How to get mineral foundation to stay on my face!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a problem.....Every brand of mineral foundation slides of my t zone after

3 hours. It goes patchy and totally runs off my nose. I have tried the matte and setting powders but nothing works. Is there a primer that will help and it ok for combo skin?

I don't know if you have this in Scotland...

It's silicone based and it is way cheaper than any official makeup primer but it works.  There are tons and tons of threads here about monistat as a primer.  It's not for yeast infections so you don't have to worry.  In small amounts, it doesn't clog pores nor cause pimple breakouts.  I love this stuff.  It keeps my foundation on even in the hottest and most humid weather.  Put it on after your moisturizer.  I also dampen my brush before dipping it into the mineral foundation.  It helps keep the powder from flying around too much and it also sets the foundation as it goes on. Use a spritzer bottle and spritz your brush once or twice. 

thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i spray my brush already but i shall keep an eye out for the gel. I've herd good things about it but if its as good as all that i'm sure i can get it on the net somewhere. Only problem is i may have to get it on line but if it stops my nose from being bare i'll look lol

Sorry, but I have oily skin.  I've tried the Monistat...no luck..at least for me...I did order Mattify! Ultra...I've been using it for the last week and all I can say is ... WOW! .. they have a regular formula...but I'm pretty oily...so I ordered the Ultra...

After trying BE several year ago...I thought I would get back into MMU...went back to BE...nope..slid right off my face...I have a list a long as my arm of all the MMU I've tried (online , department store & retail)....so far I can't honestly say I've found anything that would stay on all day & give me the coverage that I want (medium)...

Even after I got the Mattify! Ultra I tried the MMU samples that I have saved again...now  my face stays matte longer, but the coverage is just not there....

The only thing that I have found that will even stay on my face past lunch time and give me the coverage I want..L'Oreal Infallible (the one with the red label) I apply it with a foundation brush (ELF).  I put my Mattify on before and after and by the time lunch rolls around...the shine is minimal and the coverage is still there....

If anyone out there knows of an MMU for us oily skinned girls who want good coverage and staying power... please let me know....

There is a thread here about Milk Of Magnesia to help with controlling oily skin.  Maybe you can give that a try.

I use MAC's prep+prime primer for face, which is good for me. Fyrinnae sells a powder primer that works well to mattify, it's so thin in texture you can also use it as setting powder with no problem.

I'm not sure if this will help since I think you are buying it already made. I haven't tried "tweaking" ready-made products but I've heard of people doing it.

The first time I tried to make powder I had the same problem getting it to stick.

Googling around I found 3 things that help. One is called Magnesium Stearate. It will really help not just face powder but eyeshadow also stay on.

There is also a serecite coated with methicone, and serecite coated with carnauba wax. (I thought carnauba was was for cars, but it's for faces, too!)

Maybe it is my imagination but both of those work so well at keeping the powder from flying around the room that I think they may help it stay on my face too.

There's another thing called silica microspheres that is what they put in expensive high definition powders that I found out about from reading complaints from people who said too much of it dried their skin out. I have oily skin, so my reaction was "Don't threaten ME with a good time!"

It works better than any oil control anything I ever bought. But unless your skin is very pale it can give an ashy look so add tiny bit, check, another tiny bit, and check, until you find the maximum amount that works for you. For some reason the serecite with carnauba wax helps with that too.

I hope I spelled all those names right.

a lot to take in lol m.o.magnesium made my skin flake and macs quite pricey. I bought revlon colorstay and it was RUBBISH. not buying that again.

Monistat isnt on sale here and theres nothing else like it, maybe look on e bay. Dunno where i would get the seperate ingredients like silica etc.

Monistat stopped making it I think but big drugstores have clones of it. Say that you want dimethicone gel. That is all it is. It's in expensive primer products too.

Maybe what did flakes was Milk of Magnesia? I remember that as an old home style remedy for bumps & oil issues (it didn't work on me for that but benzoyl peroxide did. That is what the pro active refining mask is but it costs many times a little container of benzoyl peroxide that lasts for a long time because just one drop on a bump removes the bump in 2 days or 1 day. Never put benzoyl peroxide all over your face. It will hurt it.)

Magnesium Stearate is just tiny bit, of sticking ingredient, also in most makeup from stores. Maybe 5 per cents of the whole.

The 2 big US companies I know that sell stuff to make into makeup are TKB Trading & Coastal Scents. Maybe other people know more stores? They both have cheap prices & good ingredients but on blogs I see people say shipping away from the US is high. (TKB has dimethicone gel but I didn't try theirs yet but it's a generic ingredient so it will be the same wherever you get it).

If you find other people who want things in Scotland you could combine your lists and divide the the shipping up. That's what people in Asia do all the time for buying everything from US websites. Shipping to there from the US is even worse than to Europe. (It reminds me maybe that's why so many old novels have characters who are "wealthy shipping magnates"   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Monistat did not work for me, my skin is oily just like Tammy's - foundi ran off my forehead by midday

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is a thread here about Milk Of Magnesia to help with controlling oily skin.  Maybe you can give that a try.

I agree with this

Monistat may be a good makeup primer, but doesn´t have any (at least to my knowledge) oil controlling properties! A silicone based primer won´t do any miracles for you oily skin, I know cause mine is super oily as well and only truly long-lasting foundations stay on my skin (I don´t have much experience with mineral foundation myself)

Milk of magnesia is the only thing that actually does control my oiliness. If you want to use a primer, apparently Smashbox Anti-Shine is basically milk of magnesia in primer form!

Originally Posted by purplelassie30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

a lot to take in lol m.o.magnesium made my skin flake and macs quite pricey. I bought revlon colorstay and it was RUBBISH. not buying that again.

Monistat isnt on sale here and theres nothing else like it, maybe look on e bay. Dunno where i would get the seperate ingredients like silica etc.

sorry I just read this. With Milk of magnesia, I only use it where I actually get oily, not allover. And I only use a little bit. Sometimes it feels like after the MOM the foundation kinda "drags" over my skin because there is no "slip". That´s when I use a thin layer of Monistat or any other primer over it, to help the foundation glide on better.

Since you´re using a powder mineral foundation and buffing it in (which is micro-exfoliation of the skin, depending on how much you buff) that´s what may cause the flaking (in addition to the MOM). So I´d stick with MOM and just use a silicone primer over it....or try Smashbox Anti-Shine, which would have the oil control properties of MOM PLUS the slip of the added silicones

For primer, i can suggest All Mat by Makeup Forever, i like it. I also use Fyrinnae's rice paper primer, it helps with the oil control (i have a combination skin though), but for the staying power i think i prefer a silicon primer.

Monistat didnt work for me pretty much,,it just made me oilier.  I tried this rose water spritzing but for a while my face looks nice and glowy but after a while it became an oil sleek.  I like the glowy look when applying setting spray of many kinds but than again it makes a mess after a while.  I still love my mineral makeup no matter what..lols

i didn't sure if i should post my probs here.anyway,i used a BB cream product but I don't know if that products that makes my skin have so many whitehead..

I use BB Mineral Cream from Etude House.any suggestion for a better product for me?

FYI - I ordered samples of LA Minerals.  They make a formula (Valley Girl) for oily skinl as well as an oil control powder.  I have been using these for the past week and the staying power is really awesome.  I do see some slight shine after about 3 hours of wear - for me this is a record with MMU - the coverage is great.  Not cakey at all.  I applied the oil control powder before and after applying my foundation.  The samples were really generous too.  I plan on ordering samples of their concealer and eyeshadow as well.  So far, this is the only MMU I have tried that keeps my shine under control and gives me the coverage I want. 

Latest posts

Back