Schooling for Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kinda new at this so please bear with me.

I'm 17, still in high school but I've had a love for makeup since I started wearing it. I live in Missouri, and they're are no courses in Makeup Artistry anywhere even IN this state(that google can tell me). So I was interested in doing an online course.

Would this be a good investment or should I consider moving out-of-state to go to class? Any online programs to suggest?

Hi Amanda, Personally i think if you're going for make up it is better to go to an actual school so it will be more hands on and you will have someone to help you right away. if i were you i'll go out of state... that's just my opinion though. it's all up to you. good luck on your decision. ^^

i went and took the Nomausa classes on line and Luv it. I live in arkansas and there are no schools here for it either.  I am now a certified freelance makeup artist and I could n t be happier with the results from school.  I am also enrolled full time for esthetics and I will practice both makeup artistry and esthetics when I am done.  Good luck and if you go to Nomausa.com tell them Lorri Boyce sent ya !!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hey! That is awesome!! I'm soooo glad to hear that! I will definately look into that!

What was the prices like there? Did they supply anything?

Looks like it could be promising for those who cannot make it to a school.  Thanks for the post

I am a successful makeup artist in Seattle and I never went to school.  I trained on the MAC counter for 3 years and got certified.  How ever I have been turned down for positions because I don't have an Esthetician license.  Why not get your Esthetician license and keep practicing your makeup skills.  Then you can work in Spa's and stores and freelance.  Or if you become a hair stylist you can do weddings or even work on movie sets.

Good Luck @PIATParties

I was thinking about doing that, but I'm not sure what an Esthetician does. Guess I'll Google it.

Lol

i'd be interested in knowing what it cost you to go to school online. i do have a couple different schools locally for me, but would like to do a cost comparison, since you are so happy with your online experience.  thanks in advance!

NOMAusa says their price is like $395 for the entire course. That's super cheap and makes it kinda seem sketchy to me...

Am I just over-analyzing?

Originally Posted by lorrib9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i went and took the Nomausa classes on line and Luv it. I live in arkansas and there are no schools here for it either.  I am now a certified freelance makeup artist and I could n t be happier with the results from school.  I am also enrolled full time for esthetics and I will practice both makeup artistry and esthetics when I am done.  Good luck and if you go to Nomausa.com tell them Lorri Boyce sent ya !!!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OMG thank you so much! I had no idea this was possible. THANKS! 

I'd say yes and no... 

Yes if you have another MUA around that can help you along the way.. 

No just because you might not have someone telling you if you are doing it right or wrong... 

but again.. I never went to school for makeup I just did a lot of makeup on others and read about 10 books on makeup and watched a billion DVDs... and of course consulted with qualified MUAs whose help did fill in the blanks 

:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Go for it if you have no other option and then just practice at home and find another MUA that can help you out when in doubt of your own work 

Well they were great in my opinion you turn in assignments and they grade them in detail, you can watch video's on youtube and learn alot as well.  Just because you have a teacher standing beside you doesn't mean you will apply better makeup.  It was worth every penny.  Now I am a certified makeup artist and not to toot my horn but I'm a darn good one. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok so my question is do they teach you by youtube videos? What is the process ?

Outwest

I would definitely be willing to try an online school.  I've blown money in worse ways! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you want hands on though, try googling for makeup workshops in your area - sometimes makeup artists offer those.  It's not a full blown class but sometimes they can be really in-depth.  OR find a makeup artist that will let you be their apprentice.  There are some out there.

Also, can someone message me and tell me how to automatically add my signature :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Live the Lux:  livethelux.wordpress.com

I would love to do something like that.  I was thinking about taking some specialized MAC classes to get certified. 

I would love to do something like that.  I was thinking about taking some specialized MAC classes to get certified. 

http://makeupmag.com/schools_list/country/223/

In WA state you don't have to be licensed to do makeup so long as you are not working in a salon OR charging for makeup (which is why MAC forces customers to buy products since they can't legally charge for applying the makeup). It's a good idea to go to MU school or cosmetology to learn the basics including proper sanitation which many self-taught MUAs fail to do. I've cringed when seeing MUA on tv (various reality programs) apply makeup in between people without cleaning their brushes in between clients OR using disposables. GROSS!

Because you're in high school I recommend seeing if your high school has a cosmetology program in place, many do and your school picks up that tab. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back