Vegetarians?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any other veggies/vegans on MUT.  I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian myself.  I love cooking andI have lots and lots of recipes that I have accumulated or invented myself.  Was thinking about posting them with pictures on days that I cook but didn't know if anyone would be interested.  I'll probably try it anyway as everything I cook has to be yummy for all the meat eaters I live with as well!!

I'm not but I don't need meat with every meal.  My favorite pizza is pineapple and mushroom (or eggplant and portobellos at my "fancy" pizza-by-the-slice place) and one of my favorite foods is veggie shabushabu (if you've never done this before it's sooo good and soooo much freaking food).  still awesome foods

I was never a vegetarian but when I lived at home, my mom used to cook with minimal meat.  She'd make stirfries that would utilize 1 pork shoulder steak and make enough to feed 4 people and enough leftovers for the next day!  She would cut up the meat so small but it would still be full of flavour that you did not notice. 

Yay!!!  Post 'em.  I'm a vegetarian and always looking for new stuff to eat (notice I did NOT say cook.  My family would be responsible for that.)

I promise anything I can cook you can too!!  I can be a real disaster in the kitchen sometimes if I try any advanced methods.  I'm pretty sucessful when I keep everything semi-homeade. 

Lol, i can cook when i'm not being a lazy ass, but something simple to prepare is quinoa. It's among many other things proteins, so all you need to do is add the veggies of your choice. For desert, i favor fruit crumble. I usually cut an apple into pieces or a banana into small slices, then i cover with the crumbly part. For that i use maximum two teaspoons of sugar (cane), one teaspoon of margarine (don't do it in a rush like me, let it warm to room temperature before) and i eyeball the flour. Once everything is mixed and evenly spread on the fruit, i just place it in the oven and i get a quick but yummy desert.

I also have several books of Terry Romero and Isa Chandra Moskowitz, their quinoa/pineapple/cashew nuts stir fry is yummy and really easy to do. They're my go to books when i want to cook but don't have any idea on what.

I love greek quinoa ! Yummy! I'm starting to play around with tempeh and seitan which is a lot of fun and there are sooo many options.  There are so many more protein options out there than tofu with much better textures and flavors.  I made a tempeh "philly cheesesteak" sammich the other day that was to die for. 

Nice to meet you too Kaylin! I like meeting new vegetarians and vegans. 

This is my favorite vegetable barley soup. My husband, the omnivore, also thinks it's fab. 

Barley Vegetable Soup:
1/2C uncooked barley, 1 bay leaf, 3 carrots chopped, 3 celery sticks chopped, 1 onion chopped, 1/4C edamame, 1/4C corn, 1 zucchini chopped, 4 tomatoes chopped, 2Tbsp evoo, 5C water, 5 cubes vegetable bouillon, 1tsp salt, 1tsp garlic powder, 1/4tsp pepper

With evoo saute onions, celery, carrots and tomatoes on med heat for 5 min until softened. Add barley, corn, edamame, water, bouillon, bay leaf, salt, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 min. Add your zucchini and simmer for another 10 min. Serve with whole grain crackers.

Oh that looks really really good, and easy!!  Soups are so much fun to make, you can play around with the ingredients so much, and it's a great way to get all the veggies and stuff you need in your diet into one big bowl.  I'm obsessed with  zucchini, I can't wait till winter is over so I can start getting them out of the garden.  It's super easy to grow.  I'll definately try this soup on a cold day though!!

I like pumpkin soup during winter, if you have a bag of frozen veggies in your freezer, just use that for your soup. I also like to add a cube of dehydrated vegetable stock, it makes your veggies more flavourful (just check the vegetable stock doesn't contain anything it shouldn't). I like zucchini soup as well, zucchini and pumkin are probably my favorite squashes.

Oh that looks really really good, and easy!!  Soups are so much fun to make, you can play around with the ingredients so much, and it's a great way to get all the veggies and stuff you need in your diet into one big bowl.  I'm obsessed with  zucchini, I can't wait till winter is over so I can start getting them out of the garden.  It's super easy to grow.  I'll definately try this soup on a cold day though!!
All three reasons why I make soup often, easy, delicious and good for your health ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I've always heard zucchini is easy to grow. I'll have to try that.

I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo) and have been for over half of my life. Recently I have been an Ovo vegetarian and there are somedays that I am a vegan.

I try to be as vegan as I can be.  It's hard for me to find substitutes for the dairy products that I love so much.  I do my best to get them from organic-cruelty free farms and brands.

Originally Posted by kaylin_marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I try to be as vegan as I can be.  It's hard for me to find substitutes for the dairy products that I love so much.  I do my best to get them from organic-cruelty free farms and brands.

Do you live near a Whole Foods or a Sprouts? If you haven't tried Daiya cheese yet, you should. It's the best alternative to cheese I've ever had. Have you tried nut milk too?

Nut milk is very good ! I have tried almond and hazelnut, they make a wonderful treat !

Do you guys have any ideas how to use quinoa. I'm on a diet that requires more protein intake, i've made an effort into accepting white meat for lunch at my workplace, but the rest of the time i wanted to use quinoa for its high protein content. Although i have a book full of recipes just on quinoa, most of them aren't useful in such a diet, so any ideas you could share i would appreciate !

Sorry I don't really do anything fancy with quinoa. For the most part I normally top it with raw peppers and onions, or sauted broccoli, asparagus or other green veggie.

But I'm sure you already know that vegetable protein, tempeh and tofu are all very high in protein so maybe cook yourself some of that and either top or mix it in with your quinoa?

Originally Posted by kaylin_marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Almond Milk is amazing, especially Dark Chocolate by Silk. You can purchase it in original, as well as, Vanilla, as well. Soy Milk is a great alternative, as is Coconut Milk (which is great for soups). I find Almond to be the best, which is what I am currently using. You can find an array of different brands at just about any grocery store. I live in a smaller town and have managed to find it there often. Soy cheese serves as a great alternative. I am a fan of some soy cheese, but other soy cheese I am not.

Latest posts

Back