On Amazon.com the BB miniature set by Skin79 is being sold for $9.99 and has a list price of $34.99. On Yes Style is listed for $17 with a retail of $18. Definitely NOT worth the higher price but think the Amazon.com price is more fair. Still, glad I didn't pay more than 23¢ out of pocket!

I haven't opened the actual BB set yes since I want to get some pictures of the packaging before I do open it. I'm in the process of charging my camera's batteries right now otherwise I'd include pictures of it. I will edit this entry with the pictures once the batteries are done.

I don't know what the product is actually like, I haven't tested it yet but if I were ever to buy BB cream again, for just the size, I'd try Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Most Moist Bb Cream Blue Label SPF 27 PA++ 50ml ($30.99 + $3.99 shipping at Amazon.com) that Wing reviewed because you do get far more product than what you get in this mini set.

Each of the four tubes in the mini set contains 5 grams of product for a total of 20 grams. In the one Wing bought and reviewed it contained 50ml of product. So let me do the math here to see what the cost difference was.

1 gram = 1 milliliter

20 grams = 20 millilters

20 grams x 2.5 = 50 grams or 50 ml

So Wing basically got 2.5 times more product than I did.

$9.99 x 2 = $19.98 (40 grams total)

If I were to purchase two of these mini sets I'd be getting only 40 grams of product and would pay $19.98 + $11.98 shipping with the total price (before tax) being $31.96. The Dr. Jart on Amazon is $30.99 + $3.99 shipping (before tax) for a total of $34.98. That's a difference of $3.02 for that extra 10 ml of product. So again, it'd be worth to get the Dr. Jart if I were to order BB cream again.

I can't complain too much since I only paid 23¢ OOP but boy am I glad I didn't pay it completely OOP! lol My actual review of the product will probably take place tomorrow since I won't try this product until tomorrow at the earliest. Right now I'm using Pond's Clarant B3 and will also be posting a review on that as well.

Now, at the time Sephora did not sell that particular Dr. Jart BB cream I talked about, they now do sell it along with other Dr. Jart products. Wing obtained hers when she was in Hong Kong visiting family.

The next day on the 26th I took the pictures (see above) and wrote this blog entry:

Packaging
Each tube has a twist open top and stands up on it's own so it can be left on your bathroom counter easily. Since these are the mini-tubes you can easily toss one of these in your purse or travel case.

I found that three of four tubes to be easy to squeeze with only the Super+ BB Triple Function Cream (hot pink tube) being the most difficult to get out. I don't know if the tube is empty or what but I couldn't get much product out. The Diamond (light pink) tube just oozed out of the tube and seemed to be overfilled. Wish the Super+ Triple Function did the same. lol

Only the Gold Collection and the Triple Functions have listed on their label as containing "UV Protecting SPF25 PA++". On the back of the Diamond tube it lists that it too contains SPF25 PA++ while the Pearl has no SPF protection.

Texture/Smell

The texture of each one differs slightly. The Gold Collection (gold tube) was a little more creamy than the Diamond (light pink tube) which was very watery and simply oozed out of the tube. The Super+ Triple Function (hot pink tube) was the most difficult to get out of the tube so I don't know if the tube is empty or if the product is just really creamy. What did come out was thicker than the Gold or Diamond. The Pearl (silver tube) was creamy and easy to squeeze out.

The smell of each one really reminds me of sunblock. Smells yummy to me and reminds me of summer, which is nice since it's freezing. The fragrance is light and not as overpowering as with normal sunblock.

Color

As for the color, it really reminds me of a color between "Creamy Natural" and "Buff Beige" from Covergirl. Basically this means that the color a light beige. Each product was pretty similar in coloring to each other. There seems to be a pink undertone to each one but the product and I'm afraid that when I use it on my face, I have an olive undertone, that it won't blend out as well. I haven't tried it on my face yet.

The Gold, Diamond and Pearl were shimmery with the Diamond and Pearl being very sparkly almost as if there was a light dusting of shimmer powder. The Gold has far less shimmer, it's there but not as noticeable as the Diamond or Pearl. The Super+ Triple Function seemed to be more matte on my skin than the other three.  

Bottom to top: The Gold Collection Super+ Beblesh Balm (gold tube), Super Beblesh Balm Triple Functions (hot pink tube), BB Diamond Collection (light pink tube), Pearl BB Diamond Collection (silver tube). Flash used.
As you may notice the Gold Collection looks matte on my hand but as I mentioned before there is a slight shimmer. The Diamond and Pearl were very reflective with the flash and I have a feeling if you use this under your foundation then in flash photography you may end up looking like a ghost so if you buy any of these creams in a larger tube be careful with that.

