Products I don't hear about on Makeup Talk

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so I have realised there are a few brands I don't see folks on makeup talk using or chatting about much, if at all.  Some being Illamasqua, Sheseido, Shu Umera (not sure I spelt that one right), Ben Nye etc.  Is it that they are not really popular?  Or difficult to get?  Or something else.

I've noticed that too and I really wish there was more talk about these brands. I suppose it's because they're not very easy to get in the US, considering Illamasqua is a UK brand (though I think US customers can get it from Sephora) and Sue Uemura has stopped releasing products in the US. Shiseido is popular in Europe and you can find it in all stores, but I don't know the deal about it in the US.

Personally I love many things from Illamasqua: blushes, foundations, nail polishes, lip glosses, lipsticks and brushes are amazing! And I can't live without Sue Uemura Cleansing Oil or Shiseido's mascara primer. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've heard about Ben Nye's products and would like to try them out sometime!

There isn't too much talk, but that doesn't mean you can't start threads about them! I think Illamasqua's popularity died out quickly. I have heard/read that the quality doesn't match the price, and that might be why they have fallen out of favor.

I bet there are a lot of Ben Nye lovers on here.

I know Gossmakeup on Youtube use many of these brands, but for some reason, they are not much talked about on blogs and such...as someone said maybe because its more UK based or they failed in terms of hype and so forth.  I myself have never used any of these products other than ben nye and dont mind getting some honest reviews (those gurus can be biased sometimes).....

Ben Nye is very hard to get in my country. The very few stores i found, online or real life, don't have the best selection, and their pictures are so great i'm still hesitating between shades of concealer (i did consult the brand's catalogue but it's not as helpful as you might think). I gave up ordering from US online stores mostly for the shipping costs, unless i was to buy more than a few products it just isn't worth the hassle.

Shiseido is sold in my country, but when i look at the products and their prices, they don't appear so interesting. I also want to stress it's not the same products you find in Japan, and i much prefer Shiseido's japanese lines of makeup compared to what i see at Sephora.

I don't know much Illamasqua, i'm pretty sure i would have to order it online.

I've never seen any of the other brands other than online but I've seen Ben Nye in a couple of costume stores in my city. The quality is really good and I've bought their eyeshadows for $8 each.  

I'm a Ben Nye whore.  I fall in love with almost everything they make. When I first got REALLY serious with makeup, EyeCandyDiva and Luxotica (I think) right here on MUT were the ones who told me about Ben Nye and La Femme for bright and affordable colors. So thanks to them, I decided to look into other brands and not get sucked up in the MAC hype.

Never tried Illamasqua because they're just repackaged Kryolan (another lover of mine), or japanese brands because they aren't easy to find, and their products really aren't that interesting to me to make me look past the price.

I think mostly what you see on blogs are products that ppl rave/talk about because they've been sent promo items, and that trickles onto the makeup boards. Other than that, we tend to mostly talk about the latest product releases of the more popular brands.

Ben Nye is awesome.  It just doesn't get as much hype as other brands and can be a bit hard to find, other than online stores.  I actually haven't tried the other brands to OP mentioned.

hey everyone I'm new to the forum! Most of these brands I've never heard of, some I have. What do you all think of Artistry? It's the brand used in the Miss America Pageant. I believe the sponsored

the event. Anyhow, the girls looked absolutely fab! Just wondering if you all have tried it

Yes - the contestants did look nice at the pageant last evening.  As for the brands mentioned, I have not heard of a lot of them.  Now I get to research some new brands.

I thought Ben Nye was stage make-up...which line are we talking about here? hmmmm 
icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm really interested in Ben Nye, I've looked into where the products are sold in the Toronto area, but so far I've only found one place.. Maybe I'll look further into it again, because I've heard only good things about the eye shadows...

Originally Posted by dreme /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hey everyone I'm new to the forum! Most of these brands I've never heard of, some I have. What do you all think of Artistry? It's the brand used in the Miss America Pageant. I believe the sponsored

the event. Anyhow, the girls looked absolutely fab! Just wondering if you all have tried it
Artistry, has some really good quality stuff, I've been using the hydrating foundation for ever I only recently switched to MAC just for a bit of a change up.. They have an OK line variety wise though.. I feel like the things they carry could be a lot better because there are holes everywhere in what I feel all moderately priced makeup brands should have... Like primers and a steady brush collection.. Its like Artistry will bring out a "set" of brushes each season but keep none of them on a constant year to year basis.. I feel like they need to branch out more and get a bigger variety of colors (eyeshadow wise) They have pretty good skincare stuff.. The brand many years ago used to carry a much heavier line, they had everything, a huge eyeshadow collection, nail polishes, even primers lol but they have dwindled, I think because maybe they're trying to re invent themselves

The one thing that really bothers me is they'll come out with great stuff like an amazing bronzer, or eyeshadow palette and its LE.. Which is dumb because they don't have a big line to begin with so they should just constantly carry it lol

i love ben nye, its just really hard to find. the only place ive been able to find it is at Rickys NYC. they sell Kroylan too

I'd like to try Ben Nye, but I want to find them in a store here. I'll have to visit the local costume shops soon.

Ben Nye is actually rather popular among make up artists, but it's just hard to find.  You're not going to find it in a normal store.

Your best bet is to either find a specialty makeup store, or a costume store.  A lot of them might have a small selection of specialty/stage makeup (A lot at least carry the "clown white" makeup year round that Mehron and Ben Nye have).  It helps to talk to the manager if they carry those and see if they're willing to put in an order for you the next time they re-order their Ben Nye.  A lot of times the stores are willing to include anything from the catalog with their next order for a guaranteed sale, even if they normally only carry a couple of things from them.

Latest posts

Back