Bare Minerals for eczema

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you think it's good for someone with eczmea to wear Bare minerals? I'm 15. I just bought the kit and it came with a Matte foundation. I tried it on at Macy's and I little itch here and there but after I while it went away. I took off the make up and there's no redness. Is it safe for me to start using the kit? Or should I just switch to Everyday Minerals? Please help. 

Bismuth oxychloride makes yours itchy and I think it's one of the ingredients in bare minerals.  It gives the makeup a pearly finish.  It reacts with many people's skin.  If you can put up with the itching until it goes away and it's not burning or giving you a rash then you can use it.  If you can return it then I probably would recommend it because who really wants to put up with itching even if it went away in a few minutes. 

Thank you. Do you think Everyday Minerals would be better for my skin than Bare Minerals?

You can order their sample and find out.  The thing about eczema is that its an allergic reaction to either what you eat or what is on your skin.  Everyone is different because what I'm allergic to, you may not be.  Another thing about eczema is that the allergen can be cumulative so if you don't get red and rashy today, you could be red and rashy 2 days from now. 

I personally have had no reaction to EDM.  I loved it for as long as it was affordable to me and when the super kit went away and the shipping charges got stupid.  I based my own foundation base on the ingredients list on EDM and then tweeked it.  Get the sample so you are not out too much $ if you don't like it.  The matte formulation in EDM provides the 2nd heaviest coverage.  Intensive is the heaviest.  I prefer original or semi-matte because I don't want heavy foundation but I have the option to build it up on places where I may need it. 

I don't have a rash or red bumps today. My skin looks nice though and really soft. When that happens, I know my period is going to start soon. I'm not sure if I should give Bare Minereals another try. I bought it at Macy's so I'm not sure if they would let me return if I used only a little bit. I could try EDM.

I have very, very sensitive skin, and I've been using Bare Minerals for seven years without a reaction.  But that's just lucky in my case - I know that Bare Minerals is one of the mineral brands that a lot of women have a reaction to.

If you want to try the EDM sample kit, I don't hear many people complaining about reactions with that makeup.  I personally didn't like it, but that's because I needed more coverage (which I didn't think it gave me) - you probably don't have that same problem! 
biggrin.gif

It's always just a matter of trying samples and seeing what you like the best.  I personally can't imagine what my skin would be like without Bare Minerals - it's been very good to me.  But I also know a lot of people who don't like it at all.  So try both and see which ones you like better, and if either of them give you any reaction.  Good luck!

By all means, if you don't have any reaction, keep using it. It's true bismuth can be very itchy, but if you're lucky with that particular ingredient, then that's perfectly ok to use bare minerals :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That said, speaking of my own experience, bare minerals doesn't have the best coverage or staying power, feel free to order samples from opther companies to compare, if that's what you want.

I actually think that the Bare minerals Matte foundation is Bismuth oxychloride free! Of course you can use it if it feels good on your skin.

I have used both the Matte and Original formula of BE and there is more coverage with the original one but then you get the shine/glow and of course the itch if you are sensitive.

Lately I have been trying out a lot of other mineral makeup-brands and there are so many!! You could order samples and try some others if you want to find the perfect one for you.

I can't use most of the mineral foundations and I have tried several brands.  I have rosacea and nothing will make it flair up as fast as mineral makeup.  I can wear the eyeshadows and mineral veil as long as I already have my regular foundation on.  It seems to create a barrier between my skin and the mineral products.

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't use most of the mineral foundations and I have tried several brands.  I have rosacea and nothing will make it flair up as fast as mineral makeup.  I can wear the eyeshadows and mineral veil as long as I already have my regular foundation on.  It seems to create a barrier between my skin and the mineral products.

Have you tried Lucy Minerals? She herself also ha rosacea and it covers her up really well.

