Do you buy off Ebay????

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tonight my daughter was sitting at her computer and asked me "Mom?  Is 50 MAC pigments for $35 a good deal?"  My jaw dropped and I had to go see what in the world she was looking at.  EBAY.  Hmmmmmm, ok, my next question was "How many days left on the auction?" (I'm thinking 22 days and its just a starting point).  NOPE!  Ends tomorrow.  Hmmmmm.  Final question "Lauryn, where is it shipping from?"  She replies Hong Kong.  BINGO!!!!!  Frauds.  I'll admit that I have purchased my NYX shadows off Ebay but only from reputable dealers here in the US.  What about everyone else?  Do you buy off Ebay?  Does it matter if its authentic or not?  Honestly, I'm tempted by the lot of 12 MAC Dazzleglass for dirt cheap 
icon_redface.gif

99.9% of the time, MAC on ebay is fake. Not worth it.

I don't think I've ever bought any makeup from ebay, but I frequently get nail supply items as well as Lush goodies (generally just limited edition stuff after it's sold out in stores).

Lush on Ebay??????? Ooooooohhhhhh you shouldn't have told me that!  I'm a HUGE sucker for Bubble Bars and Bath Bombs.  I foresee my paypal getting hit hard this week 
keule.gif

I've been on a huge eBay binge.. Seriously, its a problem lol, So far since the beginning of Jan I've bought 500 white and 500 clear half tip acrylic nails, 100 fimo rods, 60 pairs of eyelashes, a set of coastal scents brushes, a 120 Beauty's factory palette, a Konad stamper and scraper.. I have checked out a few MAC things (brushes mostly) but I figure its not worth spending $43 on a brush + shipping to end up getting something fake just in order to save a few dollars..

I've got my eye on a few other things, like a full acrylic nail set (with the curing lamp included) ..Some of the eBay clothes stores are kick ass too, there's so much more variety then whats being sold in malls and etc. Generally, I'm a huge eBay fan lol

I've been on eBay since it just began.  It has its uses but you have to be careful of fraud.  I've bought hundreds of things on ebay but I've only bought a few cosmetic items.  I really need to have it in front of me to see if it'd work out or not. I do buy perfumes and skincare on ebay.  I've not been too disappointed with that.  Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. 

I haven't bought any makeup or beauty product from eBay in a while, however; I have before and will in the future. A lot of the MAC pigments that you can purchase in wholesale for incredibly cheap are fake. Most of the MAC pigments that are actually real and authentic tend to be sold alone and are about the same price or even more, than the actual pigments from MAC's website.

MAC's pigment quality is generally great, which is why the demand is so high. If you want to save money, there is really nothing that says you can't purchase the cheap pigments, but because of the manufacturing in cosmetics, in the end, you will get what you pay for.

I love eBay for nail stuff too! Currently waiting on 1000 rhinestones and nail art brushes.

I'm scared of buying anything off ebay.  My co-worker and sister is addicted to ebay and buys almost everything there, however I know so many people that got ripped off, that I chose to stay away.

I steered her away from it.  Being a 16 y/o girl that LOVES color, I took her to the Coastal Scents website and had her pick out Micas instead.  She doesnt like pressed shadows and gets a kick out of repotting them into containers that we get at Michaels craft store.  She then prints out really cute labels and has them organized in her vanity (yep!  she's my girl lol).  She's excited for them to come!  She already has all the colors of the NYX Pearl so hopefully Coastal Scents will live up to her expectations.  Now.....hmmmm......if i could only get my mind off the 12 lot Dazzleglass lol. 

Ebay scares me too LaShell,,,,,,,,,but at the same time intrigues me.  I keep thinking "What if it IS real? At that price? I'd be crazy not to get it."  Then the other side of my brain chimes in and says "NOOOOOOOOO!"  One of these days I'll break down and buy one of those pigments just to see the quality and end the debate going on in my head.  

Originally Posted by TheMmmGirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love eBay for nail stuff too! Currently waiting on 1000 rhinestones and nail art brushes.

What's the quality like?  I'm a big nail junkie and if you've discovered a hidden jewel I'd certainly love to know!!!!

Originally Posted by Rita Mechin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not anymore, I got ripped off too many time with fake stuff that don't work, very disappointed!

That's what I'm afraid of!!!!

I've bought makeup lots on Ebay a few times to resell, mostly drugstore brands, and I've had good experiences with one exception. Once I bought a lot of lipstick that was advertised as new, and technically, it was new in that they had never been opened, still had the clear wrapper on all of them, but they were really old. I checked a couple of them to make sure they were okay, and they smelled rancid and had that gummy, dried out feeling that lipstick gets when its really old. The seller fought me tooth and nail when I tried to get my money back, added negative feedback to my buyer rep and then tried to make it sound like it was buyer's remorse on my part. I eventually got my money returned, had to get Ebay involved, a major pain, and it dampened my enthusiasm for Ebay makeup deals.

Carol

I really want to buy a "lot" of something (preferably MAC) just to see.  No expectations in mind.  If it's junk, I'll pitch it but if its not?  Hmmmm.  Maybe I'll share with my daughter . 

Hey Carol?  I'm from the Southwest burbs of Chicago too!!!! (Plainfield, Woodridge, Naperville)  We just moved out to Phoenix last September.  What part are you from?  And how's the weather???? 

I used to buy asian skicnare and makeup off ebay, but then my country changed its shipping policy and i don't even have access to that store anymore. I still have a few sellers i check regularly (no makeup), but it has seriously dampened my enthusiasm.

I think I would cry if that happened to me Mag.......I go to Ebay to find alot of the harder to find makeup and even pay a premium just to have it.  Life without Ebay or Craigslist?  Unheard of in the house.....

Originally Posted by kikikinzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey Carol?  I'm from the Southwest burbs of Chicago too!!!! (Plainfield, Woodridge, Naperville)  We just moved out to Phoenix last September.  What part are you from?  And how's the weather???? 
Hi Kiki,

I'm near Tinley Park, a bit further south than you were. The weather is becoming Spring, still cold today, had a dusting of snow last night, but I see a few buds showing on my Crocus, should be blooming tomorrow when it's sunny and a little warmer, a sure sign that Spring is getting here. We're just coming out of the snowiest February on record here, a little over 29", yuccckkk!

Thanks,

Carol

My brother and his family live out in Orland Park!!!! I haven't talked to them in about a month so I've been clueless since your blizzard as to what was happening back home.  I'm glad its finally getting to Spring out there.  Bout time!!!!!!!! 

Back