Brown with a twist of blue and purple

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

I´m addicted to brown eyeshadows because it´s sofisticated, beautiful and goes with everything. However, sometimes plain brown can be a bit boring and since life is good I decided to leave my comfort zone and do it with a twist.

brownpurple.jpg

1. As always we start with a base. I like both Urban Decay Primer Potion and MAC paint pot and since the pain pot was already in my little everyday makeup bag I decided to go for that in the color Painterly. Make sure you get it underneath your eye as well since there will be eyeshadow there as well ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also filled in my eyebrows at this point with aMAC 208 angled brush and MAC Coquette eyeshadow. ( I see I should´ve used a brow gel, but of corse I´ve misplaced it during travelling )

IMG_38532.jpg

2. Dig through your makeup stash for the brightest blue you´ve got and place it like in the picture below. If your eyeshadow isn´t as vibrant as you wish you can try to put some MAC Fix+ or something similar on the brush before applying. I used a MAC 214 brush and MAC Freshwater eyeshadow.

IMG_3856.jpg

3. Now you need to find a warm burgundy/purple eyeshadow to place around it. I used a MAC 239 to apply MAC Satellite Dreams and some of the MAC Nocturnelle. Make sure you blend it out and into the blue. I used (one of many) Sigma E-25 blending brush.

IMG_3858.jpg

4. Now we can finally play with our dear brown eyeshadow. I chose MAC Mulch and applied it with a MAC 217 brush in the crease and blended it slightly outwards and into the purple.

IMG_3859.jpg

5. Since this look was about mixing it up a little, I was so crazy that I even used some glitter! I used the Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliner in Air Guitar which is a beautiful glitter in blue. I dabbed it lightly on top of the blue eyeshadow and dragged some into the purple as well. Sadly this doesn´t show up as much as I hoped on the picture.

IMG_3866.jpg

6. Then I applied gel liner along the upper lashline and pointing it out in the outer corner. I used Bobbi Brown in Black Ink.

IMG_3876.jpg

7. The undereye area needs some attention too, but I still think it should be kept rather simple since the focus is on the blue so I used the black eye liner Zero from Urban decay to draw a line halfway, and then smudged it out with some of the same brown eyeshadow I used earlier (MAC Mulch) to create a smokey effect. Make sure the line meets the other line on top of the eye.

IMG_3879.jpg

8. Nearly finished now. I just popped on some falsies and slapped on a coat of mascara (and some more gel liner) to finish off. Voilá!

IMG_3896.jpg

IMG_3889.jpg

IMG_3883.jpg

This was not so diff to do and i like it, the choice of colours are great.  I will try this when i get the time.  Thank you very much.

This is beautiful! It's not too crazy but has a pop of color that draws the eye. I love your step-by-step pictures - really quality stuff. I can't wait to try this. Thanks!

Beautiful effect! this is a great tutorial, I'll have to try it out if I can find those colors in my (overcrowded) makeup drawer.

That is gorgeous!  I'm also a huge brown shadow fan - most of my shadows are varying shades and shimmers of brown.  This looks like it would be really fun to try!

I cannot wait to try this--thank you for such an easy to follow tutorial!!!! The colors are awesome!!!!

Back