I've found liquid foundations that I'm happy with.  The thing is that certain people are particularly sensitive to mineral products.  It's not necessarily the fact that I have rosacea that makes me sensitive to it.  There is a specific mineral in the makeups that irritates my skin and therefore my rosacea.  It was a horrific experience when my rosacea was at it's worse and I'm packing on the mineral foundation trying to cover it up (thinking it's a natural product and therefore safe) and the makeup was steadily making things worse and I didn't know it.  At this point I'd just assume be done with mineral makeup.  There are other products that work well for me.  Thanks for posting this, there may be others who it would do very well for.

Jeannine

Originally Posted by lulillan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried Lucy Minerals? She herself also ha rosacea and it covers her up really well.

I actually think that the Bare minerals Matte foundation is Bismuth oxychloride free! Of course you can use it if it feels good on your skin.

I have used both the Matte and Original formula of BE and there is more coverage with the original one but then you get the shine/glow and of course the itch if you are sensitive.

Lately I have been trying out a lot of other mineral makeup-brands and there are so many!! You could order samples and try some others if you want to find the perfect one for you.
You are correct! Their matte formula does not contain Bismuth. All shades contain: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides. I think that some peoples reaction to bismuth may have been a big reason they made another formula. Plus some people don't want the glow. Not sure which ingredient would have caused a little itch. Like others said, what bothers you may not bother someone else and visa versa. P.S. Hypoallergenic means nothing more then "most likely gentle." It's a marketing term.

I use the Rare Minerals, which has now been discontinued and I haven't tried their new skin care line, facial cleansing products. I have rosacea and found using something like an apricot scrub really inflames my skin. I know those with eczmea tend to have just as sensitive skin. I'd recommend their skin care line BUT only after you get some samples and try it for yourself. As for their actually makeup line I don't use it and tend to stay with MUFE and drugstore brands. I say just some samples at Macy's and go from there. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by KickItLow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you think it's good for someone with eczmea to wear Bare minerals? I'm 15. I just bought the kit and it came with a Matte foundation. I tried it on at Macy's and I little itch here and there but after I while it went away. I took off the make up and there's no redness. Is it safe for me to start using the kit? Or should I just switch to Everyday Minerals? Please help. 

Does anyone know if Lauroyl Lysine is harmful to your skin?

How long does a jar of BE Matte lasts? I have been using BE Matte for two months maybe less and I don't wear it everyday but I only got half jar left or slightly less than that!!

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or is it just my application....

Originally Posted by nooby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know if Lauroyl Lysine is harmful to your skin?

How long does a jar of BE Matte lasts? I have been using BE Matte for two months maybe less and I don't wear it everyday but I only got half jar left or slightly less than that!!

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Or is it just my application....
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=703434

http://truthinaging.com/ingredients/lauroyl-lysine

http://www.cosmetic-ingredient.com/cosmetic/Conditioner/Lauroyl%20Lysine/

It seems to be made from coconut oil or is coconut oil.

It doesnt sound too harmful, thanks for the links.

I read that some brands do not use nano or micronized particles. What exactly does that mean?

Wait their matte is Bismuth free? What the heck?! I changed it from matte to original cause it made me look really tan instead of my yellow-tan color... Or olive I guess. It looked really weird. 

Try http://hellominerals.com/ it's half the price and bismuth free!! There color formulations regarding foundations are almost identical as well as there bronzers and finishing powders(mineral veil). They have a discount going on right now for 25% until some time in April. I too, used Bare Minerals and loved it....sadly I reacted to the bismuth and the price. I've been using there products for almost 2 years with NO problems(knock on wood) . Get compliments every time I wear it!!

I have sensitive skin and get rashes easily from products I have been using organic wear and it works great and doesn't seem to clog my pores as much as other makeups! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I get rashes very easily and Bare Minerals in the only thing that consistantly works for me. I always keep coming back to it.

I have to get two different colors and blend them though and that took some getting use to. The variety of colors seems to have improved over the years I think.

Latest posts

Back