Coverage/Durability

To be determined.

I've tried the BB Diamond Collection, since that just oozed out of the tube, and I have to admit it reminds me of a tinted moisturizer. The coverage is very sheer and unfortunately, for me, it makes my skin have a slight pink tone to it.

Now I have Rosacea since having my twins but my natural skin tone has an olive with a slight yellow coloring. Here's a comparison picture of when I was 17 and what I look like now.   As you may notice my skin tone when I was 17 was more light olive with a ting of yellow in it while now... it's darker (and I don't tan) and my face and neck coloring don't really match. Because I now have Rosacea I have a lot of red in my face while my neck has almost remained the same as it was when I was a teen. This has left me with a problem in finding a foundation that matches.

So what does this have to do with BB Cream you're wondering. Well because the Diamond and Pearl are reflective and look pinkish it's VERY noticeable on my skin while the Gold Collection and the Super+ Triple Function do not have that problem. Between the four the Triple Function seems to match my skin better.

Verdict:

The product is okay. If I were to buy from the Skin79 line again I would definitely not be buying the mini-set but would consider buying either the Gold Collection or the Triple Function but at this time I need to see what kind of reaction my skin will have after using the products for several days before I make my final decision.

If you're going to buy BB Cream I do recommend that you do your research first on what you're buying and how much you're getting for the price. I mentioned before that I paid only 23¢ out of pocket because I had used up the Amazon.com gift cards I earned from Swagbucks. What I bought is actually sold on Amazon.com for $9.99 with $5.99 shipping. It's not terribly expensive but you really don't get much product, certainly not enough to do a month long review.

The SKIN79 Super Beblemish Balm BB Cream Gold Label and the Skin79 Super+ Beblesh Balm Bb Cream Triple Function (hot pink tube) are sold on Amazon for $6.90 + $4.99 shipping each. Those are actually 25 grams each or about 5 times larger then the minis I have. I did not see either the Diamond or Pearl on Amazon.com in the 25 gram tubes.

So, here it is October 26, eight months since I bought the mini set. I've used up three of the four tubes only because I didn't use it on a daily basis. I'm sure had I used it on a daily basis it would have been gone the first month. I also didn't like the coloring on my skin since it didn't match very well but mixing it in with foundation not only helped my foundation last longer but blended the color of the foundation with the BB cream to a color that looked best on my skin. I also used the BB cream as a base for my mineral foundation.

Would I buy it again? No, least I wouldn't buy the mini set again. The set it good if you want to try BB cream without spending $30+ on a tube. When I originally made my comparison between the set I bought and the tube Wing bought the price with shipping would have been $19.98 (40 grams total) + $11.99 shipping ($5.98 each) = $31.97 total and it wasn't worth it because you paid too much in shipping. That particular market place seller wouldn't merge shipping costs but it's a moot point now since that particular seller no longer has it in stock. Like I mentioned the set is now sold for $9.10 with free shipping so yes the price is worth it now. For me it's not because I now know which of the four I like best - The Gold Collection Super+ Beblesh Balm (gold tube), Super Beblesh Balm Triple Functions (hot pink tube) but I would like to try instead Skin79's The Oriental Gold

Oh and if anyone does get the mini set, don't throw it away when you think you're done, cut it open with scissors because I found that there was still a good deal of product in the "empty" tube - enough to fill a mini clamshell (the type you get samples in from Sephora).

Here are the links to the official North America (Canada) and USA sites if you would like to compare prices.

North America (Canadian residents): skin79northamerica.com

USA: www.skin79usa.com

Oh and here is a chart from Skin79 North America that breaks down the products.

I've got Boscia's BB cream and love it.  It's all I use for day looks.  I hear complaints that it doesn't give much coverage, but if you learn to use it properly it gives great coverage(think about it...why would a product developed for chemical procedures *not* cover?  Have you seen what women look like after those things?).  If you put it on like foundation you're not going to be happy with it.  The first time or two I wasn't thrilled.  Then I decided to take some time with it and figure it out, and now I'm a huge fan.  I won't use foundation during the day anymore.

Wow you know what I loved using the Laneige Snow BB Cream SPF 41 PA++ too. I actually had different types here in my houses - though I don't use them all, but I just really love it.

I use Boscia BB Cream and I love it! There are no whitening ingredients or agents (although it provides a SPF 27 PA++) and it gives a luminous, glowing finish. I use this as a replacement for foundation...it provides lightweight coverage and reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and blemishes without masking them with tons of product.

Just ordered Dr. Jart from Sephora using the friends and fam discount. Can't wait to try it out and thanks for the foundation tip, zadidoll!

Back