Results of my one year No-Buy!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so my one year no buy is officially over tomorrow at midnight! I did not buy any new products that I had a surplus of. I did get many new items, but they were either purchased by my bf, given to me as a gift, or I got them free with a BOGO! It wasn't as tough as I thought. These are all the makeup items I used up, all of these items were part of my stash.

Although my stash seems somewhat smaller. I didn't really use up as much as I wanted. I think that the best point of this no-buy was how much money I saved from not buying pointless items. I would really reccommend this to anyone who wants to save. I am ending my no-buy, but I am going to transition to a low-buy. I'm still unemployed and I have to keep my priorities straight!

Eyes

Shadows- 3

NYC Baked Shadow in Tiger's Eye

Mark Kay Shadow duo in Fig

ELF Quad in Butternut

Mascaras- 5

WnW H20 Proof Mascara

Maybelline Unstoppable Mascara

VS Beauty Rush Mascara

Avon Wash-Off Waterproof Mascara Mini

Avon False Lash Effect Mascara

Liners-1

WnW Black Eyeliner

Lips

Balms- 4

Medicated Chapstick

WnW Pout Protector

Classic Chapstick

Blue Crazeberry Chapstick

Lipstick- 1

Maybelline Moisture Whip l/s in Peachy Sheen

Liners- 1

Maybelline Expert Eyeliner in Chestnut Brown (Always used as lipliner)

Glosses- 0 :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Face

Foundation- 0

Concealer- 1

Almay Smart Shade Concealer

Powder- 1

Almay Clear Complexion Powder

Blush- 3

Cover Girl Cheekers in Snow Plum

Milani Luminous

Mark Blush in Afterglo

Other

Removers-3

Rose Makeup Wipes

Revlon Eye Makeup Remover Pen

MAC Pro Eye Remover

Tools-3

L'Oreal Decrease Primer

Random Powder Blush

Mark Makeup Bag

That's awesome! I have been contemplating a low buy, since I really do have a ton of stuff.

I'm on a no-buy right now! You've inspired me to keep working hard at it!! I'd love to use some items up! Way to go!

Me too. Next year I'm going on a no-buy. I have just been trying out stuff for the most part and now have too many things I need to use up now.

That's good stuff. I just hope I could be as disciplined as you.

yay!! it feels good doesnt it? I've been on a no/low buy for...3 years? And while I've had the occasion loose my mind period, it hasnt been nearly as often as it could have been. theres something satisfiying about using up something.

That's awesome you stuck to your no-buy and used up so much stuff.  I'm actually on a no-buy for 2011, and this post makes me realize it will be do-able.  I can't believe how many things you used up in one year!

I'm on a low buy as well.  I don't need any blushes, lip stuff, mascaras, or eye shadows until they are all used up.  The only thing I'm going to buy is foundation until it runs out.

I really should go on a no-buy...your story of using stuff up is inspiring, fersrsly. I'm going to give myself...hmmmm....$50 more to spend on makeup, then I'm going on a low-buy/no-buy for at least 2 months. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm hopefully going to be changing jobs soon (I'm not sure just when, but hopefully within the year).  The new job will involve a sizable pay cut for the first couple of years, and then my salary will go back up to a bit more than I'm making now.  All that is my way of explaining that a no-buy is in the works as we speak!

I kind of went about it a little backwards - knowing that my salary may be cut, I went out on a major stock up over the past handful of months so that I'd have a fairly decent stash for when/if the cut comes.  The stock ups include three of my favorite blush, and two of my second favorite blush.  I have a third shade that I'm not crazy about that I already owned, but I'm keeping it anyway.  I also stocked up on three of my favorite eyeshadow, and picked up five new shadows I hadn't owned before, plus four lipsticks.  That wasn't one big haul all at once, of course - that was a little bit at a time since around Christmas till this past week.  But now I'm done - other than stuff that I'll run out of like mascara, liner and foundation, I'm done for a couple of years, I think!  I'm on a no-buy until the indefinite future unless I run out of something - I mean, I have to be, there's no way I can keep buying makeup if I change jobs!

I've also cut out a few high end things to less pricey items that work just as well - for example, a cheaper retinol, a cheaper vitamin c serum, much cheaper hair care (including a cheaper new salon!), etc.

I think I might go on a low/no buy. It would be nice to save money! However, it's going to be hard to resist the temptation of buying new stuff that comes out...

Well, after a new development, it looks like I won't be taking that job that involves an initial pay cut, so I'll be staying at my current job with my same salary till who knows when.  But I still want to stick to my no-buy - since I stocked up, there isn't a thing that I need, so I don't see why I should go shopping again!

Back